• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by edd.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Think i might take up metal detecting .
  • oldfart

Seems to be quite profitable lately .Another hoard found in a field worth about a million smackeroonies .
    Wouldn't want to be one of the sad and desperate that hoover up dropped 2p pieces on the beach after everybody else has gone home though !!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I know someone who's been beach hoovering for years and found little more than a few quid. He finds it relaxing.

guido

All Nighthawkers need shooting. Hate metal detectorist they cause soooo much damage and are utterly hated in the profession.
    We used to throw nails all over sites just to annoy them. I still believe people do this.
    Also know a farmer who charges £10 to let them on his land and asks for 1/2 of their finds-pretending hes interested.. He then throws the finds back into the fields LOL

Junkyard
    Free Member

whilst I have no interst in this why would you hate them for having a different hobby from you?

guido

Hobby?? them digging up sites that need recording properly?
    thats vandalism mate- not a hobby.
    And its not my 'hobby' ether

househusband

Hate metal detectorist they cause soooo much damage and are utterly hated in the profession.

What profession, guido?

guido

Heritage, archaeology.
    Even the ones we use get called names behind their backs LOL

househusband

Ah. Can appreciate your perspective!

guido

Its the DCMS's fault because we pay (Portable antc scheme-old treasure trove) for the value of the item found. If we payed them for the value of the site including the ALL 'treasure' (on the prviso that once discovered it is re buried (if possible) and the authoritys informed)then we would all be winners.
    At the moment all it does is encourge people to keep digging for more and damaging the site further.
    People hear about something in the news, go and buy detectors and more damage is done.

thefettler
    Free Member

I detect for alluvial gold in the deserts of WA (oz)

keeps me in bikes 😉

edd

the fettler – are you Max?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Think i might take up metal detecting .’ is closed to new replies.