Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Thetford Winter Series, Rd4
  • luked2
    Free Member

So, who was in it today? How was it for you?

I got the tail end of the crash at the start of the 4 hour category – and got an earful of a nice loud bang when someone’s tire burst from being ridden over the top of a fallen bike. He borrowed an SS 29er(*) and was right behind me all the way around before leaving me on the last lap.

Some lovely gloopy sections where you just kind of pointed your bike in roughly the right direction and then slithered down the trail.

And the hail at around 3pm was a nice way for this year’s WS to finish. Just what the single speeders were praying for!

(*) 29er – obviously slow and rubbish as everyone now acknowledges.

gee
    Free Member

Was great – I did the 2hr and got in before the hail! That looked nasty…

First time I’ve managed to win 4 from 4 🙂

GB

Dan67
    Free Member

ay I was racing. 2hr male. I loved it looking back now. Just my sort of course really, tough but really *flowing* in places. My back hurts loads now though, also my knee where I think I knee’d my forks.
    Great race though. In the end I came 35th 4 laps 2hrs 12.
    It was a nightmare at the start everyone was crashing. I must have rode past about 3 crashes in the first 100m my race alone. That first corner was horrendous really super wide to 1/4 of the width was alsways gonna cause problems.
    Oh and the guys tyre didnt burst he tacoed his front wheel snapped clean in half. I cant believe he still carried on I would have probably gone home grumbling, all credit to him to get back up.

And yes 29ers are stupidly slow around thetford due to all the single track. My mate has one and he finds it tough work.

gee
    Free Member

Guess my 29er must be really slow. I wonder how much more I would have won by on a 26″ bike.

GB

Dan67
    Free Member

haha
    yer all right then 😀

richmars

Good fun, surprisingly hard for flat Thetford. Single speed not the best for the fire road at the start but still good fun.

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

Did 4hrs in the old knacker category, it would have been an awesome course in the dry, as it was i thought it hit the mark perfectly, although got a bit sketchy after the hail.

for the first time ever I rode the starting bit prior to the race, it was pretty obvious it was going to be “entertaining” round the first corner so I nailed it from the gun, unfortunately I continued to nail it for the first 3 laps then died something of a slow, horrible, painful death for the next 5.

drive train was spectacularly well degreased when I cleaned the bike at home…….

roll on next year, another year older, fatter and slower 🙂

Matthew

ac282

Good fun until the hail. Hail and Ralphs don’t mix well. I was all over the place on the last 3 laps.

The 2 hour race was a better option today.

stylish
    Free Member

i think that was the best course of the series, was 34th in the 2 hour, so just in front of dan67, had to go round a pile up in front of me at the start, then another on the narrow fire road, was quite relieved to get to the first big turn! hope all those that hit the deck were ok, got caught in the hail storm after my race while doing bottles for a mate in the 4 hour, he looked like he had been rolling in the mud at the end!

luked2
    Free Member

Disclaimer: I was actually riding a 29er as well 🙂

Good effort GB – I will never understand how you 2 hour racers can inflict that much pain on yourselves!

SiLanc
    Free Member

Done the lap by lap analysis, if anyone wants to write up their experience (small or large) then drop me a line.

http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/races/2011/wws_2010-11_r4.asp

Si

verses

I was also in the 2hr 18-39 males cat and came 37th, so just behind Stylish and Dan 🙂

Apart from the 1st lap being bumper to bumper, I really enjoyed it – loved the course, the weather had only made a mess of a couple of sections and I missed the hail completely! 🙂

stumpy01

I did it and really enjoyed it.

Mower trail was great – slithering through the trees with little control.
    Howie’s near the end was pretty tricky towards once the legs started getting tired.

Was starting to get fitter (by my own standards) approaching the WS2, but have hardly ridden since and have seen my fitness really tail off. Good fun though, but just need to be in a better position next year.

Si Lanc – good effort on the lap-by-lap. Always worth a look. Thanks.

stylish
    Free Member

I never have liked the mower trail, although we usually go up it not down, 4 laps and 4 totally different lines, dont think i did a nice run through it the whole race!

Still for flat old Norfolk, Paul and his team always find some cracking bits of forest to hold a race.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Thetford Winter Series, Rd4’ is closed to new replies.