Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • The Moth Man Cometh
  • Gary_C

Love this forum when threads like this pop up.

Good stuff!

sharki
    Free Member

Cheers Mcmoonter. I’m only interested to add to my basic knowledge of things.

Nice to know there is boggy land and heath land nearby, so looks like a probable case of either wind blown moths or them just looking for more and got attracted to the MV.

I’ve just been out to check the weather and it’s looking good, quite alot of micros about already and ruby tiger is settled on a lamp and a tawny owl calls in the distance.
    I’ll hopefully have my trap over here next week, so looking forwards to a full nights collection rather than hanging about under street lights….
    😆

Gary. Yeah, much better than the usual on here, hence why i’m not on here much these days.

maccruiskeen

Disappointed theres no Venezuelan Poodle Moths on that list

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Disappointed theres no Venezuelan Poodle Moths on that list

Mac – I’m relieved I didn’t find a Venezuelan Poodle Moth, it looks pretty scary, just how big is it.

This was my favourite find of the night, A Light Emerald.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Ace! so who was moaning about off-topic threads again?!

CountZero

It’s certainly been a pretty poor year for butterflies, very few small tortoiseshell around, but I was pleased to see this beauty last Sunday:

A fresh hatching, judging by the brilliance of the colours, and no damage.

Bunnyhop

Off later to get the field guide out and look up mcmoonters list.
    Oh and that link looks good hamishthecat.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I had another email from the Moth Boff this morning, it’s quite exciting.

‘According to the distribution map the Heath Rustic has only been previously recorded in Fife at Tentsmuir. This makes the record for Glassmount rather special.’

Because of the traps allowed rainwater in some of the moths were damaged. We are keeping an eye on the forecast and will have another go in two different locations. I’m optimistic as the rain which fell on Saturday morning wiped out half our potential catch.

sharki
    Free Member

Good Indicator of climate change and Moths advancing their range north?

Lets hope it stays dry all night for you,you’ll get a full evening catch that way.

Still around a Month of good mothing left. 🙂

Good Peacock there count. Lots about now but still far to few Small Tortoise shells, a one time common sight.

Bunnyhop

tawny owl calls in the distance.

We’ve had 3 owls out the last 4 or 5 nights. Could they be a family? The hooting has been loud enough to keep me awake.

I checked mcmoonter’s list with my guide and only spotted 2 moths. A bit of googling is in order later.

maccruiskeen

Mac – I’m relieved I didn’t find a Venezuelan Poodle Moth, it looks pretty scary, just how big is it.

You can ride it like a horse. This is what it looks like when its not wearing Bono’s sunglasses

timber

We’ve not moth trapped at work for a while now, though last year had a fantastic emerald in the tractor after brushing it from its sleeping place whilst fencing. This year we’ve seen a fantastic small yellow moth that I can’t remember the name of. About the size of my thumb nail at its biggest and vivid colours.

Those that have done our butterfly transects this year have had a poor count, but then their opportunities have been limited. We still seem to see a good number whilst working the woods and the boundaries.

Have done some bat surveying this summer and the guy from the Vincent wildlife trust has given a great description of how a particular species catches it’s prey in its wings and stuffs its face.

sharki
    Free Member

Timber, yellow shell?

I think our local transects have also been poor, i know i’ve only had one in favourable conditions. Though on part of my transect but not during a survey, a large buddleia was teaming with them, 10 species on it. Hopefully the weather remains next week when i’m on rota to do it.

Has the moth boff flooded more at mcmoonters?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The Moth Man Cometh back tonight. We are going to try two new spots with different habitats further from the house.

Yesterday I went over the hill in the Land Rover to see if we could get all the gear up to the heathland and bog. He’ll need a generator to power the lights. It was a bit of a Camel Trophy drive, but it will be good to know what is up there. It’s never been cultivated or seldom grazed, there are some protected grasses and lots of gorse.

sharki
    Free Member

I first thought you said Camel toe drive…. 😆

teasel
    Free Member

🙂

Likewise.

And that piccie of the slugs is exactly what was happening, only there were more involved. Like I wrote – an orgy, if I wasn’t mistaken.

That Light Emerald resembles an ivy leaf – superb disguise! And the “looks fast” line had me chuckling because, indeed, it does. Good stuff, folks.

*I’ll leave the deer pics for another thread because I simply haven’t time to upload at the moment…

Bunnyhop

Ooh looking forward to tomorrows results from the moth chap.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sorry Bunnyhop, rain has stopped play. When we get a dry night we’ll try again.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The Moth Boff has just set up the traps. Fingers crossed the weather holds. Do moths have fingers?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Almost a year on and the Moth Man Cometh back again.

He caught just shy of 400 moths. Key finds were a Shark of which there have been few sightings in Fife, and two others. One he couldn’t decide was micro or macro and and a second he needed help in identifying.

I will see if I can get some pics of them for those here who may be able to help.

It’s been a great season for the insects here, the garden provides a huge biodiversity which attracts a lot. Even the little new ‘meadow’ is teaming with bees and butterflies.

Bunnyhop

This is so interesting.

Our garden is full of insects this year, plenty of young birds to feed and of course bats love a moth or 2.
    Many moths have found their way indoors too due to the windows being open and a light on at night.

Looking forward to the photos mcmoonter.

footflaps

I planted a Lavender hedge this year and it attracts bees all day and Moths at night, so you get 24/7 wildlife coverage!

geoffj

Any chance you could load the records onto irecord (http://www.brc.ac.uk/irecord/)?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I hate moths. Proper phobia of them

<runs away and hides until daylight>

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

outdoors- this is an interesting topic with some fascinating species.

Indoors- and add in the light fitting- then i’m with ir_bandito. Run for your lives<shudder>

mcmoonter
    Free Member

An update on the two mystery moths.

One was a Muslim Footman which has near transparent wings due to sparse scales, and a Pinion streaked Snout, one of the smallest Macro moths.

Gerald forwards his finds to the Fife Recorder who puts them on the national database. He said there have been a lot of new finds this year with the unusually hot and dry summer.

portlyone

Wait, you caught a shark?!

thepurist

Bet he didn’t catch this one..

The Grand Moff Tarkin! Ba-doom-tish, I’m here all week folks…

dday

Watcha doing this weekend?
    Mothing. Absolutely Mothing.

geoffj

Gerald forwards his finds to the Fife Recorder who puts them on the national database. He said there have been a lot of new finds this year with the unusually hot and dry summer.

Excellent – as long as they are being made available to the folk who can use them, it doesn’t matter which route they go.

brakes
    Free Member

out on a ride in Surrey yesterday, I was surprised at the number of butterflies. is this a particularly good year for them, or is this peak season?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

One was a Muslim Footman which has near transparent wings due to sparse scales, and a Pinion streaked Snout, one of the smallest Macro moths.

Darn spellcheck, that should be Muslin Footman.

Pigface
    Free Member

Brilliant stuff Mcmoonter, I have visions of the Moth boffin looking like Dumbledore but maybe with embroynic wings.

I had an ex who was scared of moths she would scream “arrrrggghhh flappy thing” and run out of the room 😐

Bunnyhop

I have had a good look around the garden and spotted very few, then realising most of them are in full camouflage have found one or two beauty’s. It takes a keen eye as they are so hard to spot.

teasel
    Free Member

I had an ex who was scared of moths she would scream “arrrrggghhh flappy thing” and run out of the room

My missus leaves the room screaming exactly the same thing but it’s got bugger all to do with moths.

Saw a very weird flying beastie yesterday, have no idea what it was – so whispy I couldn’t get the camera to focus – very slender black body with a strange long black ‘tail-like’ thing with a white tip extending from its back.

They’re here, I tell ya…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The Moth Man, Gerald, came back for another count last night.

Total catch 788.

Highlights were a Copper Underwing & Bullrush Wainscot – a giant female.

Biggest surprise of the night were 280 Brown Spotted Pinions. The most he’d ever seen in one go.

Several migratory moths too including Silver Y and Diamond Backed Micros.

I have visions of the Moth boffin looking like Dumbledore but maybe with embryonic wings.

He’d love that.

Here’s a link to the nature trail he’s built.
    https://sites.google.com/site/puddledubnature/nature-trail

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The moth man came back again. Last night’s rare find was a Slender Brindle one of three found in Fife, one f the others was in his garden a mile or so away.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I love this thread.

We had a huge moth, biggest I’ve ever seen, on the window last night. Must have been the size of a chocolate digestive.

willard

Plain or milk chocolate?

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘The Moth Man Cometh’ is closed to new replies.