Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • The Gap Brecon Beacons.
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Which is more suited hardtail or bouncer?

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Either.

krag
    Free Member

For the actual gap itself, a full suss is more fun

For the other 90% of the 'gap route' either.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Hardtail. I did it on my Soul and had a great time even on the Gap.

Diawl
    Free Member

If you're thinking of doing it this weekend it might be quite busy as there's a British Heart Foundation walk on Saturday.

SOAP
    Free Member

Damn was gonna go tomorrow:-( wanted to do it before the weather turns.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Either. None of it is rough enough to really need a full sus (but then when do you ever really need one)?

Rickos
    Free Member

I've done it on both and I'd rather take the suspension bike, mainly for the first chunk of climbing that seems to have lots of sort of cobblestones that just become tiresome when sat down on a hardtail and seem to drag you backwards.

Diawl
    Free Member

You might be OK. They're going up Pen y Fan from Storey Arms and around the ridge back to Garw Nant. They're starting at 08:00.

james-o
    Free Member

better on a FS on the gap descent, it's a pinch-flat blackspot, but ridden it on a HT plenty of times and enjoyed it. same as any rocky trail really )

snowpaul
    Free Member

either – big climb t'other side – rode it on my 80mm hardtail in a group of hardtail / sussers – i wasnt last up or down ! I love it

paul

IHN

I did it on my Soul and had a great time even on the Gap.

Once you'd been towed to the top, eh? 😉

Hardtail's fine, I was on a 456, Bushwacked was on a Soul, Dan was on an Altitude, none of us died 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

If your starting Merthyr side – When you get to the gate at the end of the Roman road. Carry your bike up the mtn on your right. Follow the trail and it will bring you down into Talybont. A much better route than the standard Gap.

smiffy

Cyclocross, fully rigid and singlespeed are all possible.

I've done it on both and I'd rather take the suspension bike, mainly for the first chunk of climbing that seems to have lots of sort of cobblestones that just become tiresome when sat down on a hardtail and seem to drag you backwards.

suspension bike for going up? now I've heard it all.

SOAP
    Free Member

Ill be coming from Bristol way.
    Was gonna start at Talybont on Usk(I think) or is there a closer point south on route to start?
    gonna use the route from "justgoride"

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Hardtail, defintely.

SOAP
    Free Member

Think im gonna take the wolfridge.
    Will I know when im at the end of the Roman road?

SOAP
    Free Member

That was bumpy! Stunning views though 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Better traction as the wheel tracks better over rougher/rockier ground. 🙂

Hope you had some ale at the Star in Talybont. Ace pub!

MartynS

an Ale and a pickled egg at the Star is the way forward Captain.

SOAP
    Free Member

Cider boy here! I must be missing out! Lol
    Oh and a big thanks(NOT) to the guy on the red Santa claus bike for sending me down the wrong hill!

smiffy

Better traction as the wheel tracks better over rougher/rockier ground.

I have both, ride both all the time including regular trips over The Gap; and I'm inclined to not agree, bouncy stuff for me starts to make a difference at speed. Each to their own of course.

The Star was on good form this weekend, if the morris dancers did upset my dog!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I think people's responses say more about their own preferences than about the route in particular, but then, what is "best"? Some folk climb better on a full susser over the rough stuff, I think I probably do. I think personally I'd find the first 100 yrds after the Gap (going north) tricky on a hard tail. At least no one's mentioned a 29" fixed single speed yet.

I'd say you'll ride the descents quicker on a FS, and if that's what rocks your boat, go for it on your Marin.

Mooman – you talking about riding over Fan Y Big and Waun Rydd, bit cheeky…

SOAP
    Free Member

Found it all quite bumpy tbh, with not a lot of flow and that was on the Marin
    Before the finaly decent can you climb the mountain to the left and ride down from somewhere up there?
    just a thought
    Think i would rather keep on the M4 and go to Afan!

smiffy

I actually droped my fork and splattered curried baked beans over myself when I read that, but after a wipe down with a damp cloth and a think about it I realised that if you don't get the mountains then perhaps that is what Afan is for.

I shall be sticking to deliberately finding a long way round to my pint in Tal-y-bont and we shall both be happy. Tidy.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It's two different worlds. I spend one Saturday riding at Brechfa, then the Sunday riding The Gap. Very different, but both excellent outings.

SOAP
    Free Member

Don't get me wrong the mountains were stunning but there was not enough thrills for a 20 mile ride IMHO

IHN

Don't get me wrong the mountains were stunning but there was not enough thrills for a 20 mile ride IMHO

I think that pretty much sums up the pro/anti trail centre debate. I'd much rather ride 20 miles in 'stunning mountains' where thrills are a bonus, rather than 20 thrill-packed miles along a packed-gravel path around a forestry commission plantation.

Horses, as they say, for courses.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"not enough thrills for a 20 mile ride"

I like corners and whoops though, and trail centres do the best corners and whoops. But nature often does the best rocks, roots and ruts and general hairyness.

rkk01
    Free Member

I was going to say "how depressing"…

… but on reflection it is quite refreshing.

I live within 30 mins (car) from Afan / Glyncorrwg, but last rode there in 2008….

ETA – did the Gap from home on the bank holiday weekend.
    A good 80+ miler. Last climb to get home had the legs on fire

IanHaughton
    Free Member

I too would have dropped / split stuff if I'd have had anything to hand as I read that too Smiffy.

I drove from Suffolk to Brecons (460mile round trip)Saturday evening JUST to ride the Gap (for 4th time in last 12 months) Sunday morning in the rain and what a top ride it is from the steady climb out of Talbybont to the rock gardens and chute and then the descent from Gap and then the daft but fun mini trail thats actually riding better at present boulder wise to the tow path back to the car and cafe.

Trail centers have their place but for me don't have a patch on the natural riding but I'm so glad 95% of folks prefer trail centres or I might see more than the odd biker on the stuff I prefer and tranquilty beats all 😀

PS Ride the Gap again and believe me you'll get the flow as guys I rode with yesterday we're a lot quicker than their first time late last year when we rode it.

SOAP
    Free Member

I will defo ride again but it won't be at the top of my list!
    Think I must of missed the rock garden and the chute.
    Living 15 mins away from the Quantocks I ride natural terrain every weekend and so am somewhat spoilt.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I ride the gap route and enjoy it but its pretty tame in comparison to say Black Mountains or Sarn Helen epics. They provide more bang for your driving buck. I live in Bristol so do Afan, FOD etc etc each month. They all have their place in my riding as does the ones across the open Moors.

Chippy try these to reignite your love of natural riding

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/by/starbuck310

SOAP
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear I like the sound of the Black mountains route, Anyone got that on the Garmin connect site of gpx,tcx file?
    not quite ready for the other epics
    cheers

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

you can download it from bikely site as a gpx – works in my Dakota 450 🙂 You may have to register? Its 100% proven route and I rode it last Friday afternoon. Finished at 1800 weather was perfect. Sarn Helen route is a long one 😉

Colin-T

On that Sarn Helen route, it looks like it goes over the saddle between Fan Gyhirych and Fan Fraith? If it does, thats not a RoW, not even footpath 🙁 and the owner can, from all accounts get quite upset if he catches people. Shame really as it makes a lovely loop that I rode several times before realising the situation :oops:.

They do often use it in the Brecon Beast with permission.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Yup your right Colin not going to argue with you 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘The Gap Brecon Beacons.’ is closed to new replies.