Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • The Bridge
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Yes very late to the party but it is very brilliant 😀

scotroutes

One of Iain Banks finest novels

cynic-al
    Free Member

I appear to be the last person in the UK not to be convinced.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Did you know that while “Nordic Noir” (as its been dubbed) is exported here, the swedes and danes enjoy nothing more than a spot of Midsummer Murders.

stumpy01

Not trolling, but never heard of it. All of these TV series that ‘everyone watches’ always seem to pass me by; breaking bad, The Wire, 24, Lost, Walking Dead etc. etc……

Pigface
    Free Member

Dont worry about it, different strokes for different folks 🙂

Yes and the Swedes like a show about an angry carpenter 😆

DrJ

@stumpy01 – no offence, but that’s your loss. The Wire is the best thing that has ever been on TV in the entire history of televisual entertainment. On the other hand, I did not watch Breaking Bad, but now I got a DVD set for Christmas and I have to make a conscious effort to turn it off and go to bed at night.

xiphon
    Free Member

I’m with DrJ on ‘The Wire’

By far the greatest TV series ever produced – so raw and gritty

juanking

Is it wrong that I prefer the Tunnel version of the Bridge. Well I do so there, I said it.

globalti
    Free Member

If you enjoy all those Swedish/Danish dramas get the DVD of A Hijacking, a very good and very tense film in the same style, about the hijack of a freighter by Somali pirates.

CountZero

I never watched the first Bridge series, as I was watching loads of other series, so watched The Tunnel, which I really enjoyed. Now I’m watching The Bridge 2, and it’s interesting seeing the similarities between the two female leads,Clemance Poesy I think was even better than Sofia Helin, showing a degree of vulnerability that Saga/Sofia doesn’t really have.

Hohum
    Free Member

juanking – Member

Is it wrong that I prefer the Tunnel version of the Bridge. Well I do so there, I said it.

My wife and I agree with you.

We really enjoyed The Tunnel and couldn’t wait for each next episode. We then started watching The Bridge over Christmas and whilst it is good, it only feels like 80% of The Tunnel.

DrJ

Ho Hum – interesting that you and juanking saw The Tunnel first. Maybe we all like the one we saw first, as the second seems a bit … ho hum.

Hohum
    Free Member

Dr J,

Yes, I would agree with that.

juanking

We knew the Tunnel was based on the Bridge and because we watch most series on the Raspberry PI we watched the first episode of the Bridge then watched the first of the Tunnel and decided we preferred the Tunnel. Infact we both started watching episode 1 of series 2 and decided we would wait until it was ‘translated’ to the Tunnel.

maxtorque

Now this is getting interesting! 😉

CountZero

I was just thinking about the differences between the two series, and why The Tunnel seems to have the edge over The Bridge, and I think it’s partly because Clemance’s character, while having real problems relating to other people, is clearly trying to understand them, and shows vulnerability, whereas Saga just comes across as not giving a toss about anyone else, the main difference, though, is a cultural one; with The Bridge, you have two countries, but they’re essentially the same Nordic/Scandinavian people, same language, etc, so any issues are down to politics/procedures.
    With The Tunnel, however, not only are there stark procedural differences, there are the language problems and the ever-present English/French animosities, the ‘Rosbif/Froggie’ thing, which makes for much greater tension between the main characters, quite apart from the personality issues going on.
    That’s what I think, anyway. 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Interesting Count, I have spent a long time in Scandinavia and the animosity between Danes and Swedes is there but as in all things Scandinavian it is understated. I think Saga does give a toss but is being a typical Swede 😆

Which came first?

Will confess to only seeing a bit of the Tunnel

cinnamon_girl

The Tunnel? Que?

ebygomm
    Free Member

same language, etc

You know Swedish is a different language to Danish, right?

The fact that Saga couldn’t pronounce Rohde was brought up multiple times in the first series, although to be fair a lot of the time they didn’t bother translating the little digs made.

cinnamon_girl

If you enjoy all those Swedish/Danish dramas get the DVD of A Hijacking, a very good and very tense film in the same style, about the hijack of a freighter by Somali pirates.

I remember you recommending this not long ago. I bought it for £5 posted from Asda but haven’t yet watched it.

Also enjoyed watching Spiral, a French cop drama with subtitles. Plenty of action although there is the odd gruesome scene.

bigad40
    Free Member

Mrs and me are well into it.
    I want that 911

DrJ

Spiral is superb. Even better than The Bridge maybe. The only downside is it made me a bit scared of being in Paris :-). For more Froggy noir try Braquo.

maxtorque

There’s a bit of a clue as to the different languages in the main titles!

pedlad

Enjoyed the first series of the bridge and looking forward to the second on recorder.
    I too think that Spiral is a notch above though and can’t wait for the next series so recommended.

maxtorque

I think this second series has taken a bit longer to get going. It all looked a bit too obvious initally, but of course, now we are getting into the twisty turny bit! After last nights double header (eps 3 & 4) i’m hooked again!

julianwilson
    Free Member

The fact that Saga couldn’t pronounce Rohde was brought up multiple times in the first series,

..I notice that Martin still pronounces Saga’s name diferently. Is this something about Danes speaking Swedish (They must be able to pronounce an open ‘A’, shirley?) or is this his response to her mispronounciation of his name?

DrJ

It’s just the different pronunciation of the name Saga between DK and SE

CountZero

You know Swedish is a different language to Danish, right?

The fact that Saga couldn’t pronounce Rohde was brought up multiple times in the first series, although to be fair a lot of the time they didn’t bother translating the little digs made.

Well, I know they’re different, but I was sure I’d read that they’re close enough for it to be possible to carry on a conversation, as the languages are very close in structure, unlike French and English.
    And as I pointed out earlier, I never saw the first series, I watched The Tunnel instead, so I couldn’t possibly know about Saga not being able to pronounce Rohde, there are plenty of English people who have issues pronouncing unusual British names, so I wouldn’t think anything of that.
    And any needle between them I would put down to something like between say an English/Scottish police operation, which could also involve name pronunciation issues.

Pigface
    Free Member

The Swedes always say Danes sound like they have porridge in their throats, a lot more guttural, damn porridge eaters 😆

Edit the languages are very similar but some differences.

Pigface
    Free Member

More twists and turns, some very dark humour. Loving it.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘The Bridge’ is closed to new replies.