Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tennis elbow
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Not sure how I picked this up, but it’s proving to be a right pain in the, erm, arm

Anybody else suffered from this and what did you do to ease the pain/cure yourself?

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

you need to rest it until it feels strong again and make sure you don’t strain it. if you hurt it again put ice on it asap. if it’s really bad you could trygoingto a physio. it’s an annoying one. i had a similar type of injury in my shoulder in january and i didn’t rest it enough. now it keeps re-occurring

Boardstupid
    Free Member

I used to get this often due to playing squash, cortisone injection in the elbow would cure the pain try resting it first though.

Mr_C
    Free Member

I’ve had this in both arms in the last few years. The first time it was cured with physio in about 6 sessions. The second time, despite many visits, physio was unable to do anything. I ended up just resting the arm (no heavy lifting etc) as much as possible for about six months whilst icing it twice a day and wearing a tennis elbow strap along with doing the exercises shown me ny the physio. It took a while but is all good now.

Get yourself a gel ice pack like this and a strap such as this.. And Google tennis elbow exercises.

Have you been to your GP? If not go and get professional advice and maybe a physio referral.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

or…

have an aggressive massage – percusive type massage – to really hurt the muscle (and you), then let it recover and then try a powerball, but using it slower than max as a therapeutic exercise.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

A lot of tennis elbow type symptoms arise from neck injuries. If you have no idea what caused your tennis elbow you might want to rule out a neck injury first.

Mr_C
    Free Member

or…

have an aggressive massage – percusive type massage – to really hurt the muscle (and you), then let it recover and then try a powerball, but using it slower than max as a therapeutic exercise.

Which muscle would that be. What with tennis elbow being a tendon problem I’m not too sure how ‘hurting’ some random muscle would help.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Percussive massage is used to increase tone in a muscle, so is pretty much the last thing you’d want to do to get one to relax.

rangerbill

I use a tubigrip(?) and ibuprofen gel when mine get bad. Mine got a lot worse when I changed to a wider bar!

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

I cured my tennis elbow with a 15 quid magnet bracelet, that I bought from wiggle! No bull it went away over night, after years of aggro, physic, ice packs, ibruprofen the lot.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

A lot of tennis elbow type symptoms arise from neck injuries. If you have no idea what caused your tennis elbow you might want to rule out a neck injury first.

Err… Evidence please…. And how do you rule out neck injury in the absence of recent trauma? 😉

cozz
    Free Member

ive got it at the mo

about 3 months now

from trimming using scissors, i get it and a shooting pain up my arm

had is diagnosed at physio about 3 weeks ago – got a epicondular clasp – hich helps a lot, as i cant rest it much due to work

its not too bad on the mountian bike with h bars on – but worst on road bike when out the saddle

Davesport

My work involves a lot of manual labouring & I get this from time to time. It’s generaly at its worst during down time when there’s not much work. My own method of curing this is to go to the gym ! I hit the weights & suffer for a week or two then the pain begins to subside. From not being able to wield the hatchet for chopping firewood I’m now free of pain. I take some protien & a bit of creatine to help things along 🙂

D.

tonyplym
    Free Member

One of these helped when I suffered a while back.

Bream
    Free Member

This rehab guide helped me a lot, I get tennis elbow badly once every few years, I follow this guide to get it back to normal asap:
    HERE

I find this type of arm support works best:

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Which muscle would that be. What with tennis elbow being a tendon problem I’m not too sure how ‘hurting’ some random muscle would help

think it was some advice on this forum a while ago from a forum member.

having said that I have had problems with my forearm which would probably be diagnosed as tennis elbow and have just had some massage of the type described – the muscle was very ‘knotted’ and now it is a lot better. I can now shake hands with someone without flinching, whcih I couldn’t before.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Thanks all, quite a bit to go on there. I’ve got one of those straps and it seems to help.

It’s fine on the bike, but weirdly it’s hurting now as I type. This could make things difficult!

Beagleboy

Dunno if it was Tennis Elbow per se, but I struggled with an injury to my right elbow for a long time. It manifested itself as a continuous dull ache in the outside of my elbow rising to a sharp pain whenever I lifted anything.

I had a lingering suspicion that it was to do with bike setup as I seemed to be worse after riding Victoria, my hardtail whilst riding Josephine, my full susser didn’t result in the same level of discomfort. The most recent change I’d made to Victoria was to fit an Easton handlbar, which was more bling than what’d previously been fitted, but crucially, was also a fair bit narrower.

So, I went back to the wider bars, and almost immediately I felt a reduction in the pain from my elbow. Just goes to show, eh? 8)

Beagy 😀

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I think that your problems are probably a result of you giving your bikes names!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tennis elbow’ is closed to new replies.