Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The Richard Dimbleby Lecture
  • chewkw
    Free Member

In the 2012 Richard Dimbleby Lecture, leading geneticist and Nobel laureate Sir Paul Nurse explores the wonder of science and how it enhances our culture and civilisation. He investigates how science can not only help solve the world’s big problems, but also be harnessed to improve health and quality of life.

errmmm … hhhmmmm … I need to say something … why are those celebrities audience suddenly become the brain?

Where is Jesus or Bono when you want him … 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

He’s right there with you chewkw.

EDIT : You’ve now edited to also where’s Bono. Can’t help you with that one – no idea.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

He’s right there with you chewkw.

EDIT : You’ve now edited to also where’s Bono. Can’t help you with that one – no idea.

No, he is not cause he is with Bono no?

I am nothing but a maggot.

🙄

TheFlyingOx

why are those celebrities audience suddenly become the brain?

wat is this i dont even….

scaredypants

Bono’s exactly where I want him

– want some pics ?

chewkw
    Free Member

The Flying Ox – Member

why are those celebrities audience suddenly become the brain?

wat is this i dont even….

BBC … shouldn’t they invite normal people to this highly supremely important lecture?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I take it you’re a tad miffed about not getting an invite chewkw ?

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

I take it you’re a tad miffed about not getting an invite chewkw ?

errmm …

No, I think there is too much preaching there about science and shouldn’t they convert the poor instead? By the sound of his lecture the poor should not be living here as they are not people of science.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think there is too much preaching there about science

What, even for a science lecture presented by a scientist who’s won the Noble Peace Prize for science ?

Were you expecting something a bit different then ?

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

What, even for a science lecture presented by a scientist who’s won the Noble Peace Prize for science ?

Yes, everyone knows science is important so why does he keep going on and on and on about it … FFS! Is he high on fart?

Were you expecting something a bit different then ?

Something like science will strike you down you evil mankind and your days are numbered and Bono has pressed the nuke button …

chewkw
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

Bono’s exactly where I want him

– want some pics ?

Go on … 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes, everyone knows science is important so why does he keep going on and on and on about it … FFS!

Well I’m guessing because he’s a scientist and everyone went along to hear a scientist talk about science.

I think they might have been disappointed if he’d said, “science is well boring – let’s talk about something else”

coffeeking
    Free Member

errmmm … hhhmmmm … I need to say something … why are those celebrities audience suddenly become the brain?

WTF does this sentence mean? WTF does your entire post mean? I’m baffled, I’m even more baffled that other people seem to have taken some meaning from it.

It’s a cracking lecture so far stating what’s been the bleeding obvious for scientists for a long time but seems to be somewhat misunderstood by those not in the ‘circle’.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Well I’m guessing because he’s a scientist and everyone went along to hear a scientist talk about science.

I think they might have been disappointed if he’d said, “science is well boring – let’s talk about something else”

hhhhmmm … I don’t know …

It’s a cracking lecture so far stating what’s been the bleeding obvious for scientists for a long time but seems to be somewhat misunderstood by those not in the ‘circle’.

Precisely … you have to be in the ‘circle’ to understand his cryptic message …

Okay time to sleep now … my head hurts trying to listen to his lecture.

Northwind

“why are those celebrities audience suddenly become the brain? “

Since someone set up us the bomb.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m baffled, I’m even more baffled that other people seem to have taken some meaning from it.

Well I noticed that, somewhat bizarrely, Dara O’Briain was in the audience, so I assumed that the audience/brain comment referred to this.

Did I get it wrong ?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Precisely … you have to be in the ‘circle’ to understand his cryptic message …

Really? I thought he fairly clearly and simply explained all of his reasoning without scientific terminology or un-necessary complication? Jesus, I must be further down the rabbit hole than I thought!

Garry_Lager

Sounded hard work that, although was only half watching it. He’s great as a public-facing scientist but not sure that this sort of lecture is his forte. Too much of the ‘let’s speak slowly and try and communicate with the Muggles’ approach IMHO.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yeah and that’s how it should be Garry because 95 percent of the population are idiot’s who don’t understand science. Gotta go slow so they don’t get to many silly ideas like they did with the MMR vaccine or the hilarious H5N1 “OMGZ deadly apocalypse mutation” research panic. The public doesn’t understand science.

I know plenty of scientists who are genuinely scared the public will one day lynch them, nail them to crosses and then burn them for poking sticks at mice. I was thinking it would be fun to work at Porton Down but then realized I’d probably be looking over the shoulder the rest of my life, even if I was working on a cure for bird flu because no doubt The Daily Mail would leak a story that we were torturing wallabies with VX gas.

TBH thank god celebrities like Dara and a few other scientists have the patience to molly coddle these people into having an understanding of science. Me? If I ever tried to do it, I’d end up like Dawkins.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘The Richard Dimbleby Lecture’ is closed to new replies.