Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Thief proof box for the garage
  • chalky

Finally been asked to move the 6 bikes under the stairs to the garage (its a fair call!). Said garage is a solid brick built affair with a electric roller door at front and a wooden side door with mortice lock.
    However, I’ve some quality rides and I’m still not 100% comfortable leaving them in there as the garage is up the side of the house and isn’t particular visible from the street.
    So to keep my anxiety at bay I’m thinking of buying and installing “one of those metal box things” and anchor bolt it to the floor.

Are there any bike specific ones or am I looking at a tool lock-up like you see on building sites?

Also, other security ideas welcome.

Ta.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d not worry too much and just get decent home insurance and a ground anchor. Fear of chrime being much greater than actual crime rates and all that jazz.

I just comprimised and kept the ‘once a week at the weekend nice bike’ that got washed after every ride, under the stairs and the cheaper ‘need it every day commuter’ and ‘night ride singlespeed’ that never got washed in the shed.

If they’ve gotten through the roller doors then they must have tools, if they’ve brought tools then they’ll get through most locks quicker than you can fumble with the keys while wearing gloves, so it’s only making your own life a PITA.

toofarwest
    deadkenny
    Free Member

What’s your garage roof like? More and more, if they know the bikes are of value, they’re going in through the roof.

Garage doors are easily bent open. If you don’t keep a car in there I’d be tempted to brick the front up entirely and stick a window in it. Side door, mortice lock & wood… kick in door or crowbar, easy job for them. Consider replacing with full on house front door style with multi point lock. If you’ve got an internal door then breaking into the garage is effectively breaking into the house and will become a more serious crime for them than breaking into a shed or garage.

The box thing, can’t help you there. Except consider that the garage is a nice quiet, dry and safe place for them to work at their leisure.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Check out the shed shackle… with a decent chain and lock (all sold by the same site). Reckon you’ll go a long way to better this. http://securityforbikes.com/shed-shackle.php

dpfr

Another vote for Asgard. I bought their 1-bike locker recently and it will happily accommodate two 29ers. They delivered when they said they would and, for some extra cash, their lads put it all together for me.

andyl
    Free Member

it’s probably cheaper to get a pallet of 7N blocks delivered (or maybe more) and hire a cement mixer and build a concrete bunker in the back corner of the garage.

Should cost you at most £1 a block delivered and about 70 per pallet. (can be had cheaper from trade places).

Buy sand and cement to make mortar, not pre-mixed stuff, and do a ‘strong’ mix.

Thick steel sheet for the roof and door. Ground anchors inside. Heavy dury locking bar across the door for extra security if you really want to. Could probably make it double height so you can have two rows of bikes for less depth.

andyl
    Free Member

or just build a wall across the back of your garage with a nice secure door with all your bikes hung off the wall.

freeagent
    Free Member

or just build a wall across the back of your garage with a nice secure door with all your bikes hung off the wall.

^This.

+ Steel security door from ebay = £250ish…

chapps123
    Free Member

I bricked up my window, took out the garage door and put a steel door in it’s place. I’ve never parked the car in the garage anyway.

http://www.ajsteeldoors.co.uk/en/flush-personnel/32-steel-security-door.html

mattsccm
    Free Member

I am working on a cage to go under the bench. Got the technology and materials to make it almost impregnable to 9″ grinders with multiple disc changes. 6″ solid ! Or railways irons. Thinking of a lock that’s accessible from behind, ie so that you put a key in by putting your arm though the cage and approaching from behind.
    Nothing is 100% perfect but I recko0n that the need to spend 30 minutes plus and change discs will stop most crooks.
    This actually may be a touch OTT but I have been raided once before. 4″ box section would probably be enough as it would require several cuts to get into.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Insure and do what the insurance company asks, it may sound defeatist but it will be cheaper in the long run and easier. One day you will just get sick of getting the bikes in and out of fort knox and leave them on the garage floor and that will be the day etc.

Also do you want burglers coming into the house to find keys for whatever is the the “Look Expensive Shit” box is in the garage.

mrhoppy

After having ours taken on Thursday I’m speaking to a fabricator about getting something built up, double doors on the front so I can just wheel in and out, covered padlock housing so it can’t be cropped or levered. If they start to try to cut it then it’ll make enough noise or take enough time that someone should notice.

The asguard units are generally very short on internal space, 1550 internal width which is too short for a modern bike unless you get the 4 bike sheds which are too wide for my garage witheverything else that’s in there.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Thief proof box for the garage’ is closed to new replies.