Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The Beast.
  • Kramer
    Free Member

First time there today, normally go down potato alley and up the other side, but went to have a look today. Isn't it great?

Going to take a friend there next weekend.

sharki
    Free Member

It's over rated IMHO

Tis ok though, at least it's not flat and smooth

racing_ralph
    Free Member

sharki have you ridden it more than once?

vdubber67
    Free Member

I really like The Beast. An excellent descent that always leaves me smiling / cursing depending upon whether I've cleaned it that day!

matt_outandabout

Beast is great – short, steep, rocky and keeps you on yer toes the whole way down. 🙂

stonemonkey
    Free Member

I'm with sharki on this really , i had heard the name and had ridden it many times unknowingly, heard people talking about it as if it was the most tech thing ever, when i found out where it was i was a little disappointed, was doing it on a 5 in full suss mind. On a positive side it changes quite a lot through use and water errosion so it does keep you on your toes.

sharki
    Free Member

Just the once Rob when i was up there with you guys, twas ok but cavedale, hag farm and whats it's name down to wear you got food poisoning were more enjoyable.

The beast for me just isn't what i deem to be a great trail!

higgo
    Free Member

and whats it's name down to wear you got food poisoning

That couldn't be 'Lockerbrook' then. Cos he couldn't have got food poisoning from the Fairholmes cafe.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

lol – not twice higgo

slowrider
    Free Member

i like the beast. i dont use it much as its a bit short and doesnt link in well with my current fave loop. if you acept it for what it is then its great, a fun little trail to try at speed, spot hard lines and nail them. its got some good camber on bedrock that works against you and some sections where the best line isnt always obvious which i really like. some of my mates get stressed with it as they think they are riding it 'wrong' as it doesnt flow, but i think thats kind of the point, you have to beat it in to flowing if that makes sense!

beerbelly
    Free Member

Thonk we came down it today thought i was good no super technical but hard enough

beerbelly
    Free Member

Sorry for spelling am a bit pissed 🙂

Kramer
    Free Member

It might have been potato alley beerbelly? Potato alley is if you go straight on at Hope Cross, the Beast is if you turn right through the woods.

Potato alley is loose and rocky as well.

What time were you on it today? Were you with a couple of whippets who rode all the way up the Hagg Farm ascent?

Pieface

Have you ridden it more than once Rob?

didmatt
    Free Member

Kramer – That could of been the group I was with? We was stopped at the road before Hagg farm about 1ish? I was the guy on a SX Trail?

Rode down the beast today for the first time, pretty enjoyable. As people have said, alittle short though more so on a big travel bike. Could done with having a few more drops too!

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Are you lot talking about The Beast at Thetford? I decided to drive out and check out the Thetford trails for the first time yesterday. Beast was a bit "meh" to be honest. Was fun for a coupe of minutes but not really worth bobbing along the bumpy black route for 45 minutes to get to it, IMO.

Was expecting to see more MTBs up there. Only spotted one or two at the side of the trail.

mrsflash
    Free Member

No, they're talking about the Beast in the Peak.

Drac

It's ok not that difficult but not a bad descent.

stumpy01

First time I did it, I got down it without too much bother….stopped a couple of times mainly due to poor line choices.

Went back about 6 weeks ago and it was wet – couldn't get down it for love nor money. If Carmen Electra had been at the bottom in a very small bikini egging me on to 'come and get her' I could not have gone any faster….I was very disappointed. I also put a deep gash in the crook of my elbow on a branch at the right hand side that was sticking out of a fallen tree – which put me in an even worse mood!

I don't know the names of any of the bits round there (apart from the beast), but I do like it.

Erm…the Beast at Thetford is slightly different!! It used to be a lot more flowing & fun, but it has eroded quite badly over the yrs.
    Jase_MK you do sometimes ride all day at Thetford and not see another soul.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Ah ok, ignore me then! I did think you were all getting a bit excited over not very much!

Drac

Your not really wrong doesn't live up to the hype you sometimes here of it.

retro83
    Free Member

I found it quite tricky and fun but then i am from essex. We have no hills or rocks for that matter here. 🙂

My friend managed to pull an amazing vertical trackstand after hooking his front wheel up on a boulder as you go round the corner.
    Time seemed to pause as he floated in an impossible balance, his face holding an expression reminiscent of beaker from the muppets. Somehow he still landed it too!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The Beast.’ is closed to new replies.