Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Technique: Do you stand up when cornering?
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Technique:

Do you stand up when cornering?

I’ve been more of a sit down rider in the past but I’m starting to think standing up allows more movement on the bike etc.

_tom_
    Free Member

Always unless I’m at the end of a long run and my arms/legs are nackered.

LoCo
    Free Member

‘Carve’ the corners in most cases so semi stood up moving the bike underneath you, Jedi will be able to help you with this.

anc
    Free Member

Lots of different types of corners require different techniques and positions. Brian Lope’s book is worth a read, he’s quite good a getting through the twistys.

chiefgrooveguru

99.9% of the time.

jedi

yep, always stand

xiphon
    Free Member

Never thought about it before until now… how odd…

Depends on many factors – speed, terrain, tightness of corner, if there’s a berm to support you, bike you’re riding, level of exhaustion from the ride so far, etc.

psling
    Free Member

So, all you 99.9% and always guys… even riding gradually uphill on a fireroad?!? 😯 😆

atlaz
    Free Member

The only time I sit when cornering is just riding along on roads, fireroads etc. Any trail riding I’m on my feet.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Strangely this is where the skill compensation/laziness of FS affects me, when I’m on my hardtail I stand 99% of the time but on my FS it far less, matbe half the time!! This is strictly XC mind, none of that crazy stuff that requires proper skillz…

Recently I’ve been nticing a lot more threads etc about improving skills and it’s got me thinking about my own bad habits so I reckon it’s about time I booked myself on a refresher day, can anyone recommend one that’s aimed at XC??

xiphon
    Free Member

@Adam Buckland…. depends on what you want out of your skills day.

Phone around a few, and discuss how they could assist you.

Are you willing to travel?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Cannot think of a hard fast rule apart from steady non technical uphill is usually sat down. Everything else just “depends”. Bit tricky downhill is probably stood up more than sat, unless I am mincing with one leg stuck out 🙂

wallop

I only sit down when I’m going uphill.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

@Xiphon I guess I’m going to have to travel as I live in West Berks and I assume that most of these guys are in more geographically challeging areas??

psling
    Free Member

I guess I’m going to have to travel as I live in West Berks and I assume that most of these guys are in more geographically challeging areas??

Jedi’s not too far from you and will target your requirements 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

What’s the point of having suspension if you stand up…I’ve learnt to jump sat down aswell now.

nealy
    Free Member

Always always stand up, what the below video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoNOvtwxpxo

thepurist

Adam – anywhere S of The Wash & E of Bristol means Jedi is the best bloke you can go and see. Some might even say you can forget the bit between “S” and “l”

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

psling – Member

So, all you 99.9% and always guys… even riding gradually uphill on a fireroad?!?You’re confusing ‘bend’ with ‘corner’.

_tom_
    Free Member

So, all you 99.9% and always guys… even riding gradually uphill on a fireroad?!?

I think I only rode my mtb up hill a couple of times last year 😕

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointer, I’ll drop Jedi a line.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

There’s a number of very good reasons why sitting down is one of the most ‘crash inducing’ things you can do while riding.

What’s the point of having suspension if you stand up…I’ve learnt to jump sat down aswell now.

Suspension is there to aid grip, increased comfort is just a bonus 😉

simon1975

Stand up and get your weight forward to get more traction off the front tyre. Watch some BMX track racing for inspiration.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

simon1975 – Member

Stand up and get your weight forward to get more traction off on the front tyre. Watch some BMX track racing for inspiration. FTFY!

simon1975

simon1975 – Member

Stand up and get your weight forward to get more traction off from the front tyre. Watch some BMX track racing for inspiration.

Betterer?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Much betterer!

DenDennis
    Free Member

depends on corner shurely?

I remember seeing the start of the Dalby XC world cup, a big flat grass wide radius corner. All the pros going round it sat down cornering like roadies do, leaning bike well over. Obviously weight shifted a bit on the saddle but deffo not properly stood up. 😕

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

If it’s a downhill corner, I usually find my technique of sitting down, feet off the pedals, death grip on the bars and squealing like a 6 year old girl has served me well this far 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Give me strength.

philconsequence
    Free Member

If it’s a downhill corner, I usually find my technique of sitting down, feet off the pedals, death grip on the bars and squealing like a 6 year old girl has served me well this far

surely the only time feet are on pedals is when you’re going uphill, anything else and you’re not acting like a kid. bikes are designed so we can act like kids, MEDICAL FACT.

Paceman
    Free Member

By the sound of things I think i’ve been falling into bad habits / laziness and sitting too much. I’m definitely seated at least 50% of the time on flat / rolling terrain, and only really a commited out of the seat rider when pointed downhill or over rooty and rocky sections.

I posted this question as i’ve been trying to establish why some of our riding group are faster than others on the local singletrack trails, and the standing/seated technique difference was something I noticed.

It certainly makes sense now I think about it.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

They’re faster because they pump the bike over the terrain.

rocketman
    Free Member

Tend not to stand up in the car or on the motorbike but rarely corner seated on the MTB.

It’s best to push the bike into the corner while maintaining your c-of-g and I find it difficult to do this when seated normally.

kudos100
    Free Member

Sit down rider? I’m not having a go, but I’m guessing you didn’t spend to much time on rigid bikes.

I stand 99% of the time when cornering. 1% is probably when I have run out of carbs and am half dead!

Paceman
    Free Member

I got in early with full-suss riding so that might explain it!

Excited now about my next ride, hoping for a revelation! 😀

D0NK

First thought was 99% stood up but actually it depends, if I’m pedalling hard and the speed/corner/conditions are right I’ll sit down and pedal through the corner, that’ll be mainly climbing but some smooth bermed trail centre stuff is perfect for powering through.

Fast/loose/rocky/hard turns/very twisty etc you should be stood up.

greeble
    Free Member

is this you?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DQVI7wAoU0[/video]

legend
    Free Member

Good lord some of the people in this thread must be scary to watch riding! 😯 😯

D0NK

This is bad form I know,

so I’ll edit it out.

xcgb
    Free Member

Why follow him? either stop and give him a break or call out that you are coming past

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Technique: Do you stand up when cornering?’ is closed to new replies.