Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The bumps
  • DezB
    Free Member

It’s my kid’s birthday today and I think he’s missing out not getting the bumps at school.
    When did it die out? Was it because it got too violent with the added kicking and dropping? Never did me any harm!
    Did you have the bumps?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Birthday in Summer holidays meant I never had proper violent bumps 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

This has probably affected your personality in some way, DD.

meeeee
    Free Member

yep we had that as well, with the added kicking and dropping as well. Ahh the good old days of school, makes me go all misty eyed thinking back 😆

i wonder what other things have died out. How about the ‘smell the cheese’ joke or that one where you get someone to twist their arms over then you pull down on the fists shouting ‘bingo!’ Both classics that you only fall for once!

philconsequence
    Free Member

we invented the ‘birthday box’ for my friend richard, a cardboard box would be put over his head and he’d be hit as many times as possible before the box fell to bits.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

This has probably affected your personality in some way, DD.

😀

You’ve hit on something there I reckon.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

we invented the ‘birthday box’ for my friend richard, a cardboard box would be put over his head and he’d be hit as many times as possible before the box fell to bits.

Happy days….

philconsequence
    Free Member

he was a nutter :mrgreen:

i miss him 🙁

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

During murder ball games. If you got hit three times in a row you’d get extra hard beats, if you were the last hit before the end of break you’d also get extra hard beats. My mate managed to be the only person in my 5 years of senior school to combine these two forfeits into one. He was still lying motionless in the playground whilst the rest of us were a good 10 minutes into the next lesson.

There was no long term damage, character building is what it was.

sobriety
    Free Member

Getting beats was fine, getting wrapsys (thumped repeatedly across the knuckles with the end of the deck) from a deck of cards if you lost at chinese slam was painful!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Wedgies! The hedge rows of our school bus route were littered with the tattered remnants of Y fronts.

Rubber_Buccaneer

and posting. Posting is when the victim is carried by arms & legs like a battering ram and swung crotch first at a post. Happy days indeed, probably no permanent damage….

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s comforting to know that there were regional variations on extreme violence and cruelty. To the best of my knowledge we didn’t have posting and whilst wedgies happened every so often they certainly weren’t of the epidemic proportion described above. It’s the sort of stuff that made this country great.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘The bumps’ is closed to new replies.