Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Technique: Do you stand up when cornering?
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Good lord some of the people in this thread must be scary to watch riding! 😯

Not scary, just lazy recently and fallen into some bad habits. I can rip it up with the best of them just lost my mojo a bit since last summer and trying to find it again 😐

xiphon
    Free Member

They are faster ‘cos they don’t brake as much….

Having confidence to tackle a corner at speed is quite important!

Some will feel the need to sit, others stand..

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I hover, so am in the middle. Not quite standing, not quite sitting.

Just like I do when going to the toilet.

Paceman
    Free Member

Just like I do when going to the toilet.

😐

chiefgrooveguru

Go here: http://www.leelikesbikes.com/

Have a good read. Buy this:

Book: Mastering Mountain Bike Skills 2nd Edition

Be rad to the power of sick as you send the gnar. Braaap! 😉

(And I gather visiting this chap is excellent too – http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk/ – I have an impending trip…)

Paceman
    Free Member

Had a Xmas Book Token to spend.

Ordered the Brian Lopes book 😀

vorlich
    Free Member

This thread has given me renewed faith in my ability 🙂

16stonepig
    Free Member

How exactly does one get traction on the front wheel (excluding those fancy-shmancy 2wd bikes)?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cornering while climbing – depends on the bike and the trail
    Cornering while descending – you mean you sit down descending? Are you on crack?
    😀

cr500dom
    Free Member

rocketman –
    Tend not to stand up in the car or on the motorbike but rarely corner seated on the MTB.

Car agreed, but Motorbike ?

I always “weight” the outside “Peg” whether the bike is Powered by an engine or a fat heffer 😉

I may look like I am still on the saddle sometimes but as much of my weight is going through the outside peg/pedal as possible, basically bum close to seat for control through thighs but not bearing any weight.
    That way you drop your effective centre of gravity

kaesae
    Free Member

Mastering mountain bike skill is a great book, buy it study it then go see a coach every 6 to 12 months, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Riding a bike is more about feeling than anything else, at first new techniques feel awkward, after your used to them they just feel natural.

as for cornering how ever you like it 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have got in the habit of always standing just on the outside pedal and pushing the bike over with my hands on all types of turn.

But I have seem many edits with riders keeping their feet level, esp on quick berms. Something to work on?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

But I have seem many edits with riders keeping their feet level, esp on quick berms

if the berm is supporting your tyre, otherwise the point of outside pedal down and weight over it is to put more weight through the edge of the tyre for grip.

skywalker
    Free Member

I get off and walk round corners

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

But I have seem many edits with riders keeping their feet level, esp on quick berms. Something to work on?

Buzz – the base of the tyre remains perpendicular to the ground, so as far as the tyres know they’re not cornering 😉 Obviously standing, with weight through the pedals will still be an advantage in a bermed corner, it’s just that you’re not looking to load the edges.

adstick
    Free Member

Always stand obviously…

Keeping your pedals level, even on flat corners, is good practice too. It’s counter intuitive but the bike is easier to steer and you can still weight the tyre edges, just lean the bike more.

yunki
    Free Member

I stand when cornering but sit down to wee…

kaesae
    Free Member

and talk shit with your finger tips 😆

yunki
    Free Member

always wash your hands after cornering.. 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Buzz – the base of the tyre remains perpendicular to the ground, so as far as the tyres know they’re not cornering Obviously standing, with weight through the pedals will still be an advantage in a bermed corner, it’s just that you’re not looking to load the edges.

OK. Is it faster turn-to-turn not having to swap foot position; is that the point? I’ll have a go on my next visit to AC – it has several sequences of bermed corners on the Upper Quarry segment.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Is it faster turn-to-turn not having to swap foot position

Not always but If they’re bermed, then you’re not looking to load the edges so it doesn’t really matter.

wallop

Attack!

iridebikes
    Free Member

I aim to corner like danny hart, in this video, skip to about 9 minutes if you cant be bothered to watch it all

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Locals2-Part-2-2012.html

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Technique: Do you stand up when cornering?’ is closed to new replies.