Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tell me about the Walna Scar Track
  • mlke
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a fair bit in the lakes but never had a crack at Walna Scar path. I’ve had a look at the map and it looks pretty tough, I was wondering how rideable it is(up or down)
    How it rates compared with other classic lakes routes?
    Any navigation issues?
    Which direction is best?

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware these days it’s a wheelchair motorway track, got resurfaced a couple of years ago.

I know that this was the case for the west side of the hill for definite around 8 years ago but couldn’t comment in current conditions, maybe the erosion has got the better of it and its a blast to ride down that side now (we rode up that side and it was bloody steep). As for the east side I thought it had the same fate only a few years ago?

martinhutch

More rideable from Coniston side, section of hike a bike/push in the upper half. It is starting to break up in places, so is not entirely un-fun in descent.

More pushing from the Seathwaite side, unless you are a riding God!

I would descend towards Coniston, personally, as you can do the other descent into Seathwaite which is pretty good as part of a round.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its largely unrideable up from seathswaite though the last bit is rideable if you are tough enough

the down had been sanitised but it was not all the way down and still made for a cracking descent about 2 years ago

Worth it IMHO

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I was extremely underwhelmed by the coniston side as a decent when we spent a weekend chasing Lakeland tech back in September 2014. I’d not personally bother with it again unless it was a means to something else better. The Seathwaite side was a beast of a climb, but as a descent, would be a pretty elementary tramline speed run.

richpips
    Free Member

From Coniston, easily doable on a CX bike heading up bar a couple of rocky bits.

Down to Seathwaite is steeper. All but the last bit will go on a CX bike.

boxelder

If you ride up through the quarries from Torver, to join it and climb the Coniston side, then veer left on the descent and head down the River Lickle BW towards Carter Ground etc, it makes a great ride out. The Wilson Arms in Torver will provide the icing for that particular cake.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Was gutted when they sanitised the Coniston side of Walna Scar, it was one of my favourite descents of the lakes 🙁
    As for a route, this one : https://app.strava.com/activities/131483393 is our usual route we do when up there.

scruff
    Free Member

Apart from a couple of rocky corners the Coniston side pretty devoid of excitement until you branch off either way from the lower section, but you can just trundle down from the top and look at the pretty view.

whitestone
    Free Member

The Seathwaite side is basically a steady climb with the exception of the couple of hundred metres below the midway gate (where the Stephenson Ground/Lickle valley BW comes in) and the last bend. Quite a bit of this side is now grass rather than rock/stone.

The Coniston side has one section that was resurfaced but is reverting to its old condition. The rough section is about the same as the lower part of Kentmere side of Garburn Pass but steeper. Once you are below that it’s no different to a forest fire road apart from the two rock gates which are very short and the main obstacle to quick progress will be the number of walkers.

rooster42
    Free Member

It’s ride-able for fit riders if you miss out the Seathwaite bottom bit and ride through the quarries from Natty Bridge, if you make the last off camber corner of loose rubble, then don’t give up and you’ll conquer the climb! Descent back to Torver, very bouldery / marbley suggest you fit a dual ply 2.5″ Minnion. As mentioned above descent from Brock Barrow to Seathwaite more fun.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’d go up the Seathwaite side of Walna Scar, it’s a tough climb and will require some pushing / carrying for all but the most skilled riders, but an excellent challenge if you like that sort of thing. The descent down to Coniston is still fun in my opinion and a long vertical drop. I rode it last summer with a local guy and we took an alternative route halfway down which headed off to the right, this bit was great. Sorry I couldn’t tell you from memory where that route goes though.

barney
    Free Member

It’s not the gnarfest that it once was for sure, but it’s still a hoot. Go Seathwaite to Coniston though. The other direction’s a drag.

Issue 90 Sneak Peek!

whitestone
    Free Member

@barney We did a ride similar last year but started at Blawith, over the common to Torver, up to Stephenson Ground, direct to Walna Scar track, over Walna Scar to coniston, in to Grizedale Forest, down Parkamoor back to Blawith.

martinhutch

over the common to Torver

Whitestone – is that the route up past Beacon? Tarn (cheeky). Or the BW past Woodland? Have wondered about the former, but it looks like it might be a tad boggy in places.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Shame to have my suspicions confirmed as walna scar road east side was my favourite descent in the lakes before they flattened it.

Hmmm now what ismy favourite now….? That’s a hard question!

whitestone
    Free Member

@martinhutch

It’s the legit way up the road and track towards Cockenskell then bridleways westwards to Green Moor, then North to Haveriggholme.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Having seen richpips on a cx bike I’m surprised to see him say the lower section isn’t rideable.

I think you should go try again rich. I reckon it is 😉

I often stay in a mountaineer hut on the dud on side of Walba so ride it fairly often. I always forget that the steepest bit (going from conisition) is the Tarmac road before you’ve even got to the gate. If you can ride that you’ll clean it :-/

As others have said. Not the most techy ride but great views and gets you up very high

Trekster

Do it both ways 💡
    Start Torver, up through mines, up East side down west side and left at gate to Stevenson ground and then Seathwaite. Up and over from west side 😆

The guys ^^^^^ there can fill the blanks in re trail names..

Good day out for us mere mortals but “boring” to the stw riding gods 🙄

mlke
    Free Member

Thanks peeps – it definitely sounds worth doing on a day I’m feeling fit.
    Will it be snow bound ATM ? Mind I’m probably not going to make it down ’til Easter

martinhutch

No snow yesterday. Did the dull bottom half yesterday after climbing from Torver, but the addition of some obvious cheek turning left from the car park before the tarmac adds in a short climb then a decent moderately-techy descent back down towards Coniston, avoiding losing all that lovely height on tarmac.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about the Walna Scar Track’ is closed to new replies.