Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tendonitis and tight hamstrings help needed
  • ridethelakes
    Free Member

I’ve got mild tendonitis on my left leg and really tight hamstrings and thought its about time I got it sorted.

Had the tendonitis for about 3 or 4 years and remember when it happend, I hadn’t really warmed up yet and ran up a steep hike a bike section and put my heel down stretching my calf. I know my hamstrings are too tight, can only get about 6 inches away from my toes at best so this is probably the root cause.

So assuming that I just need to do loads of stretching, how often do i need to do it? Every day, twice daily, more? And if I’m at my desk how do I warm up to do the stretching? Is stretching when cold ok as long as you’re careful? Will I really get to the stage where I can touch my toes eventually?

Thanks in advance!

crikey
    Free Member

After 3 or 4 years it’s likely to be a proper mechanical problem rather than just tendonitis which describes the inflammation/irritation of the tendon.

I’d be looking at gentle stretches at the beginning and end ofthe day, concentrating on stretching your achilles, your calves, your hamstrings, your buttocks/lower back and your back as a whole.

StirlingCrispin

Get yourself to a sports massage therapist.
    They’ll punch you repeatedly in the stomach – stretching your inner stomach muscles in the process. These tighten from bike riding and cause the hamstrings to tighten and then the tendons are strained. Or something.

Take a pillow to bite – it hurts!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nicko74

And stretch every morning when you get up, and every night before you go to bed. It may not resolve the underlying problem, but in the midterm (say over a month or so) you should notice slightly looser muscles

aviemoron
    Free Member

I’ve had hamstring issues since getting back into running. I gently stretch three times a day regardless of exercise / work and elevate / ice every evening after run.
    Easy on the stretching if it’s an actual “mechanical” injury though, as that might just be making things worse.
    I use a very good sports physio who causes me great pain during massages (don’t cry out loud) but has helped me no end.
    Two months into running and the hamstrings are finally getting the message!

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Mmm now more confused!

My hamstrings are definitely too tight so will go with the stretching but maybe need to get my achillees checked out.

stumpy01

Have you considered some kind of yoga/stretching class? The gym I used to be a member of does a class called ‘dynamic stretch’ and it’s basically yoga, but more aimed at stretching out the muscles, than relaxation.

I found it worked wonders for me. Since leaving the gym in Jan, I have noticed a gradual return to my un-flexible days.

It sounds like it’s probably worth going along to a physio and getting a bit of a check over done. They can then advise you on a range of stretches/exercises to do to sort out all of your niggles. They should also notice any major issues that need attention.

PhilChap

You can’t beat seeing a real life Physio Stu, especially for your long term injury. Close to home I recommend The Body Rehab at Staveley or a little further afield there’s Sioelanwho you may be familiar with.

Or you could just MTFU 😛

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Good idea Stumpy, cheers for that.

Cheers for the links Phil, hadn’t heard of that place in Staveley, looks pretty good so will give it a whirl. Sioelan lives a bit far away otherwise would give her a call.

Cheers all for the replies.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tendonitis and tight hamstrings help needed’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts