Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • That's why it's called labour
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Mrs Q is in the throws of labour, has been since Sunday when it first started.
    Went to the hospital twice yesterday, once for a progress check, 1cm external none internal. Second time because she was sobbing her heart out after the fourth night without any proper sleep.

Strange situation to be in not being able to really do anything. Mum and Dad came down from the borders to help out, we couldn’t have managed without them, both of us suffering from lack of sleep.

NO idea how far along she is now, it all slowed down, but she is riding it out better just now so will be keeping her positive as possible.

Doesn’t help her friends calling all the time with their horror stories. Already told one of them to forget about calling again, may have to appologise later, but if she told mrs q anymore of her traumatic late birth I would have lost it completely.

Back to the back rubbing.

Thankfully Modafanil takes the edge of the fatigue for me.

One tired, Q off for more massage and pleasant talk

kimbers

ours was a long stressful delivery, exactly the kind of horros story you mention
    but it all works out in the end 5months on kimbers jnr is the bestest thing in the whole world

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Wait till the proper labour starts then you and the Mrs will know about it. All this so far is just practice 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Make sure you get a good blast on the gas – its laughing gas remember

Otherwise good luck to Mrs Quirrel

Xylene
    Free Member

Wait till the proper labour starts then you and the Mrs will know about it. All this so far is just practice

At least then there is an end in sight at that point. Just now she has got nothing.

fadda

Not really much help but, remember “this, too, will end…”

You’re doing what you can, and that’s all you can do for now. It will be worth it in the end, promise. We had something similar, and Mrs fadda was talking about having more kids whilst still in the birthing room!

Good luck and best wishes to all of you.

Xylene
    Free Member

Cheers.

Diane
    Free Member

Oh poor Mrs Q – she must be worn out.Don’t worry it isn’t always that bad.The back rubbing is very important – keep up the good work and try not to let her see how worried you are.

traildog
    Free Member

Went through it all last year. The bit where the baby pops out turned out to be the easiest bit and the wife remembers nothing of that. Leading up to that point was an epic journey though…
    The secret is to keep her stress free. It’s all about Oxytocin, so plenty of loving, kissing, rubbing, massaging and general chilling out together.
    🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Chilling out? In a hospital?

neallyman
    Free Member

”Gulp”. 6 weeks to go until Mrs Neallyman’s due…

yossarian
    Free Member

It seems like a huge unclimable mountain just now but it’s a few days out if a lifetime. Yes it will be a bit crazy but you’ll both deal with it and have a brilliant new addition to your family as well.

Be as chilled as you can, be there whenever your wife needs you (and out of the way when she doesn’t), smile and enjoy it.

All the best

Peyote
    Free Member

The really annoying part of all the whole giving birth thing is that when you explain to folk after it’s all happened how long it took, four days in the Mr Peyote’s case, you can guarantee that some trained medic (nurse, midwife, doctor or whoever) will turn around and say “That’s impossible. Labour cannot last that long”. They’re probably right from a clinical point of view (all due to dilation distances and the ilk), but from my POV she was doing the really hard work for a good few days before that!

Got another one on the go, due July, so I guess I should probably start practicing standing round like a lemon, making sympathetic noises & actions and generally being told what to do by all the hospital staff. Quite unnerving how impotent it is being the partner of a women in the throes of Labour!

Anyway, all the best to Mrs Q and you, it’ll all be a distant memory shortly!

Junkyard
    Free Member

sends positive vibes mainly to your missus

Xylene
    Free Member

She was admitted to the Ante-natal ward tonight to get some rest. After all the time so far with no sleep, the MAU decided that the best hing for her was to spend at least one night in the ante-natal ward.
    She is quite happy but a little scared, I’m quite happy, but a little worried as well, but a decent nights sleep for both of us will help a lot.
    Mum gave me a couple of hours break this evening to catch some kip. I managed about 40 minutes, when she woke me to tell me we should take mrs q to hospital I couldn’t process what she was saying. stumbled downstairs and saw mrs q and dad sat at the kitchen table. MrsQ looking at me. I could not for the life of me work out what was going on. Nothing was happening, it didn’t fit in with what I had been dreaming about seconds before, and just seemed off.
    So sorting my head out is a must as well.

Incidently, the first mentioning of this being a big baby occured tonight. Mrs Q is slight of frame and 4 foot 11 or so. Weighed in at 65kg started pregnancy at 52kg. God help her.

yossarian
    Free Member

Get your head down fella 🙂

scaredypants

Get your head down fella

sound advice for the baby too !
    Best of luck quirrell

spacemonkey

To Quirrel and whoever else is going into labour soon, check out TENS dual channel machines.

Highly recommended by our NHS friends (and a couple of close friends) so I got one for the missus last year. She honestly doesn’t know how she’d have got through the whole labour episode without it. So for the sake of £30 or so, it has to be worth a punt at least.

Trampus
    Free Member

As a 7 time father I would like to say MTFU and get a night ride in while you can!
    Your wife has been admitted so that BOTH of you will be rested.
    In reality, she will get little rest on a busy maternity ward.
    Telling her about that beautiful full moonlit singletrack descent probably won’t earn you any brownie points.
    It may be wiser to disconnect from the internerd and get some sleep.

Best wishes to you all! 🙂

Sandwich

Kimbers, when does he graduate to Bombers?

bruneep

She was admitted to the Ante-natal ward tonight to get some rest. After all the time so far with no sleep

why would she get “some rest” at the hospital and not at home?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Has she not dropped yet??

I’d be getting her round to the local accupunterist. Mrs FD went to this when she was getting fed up of the late stages of pregnancy and sure enough it started everything moving good and proper.

As above not sure why your Mrs will get more sleep in hospital, its usually a good place to get LESS sleep.

How come your parents need to give you a bit of rest? Whats there to do as a bloke whilst your waiting for the Mrs to drop?? Would seam like your wife has beeen having Branston Pickles which can last for days, weeks! Both of you just chill, and try to relax a little (yes I know not easy) but the last thing your Mrs needs now is to be stressed, or have you stressed.

Do some DIY or build some thing or go kill some animal and bring back to the house to cook for the Mrs. All cave man type instinct/behaviour type stuff that preganancy appears to bring out in men. 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

why would she get “some rest” at the hospital and not at home?

One person in the ward. Quiet, and access to pain medication.

wrote a rude reply to dunk there then realised probably read his post through tired, pissed off and stressed out eyes rather than normal so deleted it.

Mrs Q is at a tough point, because she is exhausted and labour hasn’t been established yet she has a couple of options

1, slightly stronger pain meds and keep the walking up, eventually things will progress – when though is an answer nobody has.
    2. be given something to help her sleep, which will at least allow her to recharge, but may cause a backwards step in the whole labour process.
    3. Be induced on Sunday anyway – which is when the date has now been changed rather than Thursday which was 17 days late.
    4. Nowt really.

bullheart
    Free Member

Best of luck to the both of you.

Markie
    Free Member

Having been in somewhat the same position, we went for option 1, followed by option 3 when things didn’t progress. I say we did, actually Mrs M did and I followed option 4 throughout (well, not quite nowt – on the third day we were in there I was told off by a midwife for sleeping on my wife’s hospital bed while she dozed in a chair!).

FWLIW, I know it feels like every choice matters at the moment (well, it did to me), but with reflection I think it’s really a case of all’s well that ends well.

Best wishes to you both!

Xylene
    Free Member

Lily born 7lb 11oz

Emergency caesarian after adverse affect to contraction medicine. Everything OK she is being watched overnight in care unit.

I’m a dad now. Bloody Hell

kerv
    Free Member

Congratulations!

wrightyson
    Free Member

May I be the second to say congratulations!! Back off to kiP now, before the sun comes up and I go for a ride straight from the tent door!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ps get your dad head on fast as you’re gonna be busy due to the c section!!!

duckman

Same scare and eventual outcome with Mrs Duckman,apart from it being a boy,missed being able to post.Congratulations,second the dad head thing after the section.

samuri
    Free Member

The best thing about the birth is that you can leave the room.

fadda

Many congratulations, Dad!

Drac

Congratulations!

you can guarantee that some trained medic (nurse, midwife, doctor or whoever) will turn around and say “That’s impossible. Labour cannot last that long”.

😉

Diane
    Free Member

🙂

Markie
    Free Member

Ace news! 😀

kimbers

congrats to all 3 of you

Tiboy

congratulations both! our first was born on the 11th! I really hope MrsQ recovers well from the C-section to enjoy the first few weeks with Lily, and hope you enjoy it too, it’s all been a blur to me!

Feel free to email if you want to chat to someone who’s been their recently! even if it’s just to get frustrations of screaming baby off your chest if MrsQ isn’t up to it. 😀

neallyman
    Free Member

Congratulations Quirrel (& Mrs Quirrel!).

Hairychested
    Free Member

Congratulations, Mrs Quirrel!
    Kimbers, you gave your child old forks!? Skimping on proper new toys, are we? Go and buy some new 36’s for the young’un to play with!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Congratulations 🙂 Our first is due in about 4 weeks, so am a little nervous about complications and I hate the idea of seeing my wife in pain yet having to act as though all is fine. Ours will have a very similar name to yours btw, so I consider you to have impeccable taste 😆 Ah and apparently all the hard work is still to come. My mum said that, but what does she know about it all eh?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘That's why it's called labour’ is closed to new replies.