Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)
  • The dreadful stuff you drank in your youth
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

pernod. Stole it once it from my dad’s drinks cabinet.

The old man and I had a Chinese together one night, he went to bed I drank some pernod (as you do), felt ill and puked in the kitchen sink. Next morning I went in the kitchen and dad was picking noodles out of the plughole asking me why I had scraped my plate direct in the sink.

km79
    Free Member

Used to buy a bottle of cheap whisky from the video shop (yes that’s right, the video shop) Black Bottle I think and a single can of coke.

Open the coke and take a swig, top up can with whisky, swig, top up and repeat, by the time you got to taste the vile whisky you were blootered anyways so it didn’t matter and then you just switched to drinking it straight from the bottle.

Just looked up black bottle, seems it got a relaunch a few years ago and is a bit more respectable that the shite it was in my teens.

jonesyboy

Tommys Special – Snake bite and black with a double vodka. Ideally Stella and scrumpy. It was the catch up drink if you were late on a night out 😈

chakaping
    Free Member

sobriety – Member

Snakebosh

Tennents Super, Diamond White Cider with port on top for the colour.

This sounds absolutely lethal.

😯

jamj1974

Blastaway – a Castaway with a K (9%?) cider

Those were the days…

binners

Blastaway- diamond white cider bottle and castaway bottle (alcoholic Lilt!) poured into a pint glass

We took that up a level. Before a night out clubbing at the height of acid house stupidity, it was the law that first drink of the evening had to be a ‘Fastaway’. Basically one of those with a gram of speed mixed in. Christ, we were idiots!

Another ‘first drink of the evening’ favourite involved Flashy’s original post – a Green Nasty – Pint glass, bottle of K cider, bottle of Lowenbrau Pils, 2 shots of Blue Bols, 1 Shot of Vodka. Turns your pint bright green. Hence the name

Cheers!

Houns

only cr@p concoction I drank relatively regularly was in my late teens. To get us through a night at the picture house we’d drink: a bottle of VK (alcopop type thing in silver bottle) a double vodka, red Bull and a splash of Smirnoff ice all in a pint glass. They weren’t cheap!

binners

I gather turbo-shandies are a given?

Theres a club in Darwen where they have a bar that just dispenses Cheeky Vimto’s in pint glasses with a curly straw

136stu
    Free Member

Very much this, got so drunk off it, even seeing the logo makes me gip.

bigblackshed

Snakebite and black. Known locally as diesel.

Red or blue Thunderbird. When it was ice cold it wasn’t completely vile.

I can’t drink Jack Daniels, Southern Comfort, any brandy, any whisky, or whiskey. Drank to excess and now cant touch it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I used to knock around with some members of our ladies’ rugby team at sixth form, a truly magnificent bunch of people of all abilities.

The team drink was a “Green Bastard”, which looked as though you were drinking neat Fairy Liquid.

Take one measure of blue curacao, one measure of vodka and mix with a pint of lager.

Et viola, multi-coloured sick and a green hangover poo the next morning.

MrPottatoHead

Reef, basically orange juice with Vodka in. 66p a drink on a Sunday night, so hammered on a fiver. Good times.

binners

There seems to be a theme emerging around bourbon. I’m the same. After a teenage near-death-experience on it, the merest whiff of it has me gipping

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Hey nonny nonny…

gallowayboy

Snakebite and black was known as purple nasty – that was a later discovery for me. My local pubs usually served Tartan Special or Tennants Lager, its just as well there was limited access to stronger beers. When one pub started serving tennants special lager, I developed a bad habit. That and Lambs and Coke.
    edit – whisky was always taken after eight pints or so….

yossarian
    Free Member

There was a beer on tap at my local called ‘navigation’. It was cheap, tasted like special brew on steroids and was the tipple of choice for all of the underage drinkers.

Found out many years later that the landlord ‘mixed’ it himself from the slops and added whatever cheap spirits he had to hand.

It was dynamite.

marcus7
    Free Member

Gold label finished off with a bottle of ouzo……

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hey nonny nonny…

“…I’ve just sharted my trollies”?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Reef, basically orange juice with Vodka in. 66p a drink on a Sunday night, so hammered on a fiver. Good times.

I was just about to post how could I forget about reef!

Ultimate strawpedo drink.

Klunk
    Free Member

my mates dad’s elderberry wine was pretty grim 😯 used to give you hallucinations 🙂

stumpy01

Pints of turbo shandy – Stella and Smirnoff Ice. But you had to buy a pint of Stella and drink it until you could top up with the Smirnoff Ice.

Multiple Aftershokz mixed together…

Cheeky Vimto – blue WKD with a double port thrown in for good measure.

Torpedos – bottled beer of choice with a straw to the bottom to let the air in that was folded back down the outside of the bottle and then drink as quick as you can…

And my Mate Guy’s legendary bucket….whenever there was a weekend planned, there would be his bucket and ladle and we’d make a cocktail…can’t remember the exact recipe, but it was along the lines of a bottle of vodka, bottle of peach schnapps, 4 Bacardi breezers, cherryade and orange juice….

These days it’s 2 ales and an early night!

twonks

Mostly the stuff that’s been mentioned for my yoof, with a few extras.

20/20
    Hooch
    Two Dogs
    Holsten Pils
    Smirnoff Ice
    Malibu and coke
    Archers and lemonade
    Pernot and lemonade
    Ouzo (dangerous stuff)
    Port (dads when I was skint and needed a pre club taster)

and the one that had me in trouble on holiday.

Red Aftershock – drank so many Spanish holiday resort measures that I could taste it for weeks (despite parting company with most of it the same day)

breadcrumb

Archers and Taboo, mixed.

Neat room temperature vodka.

Carlsberg export.

Aftershock- vomtastic.

grum
    Free Member

4 pack of:

Ripoff of Diamond White. Even less classy than White Lightning.

I still feel sick at the slightest whiff of Southern Comfort also.

slowbloke
    Free Member

Special Brew
    Thunderbird
    Polly of Wales – vodka, gin, blue curaco, snakebite and a dash of Orange Juice. Looked like A pint of fairy liquid.

Judging by the state of a bloke in the pub the other night the new death “drink” is gas chambers.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Alcohol didn’t touch my lips until I was 21, then when I moved to the UK my new mates took me here, for this.. it ended very badly.

Cider at the Cider House, Quatt Shropshire..

woody71
    Free Member

Had a truly dreadful experience at 16 (pre drinking expertise)!with a bottle of red Thunderbird, some tequila slammers and a bong. Resulted in me spewing everywhere and having to be carried home by two people with sick comment my out of my nose and all down my front. Ohhh my god I’m lucky I survived that one

Much better experience later on drinking BMW turbo’s (baileys, Malibu, whiskey and tequila). A complex flavour a bit similar to an alcoholic Bounty Bar

BobaFatt
    Free Member

From the local “mosher” bar – eclectic jukebox and a strong odor of patchouli oil

I see it still sells in Morrisons, and as tempted as I am to try it, I’d rather keep it on the ivory pedestal of fine beverages and not reminiscing of throwing up down the side of a taxi

dannyh
    Free Member

Snakebite and Black. Kiwi flavored 20/20. Metz. Moscow Mule. Brownie Bomber (snakebite and black depth charged with Taboo and Malibu).

The list is probably longer, but I’m afraid I can’t remember most of it……….

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

As a student I did a night on “snake bite” made with barley wine and old Rosie scrumpy, it was a surprisingly long night. I think i gave up about two rounds after someone (probably one of the members of the group who wasn’t playing) suggested that Mexicans drank tequila after being bitten by snakes to help neutralise the poison. This was obviously bs but meant subsequent pints were followed by a large shot of jose cuevro.

I went for a “tactical chunder” that turned into a tactical withdrawal.

allthegear
    Free Member

Brew Dog 😉

Rachel

tinybits
    Free Member

Christ these names give me flashbacks!

TNT, merrydown and diamond blush… it’s taken me 20 years to drink cider again!

One night the girls had a bottle of archers, the boys had a bottle of southern comfort so the inevitable happened… my mate Andrew was so sick he actually splashed the ceiling!

Bloody awful whisky, knock off white rum, basically anything that could get you smashed cheaply. I miss it (youth) I don’t miss it (the disgustingness)

RustySpanner

So many…..

Green Chartreuse, until Eamon put his hand through a window.

Woods 100 rum enjoyed a brief vogue, but a staple was Inch’s Stonehouse Cider,as endorsed back then on the label by David Gower.

2 litres for £2.99, lovely.

Oh and poteen, from various friends, usually brought back in a couple of 2 ltr lemonade bottles on the back shelf of the car.
    🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

First carry out was at 15, the night Scotland beat Sweden in the 90 World Cup, a bottle of merrydown (ola Perchypanther!) a quarter bottle of Smirnoff and 4 triludan hay fever tabs. Hey, they were tabs, must be good eh?

Never been as sick in my life.

Jamie
    Free Member

[img]https://i.imgur.com/KaoMdgD.jpg[/img]

badllama
    Free Member

Snake bite and black
    Tennents Extra + Strongbow + black current.

Many a mad night down at the Abergavenny Hotel, which at the time had the only nightclub in the town in the basement/cellar.
    South Wales town where everyone knew everyone it was like the OK Corral on a Friday/Saturday night!

As a 16 year old Manc lad 2 week after taking my GCSE’s it was quiet an education!

BenjiM

We used to drink Helden Brau Super Strength at the local park. Christ it was rough but 4 cans and you could barely walk. The breeze block surround for the septic tank behind the village hall was known as the heldy bin. After the Heldy on the park it was a trip to The Grapes, Stags or Bushells or carry outs from the local Thresher depending who was working that night as we all worked there!

Here’s a review from ratebeer.com

UPDATED: MAY 18, 2012 Can from Arden Wines- now brewed at 7.4% and distributed by InBev UK. Looks like I’m the first rater to have stumbled on this filth for EIGHT years. Jesus, I’m desperate tonight. Gold with a fat white head falling to a slick. Aroma of rotting apples, grass cuttings, a sprinkle of acetone. Tastes EXACTLY like flying saucers, apple Chewits and sherbet-sprinkled paper. Which is a relief. Tempted to drink, but won’t be doing so.

swdan
    Free Member

15 pints of purple nasty, never again

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Special red, heldenbrau super, 2.50 a bottle sherry, Bucky, gees linctus, vodka and night nurse, special brew, a range of white ciders and enigma

perchypanther
    Free Member

a bottle of merrydown (ola Perchypanther!)

Clearly, we were both far too classy to drink Buckfast.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘The dreadful stuff you drank in your youth’ is closed to new replies.