• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Moe.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Thetford Winter Series, Rd 1
  • oldnpastit

So, who else was there today?

Lovely course, lots of singletrack, hardly time to catch your breath on the fireroad sections before swooping back into the narrow twisty stuff again.

I got a dreadful final position, despite going – by my standards- really hard all the way round. But still really enjoyed it.

Plumbuster was most excellent.

hammerite
    Free Member

I was there OnP. I’ll c&p my race report I’ve just written elsewhere 😀

———
    Managed to race today without holding too many people up when I minced through the singletrack (I think!).

Enjoyed it, but made the schoolboy error of doing the whole lap as a warm up, by the time we got back everyone was queued up and we were right near the back. Got stuck in bottlenecks for most of the first lap. Being a wimpy road rider really showed up, the little rollers were taking their toll on my lower back from the third lap on as I spent too much time sat in rather than being up and out the saddle and hard pedalling in bursts.

There wasn’t anything technical in there that bothered me, although I did take a detour into the trees after hitting a small stump that turned me a bit. No fall though and managed to avoid a collision.

Managed 4 laps in 2h 25, but I was probably one of the last 4 lap finishers overall.

I’ll be back, will try and get 3 races in so I get an overall series result.

richmars

Great course as usual, 4 laps in 2:16, but I payed the price for riding the single speed, too many fast ‘downhill’ bits, plus plumbuster was a bit hard on the last lap.

Hornet600
    Free Member

I was there today, great course as always. The last mile or so of the course was quite testing as such as most of it was surprisingly uphill and on grass.
    The section from near BCP was great, just stand up and pump for about 1/2 miles.
    Called it a day after 3 laps at 1hr 40 ish.
    3 proper ride since D2D after being ill.

thebaker
    Free Member

Yep I was there, first XC race and enjoyed it! Managed 4 laps in 2:16 I think, definitely need to put in some training for the next one!

Course was great and 29er I was riding performed really well, the swoopy stuff in the first bit of woods made the rest of the lap worth it!

Looking forward to the next one.

stumpy01

Missed it – I thought it was later in the month so dawdled about getting entered……

Will try harder for the next 3!

Sounds like it was a goodun’….

lazybike
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the first 2 and 3/4 laps then suffered like a dog…great course though.

Jase
    Free Member

I went off too fast then half way round my saddle moved! Spent the next few hours stopping to move saddle into correct position.

Punctured after about 3hrs 20 so went back to car. In hind sight I should have gone over the finish line again to get another lap but went round the tape to the car park!!!

benslow
    Free Member

Was a good course and suprisingly, after all the recent rain, it ran well.

Started suffering on 3rd lap and thought that was it, but just scraped inside 2 hrs so had to do a 4th …

Will be back after a bit of training !

spursn17
    Free Member

Ooh that hurt!!

I did the 2 hour race and it was a bit of a shock after the 1 hour MSG series. I should’ve done a fourth lap as I did 3 laps in 1:56 but couldn’t face it.
    What was surprising was I went out on a little ride with the mutts this morning and felt pretty good.

I need to ride more.

Dan67
    Free Member

Good race this weekend. I managed 37th 4 laps 2hr 10 mins. So abit more training and I should do better. My back was ruined on lap 3ish. Had a crappy first lap couldn’t clip in properly off the start then un clipped. Got cut up on the first climb meaning I stalled which left me in too big a gear.

spursn17
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the lap distance was?

flange
    Free Member

Lap length was approx 6 miles.

Did 4 laps in 2hrs 4mins, which gave me 23rd. Did it on my rigid SS and paying the price now. Gearing was comically low as well but it was a blessing at the end when my legs went in the last mile.

Has to be the best ride at Thetford ever, so much grip and Dartboard was proper fast. Nice to see a full field as well, it was heaving! And thank god for gridding next time, that bottleneck was hilariously bad!

Jase
    Free Member

I was on a rigid SS too, don’t thibk I’ll use it in the other rounds!

flange
    Free Member

Fair play doing the 4hr on a rigid – my wrists were wrecked after 2! It was the passing on the singletrack that did for me, having to ride through the undergrowth to get past. What gearing did you use Jase?

Moe

Hammerite, I was behind you on 4! My favorite bit of these events is upsetting faster riders in the singletrack, as although I’m not that fast I know that part of the forest like the back of my hand (I live right on the edge) so can really get through it a lot quicker! I think the lap may’ve been a bit more than 6 though. Sadly the four bridges section has now been harvested so probably is no more 🙁

Won’t be there … (here!) next time but I’m signed up for 3&4.

Team Womble!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Thetford Winter Series, Rd 1’ is closed to new replies.