Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Them electric car things
  • Pickers

With no particular agenda, what about vehicles that are larger than small cars?
    No agenda cos I don’t know, and don’t pretend to know.
    You’d need a pretty big battery to run an artic lorry, a bus or even a Transit; fuel cell too whichever way it goes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thre are some electric trucks running about – i saw one in Edinburgh7.5 tonne I think

MrOvershoot

TBH I would be fine with an electric car for day to day as if I can’t ride my bike. I drive 15 miles on my own into a city & park up at a place that uses 1.6MW per day so an itty bitty car plugged in ain’t going to show up & drive home (possibly via a few local shops) where it sits till morning!

I checked out where I had driven in the last year & apart from a trip to Scotland in April that was the furthest I had drive in my 2ltr turbo diesel estate 😐

Now here’s the problem’s:
    1. I already own a car with no debts on, so I have no more outlay apart from servicing etc.
    2. I would have to buy another car (probably at a premium price)
    3. My wife is disabled so when we go further away we ironically take an electric buggy & a wheelchair in the back of the estate car.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

But isn’t hydrogen also moving the problem along, because the energy you’d be using to charge your battery is instead going into producing the hydrogen?

Yes, but it could be generated from renewables, and as already mentioned there is already a distribution network to transport these types of fuels.

The renewables bit goes just as well for batteries as hydrogen though. And as far as I’m aware the distribution network for hydrogen doesn’t exist- it’s very difficult to store and transport so it’s not as simple as just reusing the existing infrastructure.

Obviously batteries aren’t the be all and end all, but neither are any solutions really and as others have said the solution will probably involve a change in the way we use cars as well as what those cars are.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Them electric car things’ is closed to new replies.