Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • The Athertons
  • will_e
    Free Member

Just wondering what everyone on here thinks about the Atherton Family??
    Do you think they are good?
    Who is your favourite rider?
    Does anyone watch the Atherton project?

geoffj

Very talented with good publicists.
    Not my cup of tea though.

will_e
    Free Member

Agreed geoffj!
    Are you more of an XC cyclist then?

kimbers

gee seems a bit of a weirdo, tries a bit too hard to be cool imho
    rachel is lovely
    i always feel sorry for dan seems he’s always second best to his brother

its probably all bollox tho no idea what they are really like as people its all based on a handful of interviews ive read and the slickly produced online videos

all i know for sure is that all 3 of them overtook me at the mega a few years ago and they were going silly fast

Northwind

I think the TV can give a really false impression, Gee seemed sound enough in person but consistently comes across as a raging knob on camera. Never met the others, Dan always seems to have a bit more going on upstairs. Superb riders all…

johnikgriff
    Free Member

We’ve run into Dan and Rachel few times in Llandegla car park. Dont know us of Adam, but always very friendy and chatty (obviously as we’re “a bit” older, we put them straight on a few riding issues they have, lol). Saw them ride a few bits and it was another world.

chakaping
    Free Member

If Gee does come across as a bit of a dick sometimes, I think it’s in quite a loveable way.

He seemed really stunned after riding so well himself and still getting thrashed by Hart and Gwin on Sunday – felt for the guy.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I’d much rather watch Gee than listen to him! They’re all talented, I think Dan gets the thumbs up as he’s less alpha.

stanfree
    Free Member

As others have said fantastic riders , Gee has been amazing this year . he seems to suffer from trying to sound a bit to street , As he seems to be permantly stoked. That said he seems pretty approachable at Fort William for autographs photo etc so Is obviously a decent lad. Dan seems a nice guy and had a fair bit of bad luck and Rachel just seems lovely .

GW
    Free Member

The whole family?
    Dad’s a nice friendly decent bloke, never really spoken to mum, wee sis is well, an annoying wee sis, the brothers are sound but in very different ways. no idea about grandparents, uncles and aunties etc.

always preferred Dan’s riding style to his faster wee brothers’

Radioman

I think they are great in terms of riding obviously their superb results speak for themselves. Its always hard judging people in personal terms from whats in the media, but they seem a good bunch to me. As above they are all extremely good. I Look forward to seeing Rach as world champ!

lister

All the fun and games seem a little forced at times, trying to be too cool (and very odd accents for Shropshire folk.)
    But…you can’t knock Gee’s riding, one of the fastest racers there is AND pushing for top honours at the Rampage on the same bike.

Shame Dan’s season hasn’t gone to well, what with the concentrating on DH and all that…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I admire Gee’s riding in the World Cups I’ve watched – he has great focus and dedication to the sport. The battle between him and Greg last year was tops.

I think Rach comes across a bit ditzy, but her riding is completely fast and fearless so hats off.

I’d like to see Dan find a format or outlet that suits his talents.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

They’re not from Shropshire Lister – they grew up in Cheddar.

I think they’re all awesome. A good group, having fun, enjoying the lifestyle they’ve worked hard to be able to live and pulling in some amazing results in the process.
    I suspect spending some time travelling to races with them, etc is a very good laugh.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Great riders! Have you seen Gee doing the Red Bull Rampage? He has to be one of the best (if not the best) all round mtb riders out there. As for his ‘cockiness’ well if he wasn’t he wouldn’t be the rider he is would he?
    To have 3 kids who are all professional bike riders must be . . er . . awesome, hats off to their parents for helping to achieve what they have.

palmer77
    Free Member

Gee and Dan seem fine to me, Rachel is the one who comes across as trying too hard to be cool.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Remember when they were all kids on the bmx trails in Wells, approachable then and incredibly likeable, deserve all the praise they get for the hard work and commitment they have showmn over the years.

yunki
    Free Member

I think they all would have done a lot better without having to play up to the camera.. and I think that deep down they probably know that too..
    In my opinion they all look dead uncomfortable with it.. hence why all three of them can come across as a bit wierd occasionally..

canibearaindogtoo
    Free Member

mad skillz an that but the series was unwatchable for all the sik, gnarly and awesome at every touch and turn. ‘Biscuit, Gee?’ ‘Yeah man, sik rad and that! Any gnarly brew juice aswell?’

Would give owt for half their talent though.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

Pfft! They seem like they have a good time and seem more likeable than most you’d find at the trail centre on the weekend. That and gee’s raising awareness of prostate cancer by doing a photo campaign 😯 I’m sold. (Would post a link but feel it would start a war on the objectification of men/women. Either way it made me happy.)

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

When you lot all say that they’re trying too hard to be cool and gnarly what exactly is your ‘control’ for this measure?
    I mean, if someone like me, an average mountain biker and worse surfer, starts to try to convince everyone that I’m rad to the power then that makes me look like a dick, however, when you race bikes down massive hills and do events like the Red Bull Rampage for a living then surely you just ARE that gnarly? No need to act it up???

Personally I find The Atherton Project one of the most watchable mountain bike related vids.

canibearaindogtoo
    Free Member

richie, I don’t think they’re trying too hard, just not my cup of tea old bean. Their talent is without question and the riding parts are great, but when someone describes something as sick I tend to think of doctors. I am aware, though, that not everyone is as fick as me and i’m sure that the A’s are perfectly nice people however they are portrayed on tv.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

In next weeks issue of Heat magazine…

canibearaindogtoo
    Free Member

…tsy is going to provide us with a full and comprehensive list of approved stw discussion topics! 20p in all good newsagents.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

😆

Surely they just have a product / brand / image to sell to impressionable teens, but ultimately they’re professional athletes so will be every bit as cool as anyone who has to sort out every aspect of their lives to be at the top of their game?

Brown
    Free Member

Personally I find The Atherton Project one of the most watchable mountain bike related vids.

Definitely.

What I always like about the videos is that you see when things aren’t going well. When they’ve upset/frustrated/worried. Hardly trying to be ‘cool’ then. Seemed to be one of the first team videos around doing this too.

That and the fact that they always look like they’re having fun.

chakaping
    Free Member

They’re talented young athletes who’ve already won both the men’s and women world cup overalls and a world champs – and who happen to have picked up a few funny turns of phrase after mixing with the international elite in their sport.

You lot can be a bit too judgemental you know!

canibearaindogtoo
    Free Member

Pretty hard not to judge things though isn’t it? How do you know if you like it or not? I think it’s fairly reasonable to appreciate the achievements etc. but not the whole package. Top athletes, different demographic.

bikebouy
    Free Member

men’s and women world cup overalls

Like these..

DezB
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    In next weeks issue of Heat magazine…

TSY has saved me the trouble of typing. But I did anyway.
    Weirdos.

osteo1
    Free Member

I like them they are just in the sort of sport where everything is Gnarley, Rad etc look at the BMX’rs, Snowboarders and Skateboarders I think they are a bit worse to be honest!
    Rachel seems like a really genuine but increadibly driven person, Gee is just a great rider, Dan is the one I want to win something! amazing to start back Downhill after such a bad injury. Plus looking at it from a business perspective I have to respect how well they have done on that front, they’re gonna earn a whole lot of money for their sponsors – which is their job!!

canibearaindogtoo
    Free Member

Don’t hold back DezB, why do you think the Athertons are weirdos?

Or did you just post in a thread which holds no interest for you simply to isult everyone? Surely not…

barbus
    Free Member

Im not sure on any of them.

Probably playing to the crowd but agree the RAD STOKED bit does get on your nerves. Then again I dont suppose they (or their sponsors) are trying to play to the likes of me and most of STW. Its the kids that they target and Im sure they love em.!
    If I where their sponsors I would be signing them for as long as I could afford to.
    I will reserve judgement until one of them buys me a beer.

Is it me though or is there something about Rach?

scruff
    Free Member

barbus
    Free Member

Now Im Stoked.!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

She’s like the girl next door who turned out to be awesome 😀 Sometimes I wish I was 20 again 😆

For a bit of balance:

Gee, probably not safe for work!

chalkntrees
    Free Member

Personally I think they’re awesome. They’re basically living the dream, riding fast and having a blast. I don’t fall into the advertisement demographic, but regardless to this, I really enjoy the Atherton Project. It’s well shot, gives a good behind the scenes impression and their trainer never ceases to make me laugh. Add all that to the fact that we have UK representation on the world cup \ champ podiums, I say what’s not to like.

Lifer
    Free Member

I think Gee has his tongue firmly in his cheek a lot of the time in interviews etc.

Sodajim

all 3 very talented riders

stoked or rad, like skinny jeans should not be used seriouly by anyone over 17

and Rachel could make an old cyclist very happy

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘The Athertons’ is closed to new replies.