Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tell me about Dog Travel Crate/Boxes/Cages
  • wwaswas

We’ve got a Viszla arriving in a month or so and I’m looking for advice.

I’m not that keen on having a free range dog in the back of the car – even with a safety net between it and the passengers. We also want to be able to use the boot for things other than dog (boots etc) whilst the dog’s in there.

So been looking at various options for carrying the dog.

This sort of thing looks ideal;

http://www.cabtransitboxes.co.uk/boxes_pages/cab5.php

Anyone with a similar sized dog – will this be big enough once it’s not a puppy any more?

I’ve looked at TransK9 who do similar size cages but more expensive.

There’s lots on ebay but most seem to have shallow/open bottoms which don’t seem ideal with a puppy…

Any advice welcome!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Not suitable for children apparently. 🙁

GolfChick
    Free Member

how long and far will you be travelling for? its going to be long enough length ways for your vizla to lay down but will be fairly restrictive in terms of moving around once that position gets uncomfy. I wouldn’t hesitate if I was just taking them to the nearby woods etc. but if i was driving all the way to Scotland or France its going to get fairly bored and confined.

This is under the assumption its going in an older a4 avant as photographed? or something smaller?

sweepy
    Free Member

I can’t give you anything specific to your breed or that box. However I thoroughly recommend a box for a dog in a car. We got one like a big plastic catbox, on its second dog now and they have both been safer, more relaxed and happier in it than loose.

wwaswas

We go camping so want to be able to transport camping kit and dog so I’m loathe to go for something that’s full width.

No more than 2-3 hours in the car without a good break would be max journey I expect

Scapegoat

Lintran. That is all. As for size, the dog needs to stand up and turn round for comfort, so think about the size it will be as an adult.
    Lintran site gives sizes and options based on the car rather than the dog, which isn’t necessarily all that helpful. I’d look to a gundog forum for advice personally.

Del

mine rides on a seat, in a harness attached to the seat belt with a climbing sling and krab.

Scapegoat

On, and you could buy full width and a divider so you can put some kit in the box as well.
    Shell grow into it….

wwaswas

this one’s a Vizsla – more than half width by the look of it. Does it look a comfortable size for a dog that big?

Did consider full width plus divider but then thought – we’ll want to use the other half for ‘stuff’ all the time so what’s the point.

Scapegoat

The point is I sometimes transport more than one dog, but that one looks about right I’d say.

wwaswas

ah, we’re not getting a second one (I hope…)

this looks good too?

http://www.safedog.co.uk/bmw.htm

mtbfix

We have a Travall guard and divider. Plenty of space for the dog and keeps him off the other stuff in the boot. It’s in an smax so when we have to carry loads of kit some gets packed in under bed crates and his mat goes in top of them so he can still truffle about.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yeah I personally reckon a divider may be better that a crate or box because of vizlas being larger than some. That way you can perhaps expand the divider to 2/3rds rather than half? I know Vizlas are slightly smaller than my rhodesian ridgeback but she wouldn’t be happy with that size and having to lie like that constantly, especially for 2-3 hours. She is a sleep monster though and I reckon could sleep during a concert at the albert hall!

Milkie
    Free Member

Full width & a divider here. There is nothing to say you can’t put crap in the divided bit. 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Dog Travel Crate/Boxes/Cages’ is closed to new replies.