Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Tesco pan 'bargains'?
  • Cougar

So,

Tesco have an offer at the moment where you collect ten tokens and get 70% off the price of a choice of pans from this range – http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1999446$3978835.aspx So you get, for example, a seventy quid wok for 20 sovs.

Question is, does anyone have any experience with this brand? Is it an actual bargain, or are they just selling 20 quid pans marked up to 70 so that they can massively discount them again? Would I be better off just getting a Tefal frying pan (or even Tesco’s own ‘professional’ cookware range)?

Cheers.

Jamie
    Free Member

Cougar.

It’s Saturday night.

You’re pan shopping on Tescos’ website.

Have a word with yourself 😉

Taff
    Free Member

Haha. They look reasonable but not £70 worth!!

stevehine

Buy a decent pan – Try Bourgeat non stick alu ones from Alliance Online; they are 15-20 quid depending on size and are by far the best frying pans we’ve ever had 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

….but if we are to have Saturday night pan chat, then I would imagine these are Tesco own stuff with inflated RRPs. Just stick to known brands.

Kiril
    Free Member

We’ve got some and Mrs Kiril was happy, that may have more to do with the quality of the pans they replaced

Kevevs
    Free Member

lmao at Jamie.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sainsburys were selling Tefal pans at half price. This was in-store on a weekday afternoon a week or so ago. Hopefully that passes Jamie’s when-you’re-allowed-to-buy-pans test. 😀 I picked up a very nice sauté pan for £14.

You go Cougar. 😉

Cougar

Have a word with yourself

Good point, well made.

TBH, I’ve been meaning to ask for a couple of days and kept forgetting.

Buy a decent pan

… that’s the idea!

We’ve got some and Mrs Kiril was happy, that may have more to do with the quality of the pans they replaced

Well, this. I need, specifically, a new wok and a new frying pan. I’m sick to death of buying woks, and not cheap ones, only to have them die in a couple of years.

scarmtb
    Free Member

First post ever on singletrack forum and its for pans…..one word (well 2 actually) Green Pan…unbelievable non stick pans and woks

These work so well you will tell someone…just like i have 🙂

http://www.green-pan.com/

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How do woks die?

scarmtb
    Free Member

They get shot by storm troopers…..oh thats ewoks. sorry!

Cougar

I don’t know about your first ever post, but your second one’s a belter.

kevin1911

They wok the plank. Sorry.

scarmtb
    Free Member

If you like that, just wait till you try a green pan!

mogrim

How do woks die?

They simply stop woking.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

They get smuggled.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hopefully that passes Jamie’s when-you’re-allowed-to-buy-pans test

I will get back to you on that, as Man U game has finished and now I am off out.*

*Pan shopping.

scaredypants

WTF is a SEVENTY quid wok ?? 😯

Kevevs
    Free Member

oh dear. well, I think Pans Are Good and a positive, useful contribution to society.

iDave
    Free Member

TKMAX for all your quality culinary bargains*

*posted by machine as iDave is out having an exciting non-tragic Jamie endorsed Saturday night wild lifestyle experience

scarmtb
    Free Member

WTF is a SEVENTY quid wok ??

Expensive!!

mogrim

WTF is a SEVENTY quid wok ??

It’s a 20 quid wok before discounting.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’ve got a kronenbourg, a pizza and an unsettled dog.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Not sure where in the world you are but got a lovely Berndes pan from a local bargain shop called Buyology, I think they have a bit of a chain though.

Cheapest I could find the pan was £60 online and they’re selling them for £11, it’s not massive but awesome quality, they had the smaller ones too.

http://skillet.berndes-cookware.com/Tradition-Skillet-10-inch-plu671024.html

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

Sainsbury have just launched a Jamie Oliver Cast iron range of pans, £30 each but worth every penny.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I bought the Tesco “special” 4.7 litre stock pot using my discount vouchers a couple of weeks back. Its pretty good quality for £20, but theres no way I would have paid the RRP of £60 for it, I’d maybe have stretched to £35 – £40 for it though. 😀

scaredypants

I’ve got a kronenbourg, a pizza and an unsettled dog.

yeah, pizza makes me randy too

robob
    Free Member

We’ve had the big stockpot and the frying pan. Very happy with them so far. Def worth the discounted price, maybe not the full rrp but but then what is these days.

Milt
    Free Member

Frankenstein
    Free Member

LOL@Jamie 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

Sainsbury have just launched a Jamie Oliver Cast iron range of pans, £30 each but worth every penny.

Crikey! Not only is he a cheeky chef, TV star, and nemesis of the turkey twizzler, but now he’s become a metallurgist and foundrymaster. Is there no limit to the man’s skills?

sweepy
    Free Member

I used to use le crueset cast iron pans, problem is they’re a pan for life that you wont be able to lift towards the end.
    Replaced some years ago with the tesco finest SS/copper bottomed ones and they are the best pans Ive ever used.

Coyote
    Free Member

Tesco “finest” copper bottomed non-stick frying pan was a load of bloody rubbish. Would never consider buying one again.

donsimon
    Free Member

I used to use le crueset cast iron pans, problem is they’re a pan for life that you wont be able to lift towards the end.

Had the pleasure of using one of these this morning. While they might be expensive to buy, I think they’ll ultimately be cost effective as I’ll be able to cancel the gym subscription. 💡

sweepy
    Free Member

I didnt get the frying pan cos I wont use non stick. But as far as the saucepans go they are as good today as the day i got them, which has to be 6 years ago.

Cougar

I wont use non stick

Why, out of interest?

How do woks die?

I’ve had several, ah, ‘carbon steel’ I think. In each case, the black coating wears out and then the pan rusts. That’s despite only using wooden or plastic utensils.

I’ve used stainless steel ones, but I could never get the hang of the ‘seasoning’ thing.

sweepy
    Free Member

Partly cos of a possibly unfounded worry about the chemicals, Mainly cos I knacker them with metal utensils, also unneccesary.
    With a carbon steel wok the black coating is the seasoning, just wipe out with hot water and then wipe with a touch of oil. with a stainless you dont season, just clean normally.

emsz
    Free Member

Cougar, some of the Tesco ones I’ve bought the non stick lining has come off. They were the cheaper ones to be fair, but I wouldn’t buy them again.

*emsz-bot posting on Sunday night as emsz recovers from drinking at frankly debauched Sat night wedding reception*

junior
    Free Member

I have a lecreuset wok, Quite good!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Tesco pan 'bargains'?’ is closed to new replies.