Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • The girlie gear thread
  • cinnamon_girl

So … girls … any recommendations for Autumn/Winter? What works? What doesn't? What can't you manage without?

OK, I will kick off. I can't manage without Gore Alp X waterproof shorts. They are brilliant 🙂

But, what I would like, is recommendations for an Autumnal top but definitely not jersey-stylee. Long sleeves with a little warmth and a zipped neck would be ace!

Over to you …

ton

cg, you need a bike chunky ton to keep you warm in the winter…… 😉

Candodavid
    Free Member

Howies merino

cinnamon_girl

Haha! How did I know that at least one guy would join in 😀

I'll be filling the coffee flask soon 8)

cinnamon_girl

I only have one merino top, couldn't afford any more, but it really does keep me warm and snug 🙂

london_lady
    Free Member

I like my Gore phantom soft shell jacket – great for both road and off road riding.
    Also for affordable merino try embers or howies (only in the sale though).

Bunnyhop

C_G I too have only one merino, as you know you can wear them over and over without washing.

Can't live without my Pearl izumi gilet either. It's just that extra layer.

jacksta
    Free Member

gilet and arm warmers with your fav short sleeve?

oldfart

airbag / life belt for sea crossings !!!! 😆

LoulaBella
    Free Member

The new raceface ladies fleee top is gorgeous and so soft, ahhhh sigh.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Gilet and arm warmers are my recommendation too. I have a lovely Haglofs soft shell gilet that I got on discount from Laggan Wolftrax shop that is great in the colder months. I also have a Gore Phantom convertible jacket/gilet that I like, but it's a bit thicker than the Haglofs so better for full winter, it's very water resistant too, shrugging off all but the heaviest rain.

Gore bikewear also do a thicker weight top that's great for cold dry riding, can't remember the name of it, 'Amazone' rings a bell.

If you can save up for more merino then you should, it's THE BEST. Icebreaker Chakra 260 are my favourites. Long sleeved with a short zip for ventilation. I just wish they did a short sleeved, zipped version for the rest of the year.

juan
    Free Member

ohhh I love this top loula and it's xmas soon so if you want to make me a gift 😉
    CG I got a merino top (ok short sleeve) for 24£ at costworld in soton.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

The popsicle, woman's version of The Baked Alaska from Ground Effect. We have his'n'hers winter riding jerseys in our house. HIGHLY recommended.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Another vote for merino. Most of mine has come cheap from tkmaxx. I have tops of varying thicknesses to choose between or combine. Montane featherlite over the top. More merino on the bottom half, underneath normal leggings or softshell trousers. That did me all winter. Dachstein mitts for my hands when it's really cold. I'm getting some made lobster claw style for this winter

ART

Arm warmers, knee warmers, merino, gilets, those Gore shorts, erm loads of stuff really. You can never have too much kit is my motto! 😀

watly_biker
    Free Member

Another vote for merino ( I've got a howies nbl one) and Gorebike wear softshell /windproof jacket with zip off sleeves, also a skull cap for under the helmet on really cold days.
    I also wore Loeka downhill capri shorts all winter as they are pretty much waterproof, windproof and kept my legs warm over tights.
    I have struggled to find warm gloves that are not the thickness of ski mitts! – any recommendations.
    Also have tried loads of different winter socks, nothing that keeps
    my feet really warm.
    I would recommend the gorebike wear as it can be jacket or gilet and is very warm.- I've also got a howies softshell with merino liner which is good.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Hey CG – guess you couldn't handle another one of my 'what winter shoe/shorts/top, etc, threads! Well, this certainly is more efficient!

Merino long sleeved tops are the best. I forked out a crazy £70 for thickish jumper icebreaker one, and despite my concern it's been worth it's weight in gold. I've got a Howies thinner one too that's lasted years. I really love how they don't smell and are plain enough to wear casually (I've got away with mine at work a few times now!)

Oh and I'm very excited about trying my waterproof shorts soon! (Thanks for the tips!)

Other than that, I don't have a lot of hi-tec stuff (it's all so pricey that it's hard to get Mr. MM to agree!) but love the bits I have – there's something very pleasing about stuff that's so practical and comfy!. I've just got to persuage Mr. MM to let me have some winter shoes and a proper winter jacket now…

Any jackets particularly good?

Oh and I totally don't get the leg warmer/arm warmer thing… someone explain the madness to me…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I don't find arm/leg warmers comfortable enough I'd rather layer up and take stuff off and stuff it in my bag! I'm loving the look of that Ground Effect top ..where can you buy them though? Just had a brief look but can't find anything easy and localish to buy off internet.

MountainMonkey what waterproof shorts did you buy in the end? I really struggle to find shorts to fit as I have large typical cyclist thighs and a smaller waist so I struggle to get stuff to fit. All of my shorts are are very old as I can't get any too fit!!!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Ground Effect is mail order from NZ, I think. I have two of those tops, perfect for winter if it isn't raining. It's a merino/polyester mix with a windproof front. If it's drizzling, then Gore Phantom. Actually, I've ridden in mine all year round. Should just buy another one of those really.

Bunnyhop

Gosh how could I forget the humble 'Buff'.
    I have 3, one of which is half fleece.

GolfChick
    Free Member

women's endura baa baa merino base layer. im after a wind proof and waterproof jacket tho, was thinking of one of the gore phantoms for the wind proof cause you can zip off the sleeves.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Leg/arm warmers are great for in-between days when you might otherwise need to strip off over and over to change base layers. You can remove them much more easily than the 'full' clothing items they replace (long tights, 3/4 tights and long sleeved tops). The arm warmers can be pulled up or down whilst still in the saddle rather than removed comopletely.

Once you've tried them, you'll never go back. Plus, it makes you look dead racey and everything… 😉

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Jojo – well I'm almost convinced! Leg warmers kind of make sense I guess for stripping off… and if I get to look dead racey well… 😀

Munge-chick – I went with CG's and Bunnyhop's recommendations of a pair of Gore Alp X shorts. They pretty damn expensive (although I got mine in a sale) but I've been promised they're worth it! I also bought a pair of Loeka DH shorts (another STW recommendation) as they were in a sale at Minx (only £35!) and I wanted something a bit bigger for the bump to grow into – they're more of a DH look but would therefore fit even the largest of thighs! I'd wear lyra underneath both mind…

watly_biker – I got some Specialized BG deflect gloves last winter, they were absolutely brillant really warm but not too bulky, I got a biggish size which seemed to work well for me. They're still going strong and certainly worth the £25.

Ooh and yes Bunnyhop – Buffs are the best! (I feel bad for not mentioning them originally!)

LoulaBella
    Free Member

Oh I know its not practical in the slightest but I love a website called modcloth and I want these!

cinnamon_girl

Wow, this thread has really taken off!

Lots of informative stuff to read. Reckon I've got my biking gear pretty much nailed these days but always happy to listen to other's recommendations 🙂

Arm, knee and leg warmers are so useful. A lot of my riding is through overgrown trails so arm warmers are essential. Have just bought myself some Scratchguardz which are similar to gaitors so that my shins now are bramble protected.

Gore Bike Wear is excellent quality and does last. Their jackets are good, it just depends on whether you want a shell or softshell?

Jo – agree about Icebreaker, mine just refuses to wear out!

Any thoughts on knee pads please?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I have some Dainese arm guards which are great, however 661 do some cool thixotropic knee guards .. basically they are made from some soft chemical goo but when they get hit hard, the goo hardens protecting you! They are pretty expensive but guide at cycle active swears by them as he said you can ride in them all day without feeling like you're wearing body armour.

I bought some of the Loeka DH shorts but as I'm only 5ft 4" they made me look like an oompa lumpa (which is the problem I find with A LOT of womens' specific baggies) and I don't really like wearing tight fitting lycra (if it's under stuff great!).

I love my Race Face winter coat so thick and cosy but with massive sweat pits for those ups! I still can't grasp arm/leg warmers, they just annoy me, again probably as it's getting some that fit! chunky thighs and all that!! Either too big and gouge my legs stopping the blood flow or too baggy so just like my Castelli 3/4!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Yeah, lots of helpful stuff here, thanks!

CG – I've got a pair of 661 Kyle Strait Knee pads in size Youth (they fit me well but I've got fairly slim legs and I wouldn't want them any smaller so men's small might be good too). I thought I'd just wear them down technical descents (after a bit of a over the bars incident on a black run in Spain!) but actually they're surprisingly comfortable and I tend to wear them up and down (save faffing at the top). They do have a hard shell to protect your knee cap but have neoprene protection at the sides and are well-ventilated at the back. They also go in the washing machine really well and were only about £25 – I'd highly recommend them.

I'd be after a waterproof shell, but I'm beginning to wonder if I can survive in my old one if it's re-waterproofed (does that ever work?!) as I really don't know where I am size-wise at the mo! Might still have a look at some of the Gore stuff though – anyone recommend a particular one?

Munge-chick – I can understand you not loving the oompa lumpa look! Do you still have them though? If so, depending on size and if you want to get rid of them – I'll buy them off you! (I'm going to have to get used to looking like an oompa lumpa for a while anyway regardless of what I wear!) Oh and the Gore Alp X are a much more XC fit than the Loeka ones, so may well be worth a try.

juan
    Free Member

protective stuf = dainese… Nuff said.
    I reckon medium ones should fit you

tinker-belle
    Free Member

I have to say when it comes to winter stuff I swear by guys clothes, it's just that bit longer in the back, and I find I don't get the freezing cold strip across the base of my back (yes ok so I'm buit like

(just not as cute)

But I do find the guys stuff is a bit bigger so is a more comfortable fit when putting on top of other layers

Couldn't live without my Altura leggings, although after several years they now have a hole in them, and tbh I'm not sure I'll fit in them ever again 🙁

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Juan – Girlie gear thread… Nuff said!

Tink – treat yourself to some new ones – I just got the 3 seasons ones from Evans for £15 – they do come right up under my boobs mind… guess that means I'm built like a bit of a monkey too! 😀

juan
    Free Member

Juan – Girlie gear thread… Nuff said!

You have nt seen my wardrobe have you 😉

ebygomm
    Free Member

they do come right up under my boobs mind…

I find this with pretty much all clothing designed for outdoor stuff.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

True Juan – I really cannot vouch for you! 😀

ebygomm – ah, it's nice to know I'm not the only one! I'm actually think they'll be pretty good this winter as they'll keep my bump warm! 8)

domino

That Baked Alaska top up there ^^^ looks nice.

My Pearl Izumi Whisper vest is nice and I recently discovered armwarmers, I thought they were a bit silly but realised they would be sensible on my road bike. I got stripey Sugoi ones to stand out a bit more.

I don't have any icebreaker merino but a friend tells me its so comfy – I do have an Endura Baabaa merino top though and its nice, no shrinkage in the wash and no smellyness.

For feet I have some of those long wool socks that I can pull up under tights. I know I keep saying it but my feet and hands get cold because of poor circulation and my Shimano winter boots are truly ace at keeping my feet warm.

cinnamon_girl

A little update.

I bought some dhb arm warmers from Wiggle and they are useless! The lycra was not stretchy so there was no snug fit, just kept slipping down.

Waste of money 🙁

Bunnyhop

If you're anything like me c_g , I have to wear my elbow guards ( 661s ) upside down 'cos my arms are so skinny. I think that may be the problem.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

they do come right up under my boobs mind

I must indeed be a very dirty old man…

cinnamon_girl

Bunnyhop – I would love skinny arms! My old tatty arm warmers are a stretchy lycra so they stay in place. The dhb ones only have elastic at the top and bottom.

sfb – at least you admit it 😉

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

the best arm warmers are sugoi ones from minx as they have the sticky bit at the top to keep them up – i've two pairs but really want more. my favourite autumn kit is arm warmers, gilet, my terry knickers – so comfy – and a buff if needed.

i wish i'd not seen this thread, i want to go and buy more bike kit now, but i've been on holiday for the last 2 weeks and spent a fortune on non biking clothes (for once in my life!) and i am so skint, but….

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

as an aside, does anyone know where i can buy the sombrio la nina's from? i love mine and would like a second pair to commute in, but not coming up with much on google.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘The girlie gear thread’ is closed to new replies.