Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Tell me about your Ti456………
  • the_lecht_rocks

…….tales of derring do ? happiness ? contentment ?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I ride mine harder than I rode my S-Works Enduro, down more technical descents too and probably faster, in my mind anyway.

Its Lish.

It had Fox 36 VAN R's on but its now got some Magura Thor's so its now loads lighter, just hoping it will be as mad as it was with the 36 Van's

It actually climbed well with the 160mm forks and I rarely had front wheel lift.

If you can afford it – justify it etc, buy one.

the_lecht_rocks

i have one – just looking for other happiness out there 🙂

markenduro
    Free Member

On my second one as had an issue with the rear dropouts which ended up requirning a new one on warranty which was sorted out without any hassle. Just started riding it again this week after using the 29er over winter, love it and had forgotten just how much fun it is to ride.

RRD
    Free Member

TLR

I'd prefer a Hummer… Much better I hear 😉

guitarhero
    Free Member

s'alright I suppose 😉

CHB

Mines still hung up as an unbuilt frame. Look at it often and its a thing of beauty (18" and blast flame graphics).
    Think I might get to build it up this year.
    Thinking Thors and XT. Want it nice an light.

br
    Free Member

I've had one a few months now, replaced a steel 456 frame.

TBH I'm not sure it rides any better than the steel one (which is one fine riding bike), but it does weigh far less.

Not a problem, just an observation.

stumpytrek
    Free Member

I am the proud owner of the first Ti456 mark 2! Building it up next week/weekend!!
    Very excited!

CHB

Now, is that the MKII Lynskey with the strut on the rear triangle, or do you mean the MKIII which is now built in the far east?

Picto
    Free Member

Like mine alot. Built up with 130mm Revs and lightish kit, does most types of trail well. Light enought to ride all day, sorted geometry to cope with as techy stuff as I ever want to do.

No doubt other bikes will do this too but the Ti456 is the one that is doing it for me.

stumpytrek
    Free Member

MkII from Far East. It's the preproduction sample. Got it in the clearance sale on one had a week or so ago. No strut. Different top tube. Have photo on phone I can post if anyone interested?

dirtypiere
    Free Member

Had mine for 2 yrs so, great as far as I can see or find out!

CHB

stumpy, please do mail. Address is in my profile.

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Not the best photos ever but here you go. The 'X' on the headtube came straight off!

and

Welds look very tidy. Can't wait to get it built up and ridden!

coogan
    Free Member

Wow. That looks like all the other On Ones on here. Awesome.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I'm very interested in the ti456, giving it careful thought, and very interested in the new far east biult ones. Keen to find the changes to the frame and what the price is (are they dropping the price a little or improving the frame a little). From the on-one website it looks like the far east production bikes get a new head tube, looks slightly tapered not externally butted (cosmetic change only?) and a smart looking engraved head badge. There is a suggestion it might also get tapered stays which should give a more compliant ride maybe. Stumpytrek, yours clearly has a stright top tube which I gues saves a bit of money….the old curved one for improved stand over seemed a little odd to me, is stand over really a problem with the frame without it? Any other changes that you can see?

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Differences I can see include:- The seatstays have a neater bullet end to them. There may be a mild tapering too but will have to have a close look tomorrow. I think the chainstays look less flared with an indent to help tyre clearance instead? If this is right the whole chainsuck/jam issue that On Ones can be blighted with should be easier. The steel 456s all have straight top tubes without any issue and I prefer that look personally.

I'm told the MkII frame is made by Van Nicholas.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Lynskey with the strut version here.

Guessing it's a mark 2 then? since there was a Lynskey without a strut version that suffered some "issues".

Mk3 must be Far Eastern – non Brant designed versions?

neilnevill
    Free Member

I think it's more
    Original lynskey = mk 1
    late lynskey (with strut) = mk 1.1
    stumpytrek's pre prod = mk 2.draft
    yet to arrive on these shores, the far eastern biult mk 2

Although the mk 2 is still the same geometry according to the on one site, so it's just minor tweaks to either iron out a small problem, make a tiny improvement or to make manufacture a little easier. I'm hoping it results in a hundred quid or so off the price but won't be surprised if it doesn't.

Van Nicholas don't make their own frames do they? I think it's Hi-Lite in China that make theirs but could be wrong on that.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I can tell you my frame is for sale! Love it rides great but does exactly the same as my Orange 5. i.e. goes up and down very well indeed. I'm looking for a more race orientated HT now rather than having 2 bikes that are good at the same sort of things. For example if I was at Afan on Whites Level it would be the On One if however I was going longer say Skyline it would be the 5. Or as in the past both Whites Level in the morning followed by Skyline after lunch!

jfb01
    Free Member

Hi LTR – love mine , xt & xtr build with fox 120 mm forks.The most comftable hardtail I have ever riden.Some of which may be down to using a 16" frame & being 5'10" , there is a lot of (titanium) seat post to flex.
    The bike loves twisty single track in this guise.
    I know yours has a hard life up there in Scotland , what build is it?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Ive got coil revs on mine at the moment but considering investing in a new fork to save some weight- what is the view on the optimum fork travel or should I push the boat out and get an adjustable fork.
    Quite like the look of the Magura's – anyone able to comment?
    Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had one.

Worst bike ever.

AndrewL

I was wondering about one too, be interesting to get an idea of price and roughly when they're due.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I had one.

I couldn't get on with it.

the_lecht_rocks

mine has 819's with 2.35 Fat Alberts.
    2010 FLOAT 32 140 RLC 15mm BT's.
    it's a wonderful singletrack blaster 🙂

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

It is a truly great frame but fugly as sin.

I loved my mk1 but it had to go, I was kidding myself that an 18" was big enough for my 6'3" frame so I traded it for a 29er.

neilnevill
    Free Member

More details on the new one!
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?p=21876

van Nichols made.
    tapered headtube with engraved splot
    swapouts (yes!)
    nice bullets on the chainstay and seatstay ends
    stright top tube
    more tapered chainstay?? with big dents for tyre clearance (is that any different to the present one)
    ICSG mount
    £799 and a pre0order price of £699!! I'm now waiting for pre-orders to open!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

That's the long travel 29er, not the 456??

neilnevill
    Free Member

pics of both, on the left the clown bike, on the right the 26inch wheeled.

billyboy
    Free Member

I'm pleased with mine, and not hankering after anything else.

I vaguely agree with the assertion that it's not too much different from the steel version although it does seem to pick up speed much quicker. On the minus side, it seems to have less tyre clearence. On the plus side, you can achieve a robust build at a more reasonable overall weight than you can with the steel.

I built a 303 XCAM before this and I got the build spot on first time round with that. It has taken a longtime for me to get the Ti456 to the point where I'm (more or less) totaly happy with it. I was counting the other day ……….three forks, one with a bolt thru upgrade thus four ish ….. five stems ……… four bars……. two seatposts…. three saddles… three bottom brackets…. three cranksets.

BUT even when I wasn't (more or less) happy with it………. I wasn't hankering after anything else either.

br
    Free Member

There is less chain-stay tyre room on the 456Ti than the steel version. But there also seems less vertical tyre room (at the beer can junction of the seat-stays) on either large frame than the others.

Upgrade/Change:
    Third fork, , Fox 36 and Reba 120mm pairing, settled on a Magura Thor
    Third stem, tried 100mm, then 80mm now 90mm EA90
    Third bars, Ritchey 680mm, Sunline V2 711mm and Easton DH carbon 711mm
    160/185/203 rotors tried, now 185's both ends

I'm still playing with tyres, having split two rears this week – think I must be riding harder so trying UST's (as I have some 819 rims).

Also very sensitive to seat-post height, I notice a few mill either way.

But am loving it, whether its built heavy (sub 27lb) for Afan/Peaks or built light (24lb) for XC racing.

druidh
    Free Member

neilnevill – Member
    More details on the new one!
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?p=21876

van Nichols made.

Given that Van Nicholas don't actually make their own frames, that'll be novel.

I suspect they're actually made in China by Hang Lun.

neilnevill
    Free Member

druid I agree, look at my post from 3 weeks ago in this thread. My words above were a quote from the site, reply 26 in the thread.

26.made by van nicholas

price maximum 799 , based on exchange rate of 1.5 usd to pound

we will have a preorder promo price of 699 for all preorders

warranty is 5 years but will check and confirm

i think the 29er might be slightly more expensive

Comment by dave — March 11, 2010 @ 10:26 pm

johnny63

TLR,
    was just thinking about this very thing the other day – fantastic bike – its the Lynskey with strut and running it wi Talas 32s, CK ISO hubs on Olympic rims with Nobby Nic UST, XT gearing / brakes, Hope ceramic BB, CK aheadset, Planet X 100mm stem & carbon bars / seatpost – it's taken me about a year to get the right combination but now its there, I absolutely love it, couldn't be happier

druidh
    Free Member

I should say – I don't think the fact they're made by Hang Lun is a bad thing. My wee ChiTi is going great guns – and at what was £360 (delivered) it's a bargain I doubt I'll ever better 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

mine hasn't been touched for quite a while………
    the Helius AM is getting it good guns momentarily 🙂
    a week soon coming up in Glentress however…………:)

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about your Ti456………’ is closed to new replies.