Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 190 total)
  • The Alps, Summer 2014 – Where are you going and why?
  • wallop

Following on from this thread where I sought inspiration for alpine adventures, I can state it’s now officially OK to start planning this year’s trip. 😈

Where are you going? Or where would you like to go?

We are currently contemplating a split fortnight – a week in Les Arcs and surrounding areas (our usual spot) followed by a week somewhere else. No idea where yet though!

JEngledow
    Free Member

My Brother-in-law is currently trying to sort our accommodation for a week of DH fun in Morzine 🙂

We had a year off last year so I’m really looking forward to it!

carlos
    Free Member

Sierra Nevada again this year. 😀

Why? – group decision, amazing natural riding, warm and dry, loved it last year. (No particular order)

Did the PPDS in 2012 which was great, had another 3 days of natural riding although it pee’d down for two of those

Roll on June, Woo Hoo 😛

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The white room.

We’re going back as they have a much nicer chalet now than in 2009 when we went first, epic riding around StFoy, great food last time we went, free beer and wine.

Superb guiding too.

weeksy

Morzine, PDS, why, well, it’s great!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Broken knee meant no Alps trip in 2013 so plan is to reschedule the Chamonix/Verbier trip for 2014 to include an overnight hut stay. Did a day in each place in 2012 and need to get back to do it justice.

Also hoping to add a week’s guided riding with either Trail Addiction (who I did Destination X with in 2012) or White Room (who I skied with in 2012) and if I can some riding around Jura with Metabief Enduro in May.

mrhoppy

White room again, a little later than last year to try to avoid the snow and get up to the really good stuff.

jeffm
    Free Member

Not the Alps, but heading to California. Lake Tahoe, Mammoth mountain etc….

superfli
    Free Member

Alpe D’Huez for Mega 🙂 On my bucket list of things to do

chris36860
    Free Member

Going back to Sameon ( near Morzine ) with Bike Alp again Been the past 2 years and amazing riding. Sameon is full of beautiful natural stuff and Morzine and Les Getz are just over the ridge if you want to go.

mattbilliard
    Free Member

PDS for me 4th year, can’t wait. Why, it,s great fun even when it’s freezing cold like last year on the Saturday

godzilla
    Free Member

White Room 5-12 July.

BoardinBob

2 weeks in Morzine. I love the place

Candodavid
    Free Member

Not the Alps…back to Sierra Nevada with Ciclo Montana, so many more dry trails to ride

l0key
    Free Member

Tignes/Les Arcs and if we survive onto AdH for the Mega, gotta finish it this year, not letting a rib stop me this year.

Dave
    Free Member

Somewhere in Austria…

billysugger
    Free Member

Aosta then south this year

Tracey

Two weeks with Bike Verbier again. Cant wait I know its going to be great.

wallop

Somewhere in Austria…

Tell me more… any ideas yet? I fancy Austria but don’t know where to start.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Not sure yet but I’m thinking of going with White Room too.
    For those of you who have been, would you recommend it for an Alps first-timer? I’m a bit worried about being a bit slow/unskilled!
    Have been riding for years but I’m not the bravest or the quickest, although I have good staying power, so to speak. Have done most of my riding in the Surrey Hills and Welsh trail centres.
    Also, I have a choice of two bikes – Soul with 120 forks
    Or a old style Cannondale Jekyll with 120 forks.
    What do you think? And cheers for any replies 🙂

Andy-R

Not the Alps, of course, but the Taygetos range in Greece – May-June and September-November.
    Natural stuff plus mule paths and footpaths, cheap beer and wine and all the comforts of home. 8)

hugh_b
    Free Member

@ the pilot…

You will be fine. I have been to Les Arcs for last 3 years, this will be my 4th in July but for 2 weeks this year.

Take a full sus if you can as it will be far more comfortable.

There is a real mix of stuff in Les Arcs/La Plagne, you will find plenty for all abilities.

mrhoppy

@ the pilot.

There is a range of difficulties in the trails and the guides are good at picking suitable trails for the whole group or managing the different standards. When they’re pointing straight the trails are generally not that hard it’s the switchbacks that I find need getting my head round. The STW Billy no mates tour mk2 is likely to going ahead in July again.

bren2709

No a Alps this year……… Doing Whistler instead 😆

bigjim

Bikevillage again 8)

JEngledow
    Free Member

Andy R, Where are you staying and are you riding on your own or with a guide? I noticed an advert for mountainbiking (I think as it was all in Greek) in Kardamili a few years ago and have fancied it ever since!

Dave
    Free Member

Tell me more… any ideas yet? I fancy Austria but don’t know where to start.

Not sure yet. Rode in Zillertal this year, we’ve been tempted by Achenkirch/Achensee area having passed it on our way further south…

ThePilot
    Free Member

Thanks for the info hugh_b and mrhoppy. I guess there’s only one way to find out if the Alps are for me or not! The STW Billy no mates tour mk2 sounds good too, I’ll keep an eye out on here 🙂

cardo

Hopefully Rivierabike in and around Molini…

Leku
    Free Member

Bike Village in July.

andymc06
    Free Member

White Room 5th -12th of July with two of my brothers and 3 other mates. See you there godzilla. Should be awesome 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

White Room for the fourth time. Just cos it’s awesomeness.

jamj1974

Morzine for my brothers wedding then leaving the alps for Lake Garda. Anyone been riding around there?

andymc06
    Free Member

doubledunter
    Free Member

2nd year in a row to Molini with rivierabike ..

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Whistler thank god, upto here with PDS.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@pilot you’ll never know till you go ! To be honest you’ll get the most out the Alps on a FS with 140-160 travel and good brakes (you can rent), a week there on a guided holiday with uplift covering big mileage will be tough on a HT. Do you ride the steeper stuff off South side of Pitch for example, how about Deliverence on Leith ? It’s nothing to compare with Alps but it’s a start.

godzilla
    Free Member

Awesome! See you there Andy.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Talk amongst my group of friends is Sauze D’oulx or Finale Ligure later in the year.
    Not heard much about Sauze, basing it on one friends review and some youtube vids, does sound great though.
    Finale would be october time.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Got a few days in ADH for the Mega, toyed with a week somewhere else, but we’re doing 2 weeks in Whistler instead.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 190 total)

The topic ‘The Alps, Summer 2014 – Where are you going and why?’ is closed to new replies.