Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • tell me about joining the fire service…
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

come out of uni with no real desire to sit in an office. have always thought of the armed forces, but the more i think about it, the less i want to go to afghanistan etc… but i would like an active job, preferably doing 'good'.

from what i understand there is some sort of waiting list to get into training, but i'd be more than happy for an excuse to go travelling for a number of months.

what is the training process like? i do have a long-term leg injury which prevents prologed running (another reason why i've decided against the army), but i am relatively fit.

within the service, what opportunities are there for promotion/bulding a career etc?

whats the job actually like?

cheers

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

whats the job actually like?

Plenty of scope to build a second career too 🙂

bruneep

Plenty of scope to build a second career too

🙄

Boring……………

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i don't get it 🙁

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Not to pee on your party but you may have to wait a while for any recruitment to occur, unless you are willing to move to the very few brigades that will be taking on in the next year – another thing to thank the bankers for.

peachos
    Free Member

i've been thinking of joining for a while too mate. join this, tons of info and actually speak to firemen rather than this lot who don't really know. forum – http://www.fireservice.co.uk/forum/index.php

unfortunately it's all dried up at the moment – nothing about at all & not looking to hopeful in the near future because of public spending cuts 🙁

may as well go travelling for a couple of years!!

bruneep

rather than this lot who don't really know.

Really? http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1880021

I'm the one bent over the rear wheel.

ianpinder
    Free Member

bruneep – Member
    Really

He didn't say all of you don't know, but really, ask a fire fighter forum, or ask a mountain biking forum with one or two fire fighters

peachos
    Free Member

bruneep – Member
    Really? http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1880021

I'm the one bent over the rear wheel.

sorry mate, no offence – it wasn't directed at anyone who had replied…rather the forum members as a whole. can't be that many firefighters on here.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

hmm, yeah, labour overspending has stuffed a few things up.
    i'll have a look at that forum too thanks.

are their nationality issues on joining up too? i realise it'll be different rules in different countries, but i've always wanted to move abroad, so i guess i could look at different countries perhaps…

firestarter
    Free Member

Our brigade isn't recruiting for the next five years

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

blimey 😐

peachos
    Free Member

**** – which service is that firestarter??

maybe worth having a look at Oz or something?

firestarter
    Free Member

Blimey indeed , you wanna see the cuts they are planning too

When I joined the whole process from first test day thru to being told I was in was 9 months then had to wait another couple of months for a place on course. THe course was 16 weeks residential at our brigade. Them out to station on two years probation .

Being ex forces helped too I've no doubt , when I arrived at station there was only one lad on my watch that wasn't ex forces. On my current watch half are ex forces too.

Great job but It's changed a lot and huge changes are planned. Forget all the rubbish about running two jobs now its busy and only gonna get more so

Good luck tho if you go for it

Onzadog
    Free Member

Had an email recently telling me that Nottingham's planned recruitment has now been put on hold.

Spud

Saw on North Yorks www that they're recruiting.

firestarter
    Free Member

north yorks arent recruiting fire fighters tho im afraid

Bazz

Hungry monkey- i'm not sure where your from but seeing as your a graduate London fire brigade are occaisionally recruiting for a targeted development programme to take recruits through to middle manager positions in around six years – to be fair it isn't popular with alot of us as it just means there is a bunch of officers who know policy inside out but have no real life experience, but it would be your best bet to get in the door as recent Tory attacks on all public services have pretty much caused any recruitment any where in the public sector to dry up, and there probably won't be much change in the next couple of years.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Boring……………

Ooooh….sensitive aren't we. Only teasing 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

maybe worth having a look at Oz or something?

Just tightened immigration procedures again and possibly another tightening on the way given the election results.

Ireland?

DrJ

Blimey indeed , you wanna see the cuts they are planning too

Seems fair enough, as long as they also cut the number of fires, too.

Oh … hang on …

firestarter
    Free Member

Lol

Drac

Deadlydarcy not all of them have second jobs that's such a myth.

They're too tired for second jobs from playing volleyball all day at work.

brack
    Free Member

Have 3 mates who are firemen. They love the job (and yes they all have second jobs) their biggest whinge centres around boredom. If you can get your head around that then it sounds like a great career !

Good luck

firestarter
    Free Member

They should transfer to a busy station if they are bored 😉

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

bazz – thought that might be the case, but i think i'd rather be a more regular recruit, and i've vowd never to move to london! but i may well look into it anyway.

konabunny – tightened again?! sounds like i'll never get in. one of the reasons i want to move abroad is to get away from the awful english weather… i don't think ireland is an option 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘tell me about joining the fire service…’ is closed to new replies.