Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tempted by Sx Trail an Wotans – Experiences?
  • oliverd1981
    Free Member

So one of my Local(ish) shops has a great deal on a new SX Trail Frame and a pair of Wotans.

I’ve been looking to replace the frame on my 2006 big hit with something the right size (it’s an M and I’m 6’3″) and maybe a bit lighter. The build kit would suit the SX pretty well as there are a fair few nice / light for DH components on there.

The Wotans should be fine on the SX trail right? They’ll replace my 888’s which to be fair are just far too much weight for me.

So my questions are

How do the Wotans fair for longevity?
    How does the sizing on an XL Sx Trail come up?

anything else to consider?

robholland
    Free Member

How Tall are you ? i had a large sx and i’m 6ft 2 and wouldn’t go any bigger. What year is it ?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

it’s an 07 and they only have XL.

I’m pretty much the same height as you. I preferred the sensation of riding “in” the large DHI that I had, but that could be a characteristic of that bike. 63mm longer in the top tube than my current slightly cramped cockpit – would that feel like too much?

Ewan
    Free Member

Wotan’s are good, but I would say you need to service them. They work very well tho if they get their yearly service – you’ll know when they need it…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Can’t be more service hungry than fox 36’s

Ewan
    Free Member

No that’s true – once a year and you’re good to go. And the stanchions don’t wear away…. Very plush.

Dango
    Free Member

I had an 08 SX for a while, pretty nice with Vans up front, tried my spare (at the time) 888’s and it handled really bad even with them set at 180mm travel (ATA), the lowers were very long so the C2A was too much, I fitted Totems in the end and it was a peach, not quite a DH bike, but massively better than when it had the Vans

I’m 6’1″ and it was a large, I’ve seen an XL before and it looked like a gate. Dont know much about Wotans but I’d check the crown to axle length as it can make a difference

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’m not going to be able to go and see it for about a week and a half so I’m worried it will go/ but then I’m kind of worried about the size too. Who the heck is it for if it’s that big? the only other bugbear is it’s running a van-r and I know these struggle with aftermarket shocks

Dango
    Free Member

SX’s will be cheap as Spesh UK arent bringing them in for 2011, so you should be able to get a deal from another shop on a large if this one goes

What sort of money is this bike you’ve seen and how old is it?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

It’s a brand new 2007 frame £500 the Wotans are £400

I like the earlier models and I was considering paying nearly 400 for a used ’07 Enduro at one point. The new designs just don’t look right.

I can’t find anything else at a sensible price that really fits the bill

Dango
    Free Member

its a good price for new but a huge frame and like you mention, without the original shock (DHX4 or 5)

I bet you could get a mint used bike for £900 – £1000 there’s always a few on Pinkbike

robholland
    Free Member

I would say xl would be to big. I did DH in France in Morzine and les get on mine and would not want any bigger seat post is about 19 inch which is high for dh style riding. Plus if you are going to use it for smooth trails ok but bumpy rough stuff it was terrible, felt like i was on a xc bike hence i sold it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tempted by Sx Trail an Wotans – Experiences?’ is closed to new replies.