Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The BBC weather map
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Surely, with all the cash and technology at the disposal of the BBC, they could have a weather map without visible lines… I’m guessing it’s projected onto tiles of some sort or it’s a large LCD screen, surely they can get one large one rather than 4 squeezed together.

kevin1911

Agreed. I find it quite annoying too, especially as they all seem to be at different levels of contrast, hue and brightness

cooie

+1. I’ve been moaning how crap it looks from the off. Think some other big screen things are the same on the Beeb.

DezB
    Free Member

Amazed that anyone notices! I don’t – I just look at my area and how windy it’s going to be…

Davy
    Free Member

I’d be more impressed if they could get the forecast right!

iain1775
    Free Member

Id be more impressed if they just showed the whole country rather than scrolling round so I very quickly get on the very corner of the screen to see what the weather WAS like in Derby at 3am!
    Non licence payers in Ireland get more weather information than us in the Midlands

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I bet you’ve all forgotten the old non-satellite maps already.

Hohum
    Free Member

I miss the old synoptic charts to be honest.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

They were a design classic, but you can’t deny the extra detail you get from the new ones.

rootes1

this is a good page showing development over the years from the 50’s

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/weather/bbc.html

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^^

Thanks for that rootes1.

Interesting to see how things have changed.

However, it does make me miss the old synoptic charts even more!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

+1 for the old maps – the new ones have such awful muddy colours, an the y don’t give me any real idea of how cloudy it is or how weavy the rain will be. Upgrade fail.

cxi
    Free Member

I’ve commented to my good lady about the lack of calibration across the panels. I think she feel asleep quite soon after…

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t like the new maps, plus. I live in the south but I sill find it annoying that the camera pan sweeps over the North and Scotland with a very flat angle encapsulating a massive area with little detail but when down south everything is nicely spread out. I know the population density is greater down south so there is arguably a reason to have the south at a large resolution but it seems disproportionate.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don’t understand why they can’t just display it in 2D instead of having to look at it from an angle, like looking at the UK from a slightly off-angle position is somehow more acceptable than the 2D representation. And I hate how this then means that when they render the clouds/sympbols over the map I can’t tell if they expect that to represent the weather as it would be vertically below the symbol if it were a 3D world, or behind the symbol as we look at it, which in Scotland can appear to be as much as 100 miles different!.

matthewjb
    Free Member

And I hate how this then means that when they render the clouds/sympbols over the map I can’t tell if they expect that to represent the weather as it would be vertically below the symbol if it were a 3D world, or behind the symbol as we look at it, which in Scotland can appear to be as much as 100 miles different!.

They’re probably trying to introduce so vagueness into the forecast. Don’t be too definite it’ll only be wrong.

highclimber
    Free Member

they always seem to forget the Northwest even exists. I hate BBC weather. much rather look on the Met office website.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘The BBC weather map’ is closed to new replies.