Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The snip.
  • Harry_the_Spider

Who has been de-fused then?

How bad?
    How long were you in discomfort?
    How long were you off the bike?
    Lemons, oranges or grapefruit?

I have a consultation with Dr Chow this morning to discuss setting the ball(s) rolling. 🙁

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I know a guy who had it done about 10 years ago. Was back in work after 24 hours, riding after a week, don't think he was sitting on the saddle much though. Said it was uncomfortable but nothing major.

ratherbeintobago

Just remember it's effectively permanent – reversal is no longer available on the NHS & doesn't work very well anyway.

Andy

DOI – feel surgical sterilisation is ethically dubious in either sex as there are alternatives.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

The make implant contraceptive should be available soon too

Everywhen
    Free Member

Had it done 8 years ago, would not even describe it as minor discomfort.
    Was back at work next day.

whytetrash

Yep if you may ever want another kid dont do it…but you are a grown up and would probably have made that decision before asking this 😉

Not a bad op, quick and painless for me, ached for a couple of days walking/jogging after 4 days and back on a (road) bike after a week…mtb soon after that…book a few days off work if poss..sitting with your feet up relaxing for 2 days post op is highly recommended.

Had a slight infection in stitches but soon cleared up….everything not working fine now 😆

JonnyHuge
    Free Member

Ha ha – had to reply to this one …

… twice! Despite the array of razor sharp tactical weapons at the surgeons disposal and the ‘climax’ of the procedure being the use of what looked to be the poor relation to my Halfords special £4.99 soldering iron (by a very shaky hand) accompanied by the smell of burning gunk pipe, the procedure failed.

Fortunately I was informed that I could undergo the procedure again …. they'd even do it FOC. Brilliant!

Discomfort – not really, I milked it (not literally for all those filthy minds out there). The resulting colour schemes are quite a talking point though – definitely an angry grapefruit 🙂
    Off the bike for 2 weeks each 'round'.

Enjoy.

sweepy
    Free Member

The worst thing about it is the general anaesthetic, get local if you can stand the sight of someone having at your plums with a sharp instrument.

lowey

Local for me. 1st side was fine, second side the anaesthesia didnt work. The feel of cold steel slicing through your most delicate regions was one that I wont forget in a hurry. Other than that, more unpleasant than painful.

I got an infection in the nads too, which was sore. I was off the bike for about 2 weeks.

ratherbeintobago

Yep if you may ever want another kid dont do it…but you are a grown up and would probably have made that decision before asking this

No. Sorry, don't agree. You never know what's round the next corner & people's circumstances can & do change.

As I say, I feel the same about tubal ligation.

The worst thing about it is the general anaesthetic,

That depends on who's giving the anaesthetic. You don't need a GA for it though; there were widespread rumours of a local urologist doing his own under LA when I was a student.

Andy

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Had it done back in March – no pain, no infection. very minor bruising and discomfort afterwards. Worst part was the (careful) shaving beforehand. Oh, and the two ladies pulling my bits around, whilst trying to have a normal conversation – including an attractive nurse. The smell of burning flesh was a little odd as well (they cauterize the tubes to seal them).

Working from home a couple of hours later with cold pack attached. Running within 3-4 days, on the bike a week after.

Should have had it done 5 years ago.

Paul

marsdenman
    Free Member

uncomfortable but nothing major.

+1
    'Worst' part of it was lying there with me bits showing and folk doing what they had to do, whilst ordering their teas and coffees with the practice nurse… reassuring to know their thoughts were fully on ahem, the job in hand… 😯
    Oh, and, cos i'm daft like that, I asked to see what was removed as it was clear this was not just a case of 'snip + tie a knot' … I can say for sure that my op wil not be reversed, not without employing the hose of my avid bleeding kit 😯

whytetrash

Oh yeah…dont shave get some hair removing cream…way easier..forgot to mention that bit!

My nurse was handpicked for the job..late 50's minger with a tache!…still wierd when she lifts the old fella and paints your nads with iodine 😳

Doc was a triathlete so happy chatting about that…hardly noticed the op

theotherjonv

As Andy said, don't go into it lightly, but if you are set on it I don't really see it as 'ethically dubious'. You're a grown up, take the consequence for your actions. No-one's forcing you.

I was done about 18mo ago. Job itself was uncomfortable rather than painful; if i had to have it again I would without a moment's hesitation but I wouldn't volunteer to have it done again for fun.

The only issue I had was that the wound (no stitches) didn't heal and got infected, so I was back 2 weeks later to have the wound cleaned out and redressed. Having the dead skin and puss squeezed and scrubbed out was not good. So in total I was off the bike for 2 + 2 weeks to make sure it was good and healed. But boll0ck pain was gone in a couple of days and easily manageable with ibuprofen and mtfu.

Worth it – I'd say so. I love paddling without my wellies on.

theotherjonv

Forgot to mention: the worst bit actually was stripping from the waist down ('but leave your socks on cos the floor's cold') – immediately not a good look and you're at a disadvantage. Then they lay a surgical sheet over your nethers and then pull your meat and two through a hole. Now you're really cringing. Then they paint your nuts with iodine.

AT THIS POINT THEY CAN DO ANYTHING AS LONG AS IT'S OVER QUICKLY AND NO-ONE MAKES EYE CONTACT

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've been looking into this. There are some real scare stories out there on the internet. Seems it's only a very few cases that go wrong but I guess these are the ones to consider. There is also some suggestion that it can even trigger auto immune disease as certain cells that shouldn't be in the blood stream get absorbed back into the body at they have nowhere else to go. It's enough to scare me. Well, that and someone approaching my sack with a sharp knife!

ratherbeintobago

AT THIS POINT THEY CAN DO ANYTHING AS LONG AS IT'S OVER QUICKLY AND NO-ONE MAKES EYE CONTACT

Which surely is the major benefit of the fentanyl-propofol-laryngeal mask-isoflurane option?

Andy

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Re: general anesthetic.
    Have a friend who is a bit of a gorilla – hairy chest, back etc. He shaved as instructed, but when he woke up, he'd been shaved from chest to knee.

Local all the way here, at least you can keep an eye on what they're doing.

theotherjonv

Isn't the shaving a myth? I didn't have to shave at all (except for other purposes, but that's another thread)

One of my mates was having his done and another mate managed to photoshop a local Primary Care Trust letterhead and write him a letter advising him that he needed to be completely shaved. Given that Mick is one of the gorilla sorts by his own admission it looked like he had the inverse of hairy shorts on. The nurses complimented him on such a thorough job, before telling him it wasn't actually necessary. Hats off to Pete for that stroke of genius.

KonaTC

Had my little op 17 years ago, not a big deal, bit of discomfort, back in work the following day, didn’t ride at the time but carried on with curcuits/5 a side the same week. The one thing I do remember is the itching as the hair grew back

The NHS didn’t offer waxing (thankfully) 😀

Everywhen
    Free Member

Onzadog – Most of my mates have had the snip.
    Not one case of infection or any lasting discomfort.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I followed the shaving instructions (they did say no hair removal cream, no idea why) – just the (ahem) bits of interest. Mate who got the reverse hairy shorts treatment is a policeman, and I'm pretty sure he's telling the truth. I didn't check though, obviously.

molgrips
    Free Member

ached for a couple of days walking

I read that as 'ached for a couple of days ****'. Seriously, I did.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

How bad? slightly embarrassing
    How long were you in discomfort? surgery none, overenthusiastic shaving one week
    How long were you off the bike? rode to work next day
    Lemons, oranges or grapefruit? avocado stones

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There are some real scare stories out there on the internet

Where do I start…..!

Anyway, had it done yesterday, worst bits were the wait, the shave and the feeling of vulnerability (lying on a bed with your haw maws and your face the only bits of you showing).

The injections were no more painful than a dentist jab, and I didn't feel the actual slicing and dicing being done at all. No pain after at all, and both look to be healing up nicely, and no swelling. Touch wood (ahem).

Harry_the_Spider

The sodding consultant didn’t show up leaving me and about 30 others hanging around like a bunch of **** idiots.

To say that I’m not impressed is an understatement.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Its not to bad, however dont take your fresh sample of now very dubious spermless fluid into the local surgery when its packed and everbody knows whats inside the bag marked sample and what you just did 😳

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I had mine done at 31. Told the doctor straight that if my entire family fell off a cliff tomorrow i wouldnt want another child ever. It was black and white for me.

I was asleep whilst mine were done by the medical equivelant of piccasso. Didnt feel a thing. I planned to drive home that day but was stopped by the nurses and had to get picked up by the wife. I knocked one out that very night to see if there was a difference. Got worried that i still wasnt feeling any pain the next day so stopped the pain killers. Never felt a thing so carried on as normal. Rode mabie red route within a week with no probs.

Would rather get my nuts done again than visit the dentist tbh.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Oh i had to hand in my sample to a nice young lady at the doctors reception. A week later i went to my sons school and she was also my sons teaching assistant. I was rather embarrassed that i handed her a bottle of spunk the week before

votchy
    Free Member

Had it done early December, worst part of it for me was the fact there were 8 people in the theatre at the time, 6 of them female and they were discussing christmas songs, some of which the consultant performing the op had never heard of. Op was 4pm, back at work 7am next day, riding mtb 2 days later. Only pain was a slight sting as they injected local anaesthetic – similar feel to injection at the dentists

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘The snip.’ is closed to new replies.