Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Telly compatibility – Techy question
  • jova54
    Free Member

A friend of Mrsjova is moving from France to UK and wants to bring her tv with her. Will it just require a change of mains plug and retuning to UK transmitters? I'm sure I'm right in thinking that France uses the PAL system like we do.

I'm sure I know the answer to this but getting confirmation is very important to this lady as the move is happening under very stressful circumstances.

Thanks

montylikesbeer

I think France uses SECAM-L, but this is being phased out in 2011.

So your friends TV will not work here now or later.

samuri
    Free Member

English TV's work in France (we took a flat screen over for a friend) so I assume the opposite is true. But really, unless the TV is very expensive would it not be easier to sell it there and buy another one here? If she's not into flat screens then good CRT's can be picked up for nothing, literally.

montylikesbeer

Sorry should have quantified this, unless your friends TV is capable of receiving PAL I signals then the answer is no

jova54
    Free Member

But really, unless the TV is very expensive would it not be easier to sell it there and buy another one here?

Telly is only a few months old and was not cheap apparently. She is over 80 and having to move back for family health reasons and needs the move to be as simple as possible.

montylikesbeer

post up the make and model and I'll check it out for you

jova54
    Free Member

post up the make and model and I'll check it out for you

Thanks for the offer mlb. All I know at present is that it's a Pioneer and was working on Orange(?) in France. If I can get any more info I'll let you know.

DrJ

This subject always mystifies me, but isn't there also an issue of whether you plug the telly into the wall to receive the Home Service, or use a satellite/cable box?

Also – aren't most new tellies multi-standard?

uplink
    Free Member

The TV should be multi-standard & work OK

If it is SECAM specific it will be obvious when you tune it in as all the pictures will be black & white
    The audio will also not be present as it sits at a different frequency to PAL transmissions

I still suspect it'll be multi-standard though

EDIT: one point worth noting though
    If it is multi-standard, when you switch it on it may need resetting to tell it to use UK settings [PAL, channel IDs etc.]
    This is usually done on the initial setup when you select the country of use, so just run that again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Telly compatibility – Techy question’ is closed to new replies.