Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 139 total)
  • The dreadful stuff you drank in your youth
  • Edukator
    Free Member

The contents of these bottles. As finances improved they were replaced with Cambras then Médoc and now cru bourgeois Médoc, though we buy a Cahors now and then when we are feeling nostalgic.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

UPDATED: MAY 18, 2012 Can from Arden Wines- now brewed at 7.4% and distributed by InBev UK. Looks like I’m the first rater to have stumbled on this filth for EIGHT years. Jesus, I’m desperate tonight. Gold with a fat white head falling to a slick. Aroma of rotting apples, grass cuttings, a sprinkle of acetone. Tastes EXACTLY like flying saucers, apple Chewits and sherbet-sprinkled paper. Which is a relief. Tempted to drink, but won’t be doing so.

Perhaps the best beer review ever!

binners

Aaaaaah……. white and frightening

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Baileys and tomato juice!

pictonroad

I used to be able to open my throat and just pour stuff into my stomach. This coupled with a sense of adventure and long boarding school weekends led to some dark dark times.

Pouring a litre of warm cinzano into myself whilst staying on a steeply sloped campsite was a low point. Very lucky not to have ended up in the sea.

*thinking back. It was a Louise that saved me that night,

ross980
    Free Member

In most pubs in my home town your choice of draught ale was this or Tetleys. Things have changed thankfully!

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I tried thunderbird for the first and last time during my first year of uni.
    Managed to fall asleep without the spinning room of doom feeling. Woke up, went for a pee in the toilet cubicle down the hall (no en-suites in our halls of residence), sat down, promptly vomited everywhere. Cleaned myself up in the shower and staggered back to bed. Cowered in my room the next morning when I heard the cleaners arrive.

ross980
    Free Member

We once had a night round all the pubs in York that served this:

No idea why. Horrible stuff; tastes like treacle. The only way to avoid prolonging the agony was to neck it. I vaguely remember things getting a bit messy…

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Most local pubs when I was a teenager served Watneys Red Barrel which was really shit , although as a 16 year old I knew no better . Then there was Starlight which was so weak and gassy it was impossible to drink enough to get pissed or you would have exploded .if you were going to a party you could get either a party 4 or a party 7 which were large cans containing either 4 or 7 pints of the same crap .

colournoise

All the usual suspects already mentioned – Thunderbird (thanks to the influence of the Dogs d’Amour), 20/20, various cheap strong lagers, etc.

Went through a neat vodka phase. Never ended well, those nights (especially when I discovered Smirnoff blue).

Worst thing I imbibed in my youth was shampoo. In my defence it was force fed to me while I was heavily under the influence already. Not sure the mate whose house we were in has ever forgiven me for the resulting blue, frothy projectile vomit that covered his parents’ lounge…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Clearly, we were both far too classy to drink Buckfast.

I tasted it once, howling stuff.

dannyh
    Free Member

White Lightning was for posh lads.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Homebrew, at teenager parties. Past caring and you’re having to sieve the yeast between your teeth. Eeeugh. Usually following a couple of quart bottles of Strongbow.

matt10214
    Free Member

Portland Sunset, named after the pub wall we drank it on. Stolen bottle of Pernod mixed with a cheap bottle of Bucks Fizz in a pint glass.

Ended bad.

greentricky
    Free Member

Uni was all about the purple nasty, VK’s and reefs, and every wednesday night was midnight madness, everything £1 from 11.30 to 12.30 so used to get multiple red, blue and green aftershock in one glass, thought of it makes me queezy now

llama

Southern comfort. Will never drink it again after ‘that night’.

Diamond white. Me and my mates worked in a bar, where one night we were drinking on a night off. It was busy so instead of queuing we go a crate of diamond white. Each. Eventually we decided not to bother queuing for the gents either when there were all these empty pint glasses around the place. At closing the bar manager came to get the now warm dead glasses. He fired us so the spot as he picked up 2 in 1 hand by dipping his fingers into the warm piss. I’ll never forget his look of disgust tinged with betrayal and incomprehension.

Special brew. Seriously. What was I thinking. I could never look her in the eye again after that, and she was a really nice girl.

spacemonkey

18 yrs old. Student flat.

One evening, I dined on these

Whilst washing it down with this

Then went down the student bar and polished off 4/5ths of one of these (in a brown paper bag)

2hrs start to finish.

Kebab on the way home. Decorated the walls of several rooms with alien vomit. Passed out. Hangover from hell. Mate rocked up and scrubbed everything clean. Top lad. Went to another mate’s house and spewed pink liquid. Felt normal around 8pm. Went down the student bar.

Happy – and classy – days. Not sure how I survived some of them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just remembered another of my uni days. A well known ‘nightclub’, a veritable palace of dreams, was free entry before 0930 (I think), so we’d plan our approach with precision.

The first step involved a bottle of Quagga. The cheapest red wine we could find. Whole bottle, in a big stein. I forget the exact timings, but everyone opened their bottle at entry-x minutes, and it was necked to meet the time we had to leave to walk down to the Palace of Dreams….

X minutes wasn’t many minutes. There was much shouting of soup.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Purple Nasty as shown under “vom vom vom ” on page 1. Snakebite & black for the uninitiated

greentricky
    Free Member

^used to do similiar before walking to the club, I used to go for a warm bottle of cheap supermarket own brand whitwine and my mate would do half a bottle of Port. Every week like clockwork. Grim

llama

Oh yes, a bottle of cheap wine, and a pint glass please barman. Plastic glass? That’ll do nicely.

sobriety
    Free Member

This sounds absolutely lethal.

It was indeed, we also used to occasionally strawpedo bottles of wine, that would seriously f*ck you up.

Oh, and the time I discovered that teachers whiskey tastes ok neat if you chase it with beer, did a half bottle in 30 minutes, then went to the pub. Woke up in the recovery position with no recollection of the evening… tunred out I came home hammered, was chatting with my housemate and passed out during the conversation (literally collapsed mid-sentence), he stuck me in the recovery position just in case I vommed and went to bed.

andrewreay

I’d forgotten all about Inch’s. Great to be reminded.

It was such a staple tipple that the corner shop used to sell out early in the evening, forcing us onto the more esoteric shelves. I really can’t remember the names of some of the shite we used to neck before heading out.

Generally it would be brightly coloured, way too sweet, but always in excess of 20% ABV. The critical criterion.

At the start of term, when funds were rather more ‘available’, used to treat myself to the half litre bottle of Spar own brand whisky. It had a hip flask shaped bottle. Despite a few bad nights, I still drink whisky (perhaps an indication of how bad the Spar stuff was).

Once on the town, we used to devour Lamont Pils. £1 a bottle at 6%.

For the after party, anything to impress the ladies. Archers, Bacardi, Malibu (or the corner shop equivalent which was sun tan oil and acetone I think).

Happy days.

Although, not proud to admit that more than a few finished up in A&E. Needless pressure on an overstretched service. Including one night when there was a BBC documentary crew filming about the needless pressure on an overstretched service…

Now I go mountain biking instead.

grumpygit
    Free Member

Once drank some meths on a camping trip!

Also another time drank an entire crate of Bacardi breezers then a bottle of red wine. Urgh…..

sobriety
    Free Member

Now I go mountain biking instead.

We used that to recover from the hangovers so we could carry on that night, puke in the bushes on the first climb and you were golden for the rest of the ride/day/night out.

I miss being young and invincible.

allthepies
    Free Member

Merrydown Cider nights at Uni.

The precursor to the land of the walking dead.

Northwind

For some reason, I decided I was a Castlemaine XXXX man when I was about 15. Probably because it was the only thing I’d ever drunk and therefore had to be my favourite. For years that was all I drank, that and jamesons whisky. Still like the jamesons but no more aussie urine for me please.

At uni I drank a lot of snapping turtles- £1 a drink on a sunday night in the union and I was in there every sunday. Orange juice, peach schnapps, blue curacao, vodka, all topped off with fat cream which instantly curdles into blobs and floats around the drink like a lava lamp. (and honestly, you’d probably be safer drinking a lava lamp). Actually I could go for a few of those right now.

edhornby

lunge

Snakey B/diesel, obviously.
    20/20 equally obviosuly.

Then we started mixing…
    Turbo diesel – cider, lager, black current, double vodka. Filth.
    Turbo spritzer – white wine, Smirnoff ice, shot of Malibu. Rank.

Those were the days.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

20/20 – football coach trips
    TNT – football coach trips
    BREAKER – up the woods
    Grolsch – around the streets
    Molson – around the streets
    Red Stripe – up the woods
    Kronenberg – anywhere
    Leffe 9 per cent stuff, two small bottles and hammered! in the pub.
    Scrumpy – on holiday in Somerset
    Superbock – holiday abroad
    Amstel – holiday abroad

epicyclo

My brother and I distilled our own. It enabled us to give awesome parties where all the good looking girls wanting hot sex right away turned up.

Or so we told.

Should never have drunk the stuff ourselves. It was mainly genuine firewater with the occasional drop of genius.

The one good thing about it was that’s how I met my wife.

Northwind – Member
    For some reason, I decided I was a Castlemaine XXXX man when I was about 15…

You know why they call it XXXX?

Because Queenslanders can’t spell beer…

Nipper99
    Free Member

I must have been the only one…..

hammerite
    Free Member

As a young teenager I started on Diamond White, Kestrel Super, Tennents Super, Mad Dog etc… much like many of the previous correspondents.

Sundays after playing football used to revolve around numerous pints of Red Stripe or Kronenbourg in the local at lunch. Followed by a trip to town for something to eat, a trip to the Saracens Head for more Red Stripe, followed by bottles of Jammin or Metz alcopops when too many beers had been drunk. We’d then end up in Chaplins which had the stickiest floor in the world. It was tough to get up for school the next morning.

At uni I decided that lager gave me spots so moved to bitter (Stones) or those weird Irish beers Wexford, Caffreys, Harp Irish or Beamish Red. This would usually be followed by fuel injected turbo shandies (extra vodka shots), and TVRs (tequila, vodka and red bull). Nights generally finished up with After Shocks. By the time I was coming towards graduation turbo shandies were being replaced by cheeky vimto.

tomhoward

A shot of this…

Mixed with a shot of

Topped up with a shot of

And finished with a shot of

Then necked in one, x about 15.

A word of warning though, it turns into a brown sludge which, when combined with what you ate for tea (in my case , spaghetti hoops on toast) does not clean up easily once thrown up onto the cream carpet of the girl that had brought me home, and kicked out, before getting kicked out of 2 taxis and totally not remembering wandering the streets of Derby for 4 hours before sobering up enough to work out where I was and to phone a taxi.

Then have a hangover for 3 days. Didn’t drink for a month after, even when working in a busy city centre bar.

Never saw that girl again…

sweepy
    Free Member

Just looked up black bottle, seems it got a relaunch a few years ago and is a bit more respectable that the shite it was in my teens.

NO- the old black bottle was a well regarded blend up here, after the change it became the only bottle of whisky neither I or the wife could finish, we actually poured it down the sink.

When I was in my drinking days I used to go to the local cornershop where they would fill a bottle you took yourself with sherry from a plastic barrel, for 70p.

jimmy

Havent seen Lambrini mentioned yet. Think it was £3.75 for 1.5l at uni so a bottle of that and a fiver for £1 pints/doubles down the union saw me right for a night. As in, unable to walk, talk or remember anything.

RichPenny
    Free Member

If there’s one thing a big family birthday party needs, it’s a hallucinogenic mind enema endorsed by a bloke who removed his own ear after drinking it.

CountZero

Worthington ‘E’, Watney’s Red Barrel, Bell’s and Teachers Scotch, that’s about it, really, and that was late in my teens, because I didn’t have a bunch of mates to go getting drunk with, I went to the pub on my own, mostly, and that stuff was what was advertised on telly.
    Once I got friendly with a small bunch, one of whom lived at a pub in town, then learning what was decent beer and scotch began in earnest…

timber

Whilst at college, I was on a pretty much guaranteed promise with a university girl, until a chance discovery of Ouzo towards the end of the night out left me comatose.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘The dreadful stuff you drank in your youth’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM