Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • thinking of getting a digital slr – which one?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Looking for something around the 500 mark. Cannon Eos looks good. What do the stw knowlegable recommend?

DickBarton

I was just about to post a similar request – wife's birthday coming up and she is wanting to start doing photography – everywhere we go now she is snap happy with her camera phone and decided she actually enjoys photography and wants to get into it properly i.e. a proper camera rather than her phone.

Probably not looking to spend any more than £250 but have no idea what I'm looking for…the point-and-shoot idea that we have (8mp Fujifilm) apparently doesn't do it either so I'm guessing it is a digital SLR – but I'm clueless and she is pretty much as clueless as me – so I'm looking for some pointers (before I go and speak to someone in Jessops and get the sales pitch!).

Thanks.

rOcKeTdOg

can of worms about to be opened i recon

i've only had canons, seem easy to use for an idiot like me, good after sales service too

birdo
    Free Member

i ve got a dslr kit up for sale on the classifieds if it`s of any interest.would be willing to split to make a deal.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I'm looking for one too with a similar budget. It looks like pretty much an even split between an EOS-450 with a decent lens and a Nikon 5000D with a basic one for that budget. I've been recommended to look at warehouse express, but have found that Jessops are pretty close to that in terms of pricing also.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I was in a similar situation in the summer. Ended up with a Nikon D5000. I went with Nikon as a good mate who is a really good photographer has load of Nikon kit, which I could borrow, and he's also been a mine of useful info on using the thing. I was going to go with the next model down (D60 IIRC), but on handling both of them, the D5000 was a far more powerful bit of kit. The kit 18-55 lens is fine, but I've since lashed out on a second hand 18-200, which is another pretty useful piece of gear.

TheFlyingOx

For £250 you're not going to get anything other than the most basic D-SLR. If you're not fussy about 2nd hand, have a look on some photography forum classified sections and see what's what on there. You may get a bargain.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Couple of things to make the initial choice easier.

Firstly narrow it down to Canon or Nikon. Then, if you've got any mates that use one or the other and have lots of kit, chose that brand.

I went with Canon because all my family, friends and my employer happen to use it, allowing me to borrow lens and accessories – which often make a bigger impact on the photos you take than the pros and cons of Canons and Nikons using a basic lens.

molgrips
    Free Member

Everyone goes on about Canon and Nikon, and a lot of people don't know f-all about cameras 🙂 There are other makes of camera around, and they all have something to offer. For example, Sony are very well featured for the price, and feature cool stuff like continuous autofocus in live view mode. What this means is that by the time you've framed your shot, it's already focused and then snapping the picture is really instant – there's no autofocus lag at all. Or, if you are taking a picture of say someone on a bike, it will track focus on them without you having to do anything so when you press the button the picture's bagged. When I played with them they seemed extremely quick for this reason. Another option is Olympus – their cameras are very good and the range is the smallest and lightest, particulary the E420 which, when fitted with the super thin fixed-focus lens is no bigger than a big-ish compact.

The most sensible advice I had was to look at the features that were available, and decide what features you need/want, then buy appropriately. This does not necessarily mean Canon or Nikon for whilst they are good, they are not the only good brands.

Re DickBarton, I wouldn't have thought a DSLR is suitable for a complete photo numpty unless you really want to get into it. There are plenty of top quality compacts (aka 'bridge cameras') that will make your life easy and will be small to boot which, if you want to take your camera everywhere and snap on a whim, is an advantage! Not everone wants to wander around with a DSLR around their neck looking like a tourist. Some of the best pictures are snapped on a mobile.

Oh, and also check what's on special offer when buying cameras, as this for me is the biggest factor. Curry's Digital have Olympus E600 for £330 instead of £540 – presumably because every gadget-hoarder goes in and demands Canon or Nikon…

DrJ

Firstly narrow it down to Canon or Nikon.

No, don't. I am a Nikon user but if I was to buy a first DSLR today I'd give Sony a very serious look.

GaryLake
    Free Member

My point stems back into lenses and accessories for what it's worth. I can nearly always borrow what I need of someone with Canon – and the lenses and accessories are often way more important than the actual bodies IMO.

Or, if you are taking a picture of say someone on a bike, it will track focus on them without you having to do anything so when you press the button the picture's bagged.

So you mean like AI-Servo on Canons and Continuous Focus on Nikons?

birdo
    Free Member

i think he is referring to eye start focusing. so as soon as you look through the view finder it starts focusing with out the need to half press .dont think this is the same on the other 2.

molgrips
    Free Member

You don't even need to look through the viewfinder on Sonys, it even works in live view. All the time, no need to be pressing the button. It's very nice and almost made me buy a Sony. Plus it comes on the £300 one.

mogrim

I wouldn't worry about the brand, except for the very good point made above: got any good mates with cameras? Being able to borrow lenses, flashes etc. is a great idea!

If you haven't, try handling them – some feel better than others, but it's a personal decision that only you can make.

Price-wise I don't think there's much in it, 300gbp of Nikon will be pretty similar in quality to 300gbp of Canon, Sony, whatever.

grumm
    Free Member

As mogrim says, go and pick up a few and see which ones you like the look/feel of. Almost any DSLR will be capable of taking really good pictures.

I ended up getting a Panasonic GF1 instead of a DSLR – almost all the same features/manual control/image quality as a DSLR but in a much smaller package.

johni
    Free Member

I've had a Canon 350D for a few years now and get great pics with it. I've upgraded the lens to better ones and bought a good flash etc but it is easy to use and handle. I'd buy it again without any hesitation. It's been superseded now but my wife likes it as it is smaller than most Digital SLRs and easier to handle for her.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

might i recommend the sony a200 fantastic little dslr around £250 with the 17 80mm kit lens.bought one around 18mths ago and still getting great reviews now.on the plus side sony have also bought minolta and all the auto focus minolta lenses work on the sony range albeit some arnt full frame.this opens up some very well made lenses for not mega bucks and are quite easy to sell on if you don't like them.
    for around £500 you could get a camera plus a 50mm prime and a small telephoto and still have a little bit left.

molgrips
    Free Member

I ended up getting a Panasonic GF1 instead of a DSLR

A very good idea. I can't take my DSLR biking unless I bring a rucksack 🙁

Strangelove
    Free Member

Go to a camera shop that stocks all the major brands and hold the things. One brand will fit your hand better than the others, buy that one. All other things being equal of course.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or, look for one on sale 🙂

luke
    Free Member

In the same boat, I've narrowed my choice down to either the Nikon D5000 or the Sony A450.

vrapan
    Free Member

for 500£ if it has to be a dSLR I'd check the E-420 or the D5000, if you want to take it riding with you they are too bulky though. A GF1, EPL-1 or maybe even something like the S90 or LX3 would serve you better.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

+1 for Sony.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Unless you want to buy lenses to change and i mean real lenses not the plastic crap thay get sold with but proper lenses 600 to 1200 quid, SLR's aren't woth the extra bulk and hassle over a quality compact like the Canon G9 or 10. If you want to LOOK AT ME I'M A PHOTOGRASPHER than by all means go get an D-SLR.

pid
    Free Member

I have a Pentax K-m. You can get the newer one (the K-x) for £500. It is a really good camera, not huge, not heavy, lots of second hand lenses around which work well.

It's my first DSLR and after a year I can officially state that it's far, far better at taking photographs than I am.

Some of my photos if that's helpful

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Ive just bought a D5000, very pleased with it. But then I wouldn't really know any different.

My only recommendation (as was drummed into me) was go to a shop and handle them all. I was amazed how much difference there was between them. Some I didn't even bother turning on because they felt so awkward in the hand.

molgrips
    Free Member

not the plastic crap thay get sold

Hahahaha 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘thinking of getting a digital slr – which one?’ is closed to new replies.