Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Technology that 'just works'
  • Cougar

Or, “someone’s thought about this.”

Two things are impressing me at the moment.

1) HDMI. I switch on the Bluray player, it sends a signal to the amp which powers on and selects the correct input and settings for that source. The amp brings the TV out of standby, selecting the correct channel for playback. One button, and everything’s good to go. Gone are the analogue days of playing russian roulette with settings and inputs, a nightmare when others in the house less familiar with your setup just want to put the telly on.

All the remotes interoperate, automagically, without spending hours configuring each one manually, keying in obscure keystrokes and trial-and-error codes from the back of the manual. I want to turn up the volume, I pick the nearest remote and press the volume control and it Just Works, even if I’m watching Sky and happen to be holding the Bluray remote.

At night I don’t want to disturb the neighbours, so I decide to use the TV speakers. Switch off the amp, it reverts to a pass-through device and the TV un-mutes itself. All the volume controls now seamlessly work the telly instead. Genius.

2) VMWare. I got a new laptop at work this week. Historically I’ve have kept a copy of the disk from the old one just in case, either physically swapping the drives or cloning it, so that I can access it if I’ve missed copying something over (eg, I forgot to note down the licence key for an app).

This time, I installed VMWare Converter (free) on the old laptop. It takes a snapshot of the running PC and saves it as a file. Copied the file to the new machine, installed VMWare Player (also free) and pointed it at the image. In a window, just like I’m sat in front of it, my old laptop boots up and lets me log into it even though the physical machine no longer exists. It’s practically witchcraft.

We live in interesting times. What have you got that Just Works?

jam-bo

Teamviewer

crikey
    Free Member

Tin openers have never caused me any trouble, and forks seem to perform very well in the food portion transfer department.

noteeth
    Free Member

Old school Deore XT thumbshifters (with hidden eighth click).

Toothbrush.

Jamie
    Free Member

Teamviewer

On a similar note, LogMeIn.

Set up account.

Install client software on parents computers.

Download the iPhone App, now free, or use the web interface.

BOOM. Full control with no port forwarding, router fiddling.

Cougar

noteeth – Member

Toothbrush.

Objection!

noteeth
    Free Member

Objection!

You think dentures clean themselves? 😉

scuzz
    Free Member

Similar to LogMeIn – Hamachi! Lovely VPN without faff.

allthepies
    Free Member

+1 logmein, I previously setup a VNC server on my parents computer and used a SSH tunnel to securely connect it to, lots of config hassles on PC and router. Now it’s logon to my logmein account and click 🙂

Cougar

Good points. I use LogMeIn and TeamViewer on a regular basis, similar applications with a slightly different mode of operation; the LMI connection is initiated by the remote user so is good for unattended devices, TV requires the local user to start the connection and so is better when authorisation is required (eg, supporting friends’ computers).

But yeah, TBH I think we can add “remote support” to the list generically. Since I first started using it in anger years ago with VNC and RDP it’s revolutionised the way I, and indeed IT staff generally, work.

_tom_
    Free Member

Android based smartphone – no faff or having to deal with any crap software, i can drag and drop video files and ebooks /comics for me to view in my breaks at work 🙂

Windows 7.

CaptJon
    Free Member

TV remote controls

higthepig
    Free Member

Insulated cup

Cougar

I can see how that’d be especially useful to ice hockey players.

retro83
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    At night I don’t want to disturb the neighbours, so I decide to use the TV speakers. Switch off the amp, it reverts to a pass-through device and the TV un-mutes itself. All the volume controls now seamlessly work the telly instead. Genius.

That’s really good, what TV/amp?

Cougar

That’s really good, what TV/amp?

It’s a Toshiba TV and Yamaha amp – so not even the same make. That’s what makes it doubly impressive.

<geek>It uses a thing called CEC – Consumer Electronics Control – which is what you see branded as Regza Link, Viera Link etc by different manufacturers, but it’s all a standardised thing under the branding and all interoperable. Manufacturers keep that bit quiet though, to encourage you to buy players that match your TV.</geek>

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Toasters.

Cougar

Further reading,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC

(seems individual feature implementation is optional, the standard just makes the data connection mandatory, which makes sense)

mattrgee
    Free Member

+1 Teamviewer

Cougar

Toasters.

I’d contest that. Finding a toaster that a) toasts evenly and consistently and b) actually has slots long enough to accept bread from a toastie loaf is really really difficult.

Mine’s one of the better ones I’ve used, but it’s equipped with the turnydial of doom. It goes from 1 to 6; setting it to 4 results in warm bread, setting it to 4.01 results in charcoal. I can only conclude that the ‘6’ setting is intended for some sort of industrial welding application and the ‘1’ setting is for people who don’t like toast.

Jamie
    Free Member

Toasters

You insane, homey?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2biEN-BiM1Y[/video]

retro83
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    Further reading,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC

(seems individual feature implementation is optional, the standard just makes the data connection mandatory, which makes sense)

Love that. All the individual bits needed have been about for years, just took somebody to sit down and think about it then make a standard which (unusually) actually works.

Cougar

(that sketch is where I got ‘turnydial’ from)

All the individual bits needed have been about for years, just took somebody to sit down and think about it then make a standard which (unusually) actually works.

Yeah. Ostensibly it’s the successor to the old AV.link used in SCART connectors, but like you say someone’s actually thought about it and done it properly, which is what I was getting at when I started the thread. Very cool.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The tin opener on a Swiss Army Knife.

ph0010421
    Free Member

Tilley lamps. Perfected about 100 years ago.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

These wifi enabled Powerline Adapters

Extend your wireless network? Add an instant AP to a non-wifi router/switch? All done with the touch of a button. Amazing things.

_tom_
    Free Member

Forgot about powerline adaptors, been using the novatech ones for a while and they do just work 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Unix/Linux
    Amazingly powerful and adaptable, infinately configurable, reliable beyond belief. Tough. I have heavily used servers at work that have uptimes for around 7 years, still running fine.

Windows 7 +1

samuri
    Free Member

Oh, also, (from work) Cisco VPN 3000 series appliances. I have two at work that are also heavily used, are 5 years out of support and have been in use for over 15 years with not one single failure.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Powwrplug home network ‘plugs’. Thought there was no way they would work, they do, very easily and very brilliantly.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Sky HD box and remote. Faultless.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Agree, add remote record app and anytime+ and it’s pretty unbeatable.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LngBJX8giY[/video]

One minute in…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sturmey Archer three speed hub.

chvck
    Free Member

Unless you have a piece of hardware that either decides that they aren’t going to tolerate!

geoffj

OS X and iDisk syncing (no really!)
    DropBox
    Husqvarna chainsaws

molgrips
    Free Member

So far, Windows 8.

Windows Live Mesh/Sky drive

USB storage

Badaboom video transcoder

Jamie
    Free Member

Sky Go.

Not got it myself, but seems very nice.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sky+ for that matter.

tomhoward

Electricity.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Technology that 'just works'’ is closed to new replies.