Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The 601 light has landed
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Arrived this morning – a Luminous 601 Pro in black with 5.2mAh battery and the latest lens/circuitry (three modes, slightly tighter beam spread, etc) – almost a 601.5.

It’s hard to emphasise how high the quality is on this light – the best connectors, lens, seals, etc.

Charging up ready to set the Cornish countryside on fire later tonight…!

Lum is a top bloke to deal with too.

http://www.luminouslights.co.uk/601.html

yetiguy
    Free Member

if the battery was incorporated into the unit, i would get one.

Enjoy your ride tonight matey, how many lumens?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Should be 1800-2000ish. Plenty!

try5
    Free Member

um

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

um?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Surf-mat,

Hi,I am after a new light,Any chance of having a look at your new Luminous.

Email in profile

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nic – are you after pics? Happy to take some.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A few pics here – just weighed the whole lot (battery pack and light) – bearing in mind I have the large 5.2mAh battery pack (you can get half) – 620 grams. So not super light but perfectly useable.

Now needs a double click to switch it on – prevents accidental switching on and then overheating – brilliant. Three modes of brightness now with the highest being around 1800-2000 lumens – it’s VERY bright and the light is completely evenly spread. 6 x XPG LEDs definitely kick out some lumens!

Battery life should now be 3-4 hours on max, much much more on medium, forever on low.

One thing that really stands out is the battery connectors – absolutely top end quality stuff. The whole thing feels better made than anything I’ve seen from Lupine and other pricier brands:

Will try and get some beam shots later on – needless to say, this light is very very bright – been trialling one for almost three weeks – the slightly older two mode version.

trout
    Free Member

Nice work Lumi you will have fun with that Matt.

Chris-S
    Free Member

So how much is a 601?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Chris – not sure if prices are official but around £300 with some of last years available at a reduced price.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Nic – are you after pics? Happy to take some.

I would like a side to side by side comparison to my 1000 lumen 😉 led light.Any chance of a meet up.

Where in sunny Cornwall do you live? I am in Redruth

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nic – Malpas Village just outside Truro – welcome to pop over. Alternatively me and a mate do a night ride starting at Devoren every Thursday from 8am. Usually do about 28km around Bissoe/Chacewater/Unity Woods.

Got some (very cr4p!) beam shots:

Fenix TK11 R5 – 285 lumens:

601 Low

601 Medium

601 High

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nic – can’t seem to find your email.
    I’m on polzeyboy AT hotmail DOT com

First ride with the new set up – big battery is slightly harder to fit (under the bars rather than the stem) but it’s sits snugly. The light come with a remote switch lead which I might well use – just need to find the right switch! Very handy though.

The “low” mode is perfect for commuting.

Luminous
    Free Member

Hi.

I’ve just found this thread.

Hi Matt, glad you’re using the light already.

Bit surprized at the weight, head units only weigh 152g, so the rest of that weight must be in clamps, batteries, etc.
    😉

From the top then:

Yeti Guy.
    Light with internal battery will be coming. I’m just waiting for a few parts to be delilvered, then I’ll build one up.
    It will have 6 LEDs and on paper, the output for hi will be upto 1500 lumens, for about 2.5 hrs. 3 light levels, Maximum, normal, low.
    Weight should be between 400 and 450g.
    All constructed to usual standards.

Trout, Hi, thanks mate 😉

Chris S, prices should be on the website.

I’ve just finished the helmet light, about to take some pics and post them later, with beam shots to follow when it gets dark, etc.
    Did a run time test last night, got over 2.5 hrs from a little 7.5v 5.2Ah battery.
    1400 Paper lumens.

Cheers

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Lum – I must point out that this was using kitchen scales! Probably not the most accurate…

The light unit is light but the battery is the bulk of the weight. Not a problem for me – there are far heavier units packing much less light out there.

I haven’t done extensive multi light testing (and am a bit dubious of WMBs test – e.g. the “winner” has a full page ad just after the test…) but I am fairly confident that if you are okay with a separate battery (I can’t see the problem with one?!) then this is the best light you can buy anywhere.

Luminous
    Free Member

Surf-Mat.

I’m not too worried about the weight posted. My scales aren’t “calibrated” either.

🙂

Anyway, its winter now, and there’ll likely be as much weight or more in mud, on a bike.

😀

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Lum – Smudge quotes 340g for the battery unit, add your 152 to that and you only have 28g “spare” for the clamp (and possibly wires?)

Adam_85
    Free Member

I’m interested in seeing the helmet light and the one with the internal battery when you get them built up 🙂

Luminous
    Free Member

Adam_85.

Here, I’ve just updated the thread.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/helmet-light-1

Luminous
    Free Member

Surf-Mat.

Hope you don’t mind. I’ve just been to the woods and had a go at some beam shots including one for the 601.

Camera settings were:

WB – Day
    ISO – 200
    Aper – F8
    Exp – 2.5 sec
    Meter – centre spot

Model 601 on Maximum

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Lum – I just snapped a few shots with a compact. Results poor. Yours looks much better!

Luminous
    Free Member

Surf-Mat.

I just took snaps of all the lights last night, and thought I’d throw one up here.
    🙂

radirpok
    Free Member

Some basic questions:
    what’s the beam like? Compared to other “well-known” lights out there. Is it more of a flood, or more of a spot? What’s the beam pattern quality like (hotspots, artifacts…)?
    How about a remote control for the handlebar?
    Cost is really just 300-350 pounds? Sounds like a bargain… or too good to be true?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Radir – I used mine “properly” last night (had used the loan light until then) using a bigger 5.2mAh battery and riding 16 miles of almost all pretty severe terrain.

The beam is extremely effective – no “dark spots” that I can notice and a very good mix of flood and beam – field of vision is wide but you can see clearly for at least 30 metres ahead. Lum’s beamshot above gives a good idea although I reckon you can set it a bit higher if needed.

It’s totally waterproof, comes with a good mount and with the bigger battery, 3 hours on full beam is no problem. Mid beam is still very bright, low is more for commuting.

You can have battery shape options – mine’s “long” and slips under the bars. You can also have “fat” to go under the stem or a bottle battery.

Everything is top quality – from the housing, lens and connectors to the battery pack bag.

They come with a remote control lead – Lum is just making some prototype switches. I’m having one as soon as they are out.

Anyway I’m impressed and reckon it’s well worth the money.

Website is at:

http://www.luminouslights.co.uk

radirpok
    Free Member

Thanks Surf, you made me really curious. I’ll just contact Luminous and see what options are available at the moment…

One final question: does it use XPG or XPE leds?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

XPGs

Luminous
    Free Member

Remote switch is with the Engineering company, so as soon as they finish machining them, they’ll be anodized, assembled and up for sale.

The remote switch will be compatible with all the lights in the range.
    🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘The 601 light has landed’ is closed to new replies.