Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • tapping cast iron
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I broke a cast iron grate off my new hob last night (it was bent and I was trying to straighten it).

The only way I can think of repairing it is to bolt it back together which would require tapping into it. It looks like cast iron. Is this a go-er?

I'll look into a new one but given the hob retention kit was £25 I am guessing it may not represent "good value" (And I would not recommend a ex-dem hob from Ikea!)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Suspect it'll take some doing, it's a very hard substance normally. I'm fairly amazed it was bent – normally cast iron just shatters, thats kind of an integral part of cast iron.

Smee
    Free Member

Should be easy enough to do, it cuts pretty easily. Shouldn't need any cutting paste either as cast iron is self lubricating apparently

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Al – I have a set of taps and dies if you want to borrow them – but I tend to agree with coffeeking – cast iron will be difficult to drill and tap

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'd say it depends on the cast iron. The stuff is relatively soft and easy to machine and tap, though a bit messy as you normally get grey dust everywhere. The problem is that if it looks like it's come straight out of a casting mold, rather than been prevously machined, like a I guess a grate would be, then it's a bit like an armadillo, soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Once you get though the skin it will be fine, both to drill and tap, but you may have issues with the tough outer skin.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

If its 'new', can you not try it on with a warranty claim. Just say it broke off under normal usage and let the warranty company try to prove otherwise ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers. I think it's a tricky one as I'd have to drill in at a couple of odd angles, keep alignment correct, then tap.

Is there another way of doing it? Superglue didn't work *opps: and I can't think of anything that might be heat resistant enough.

NFE I may try that but the hob was sold "as seen" meaning I am probably screwed. It won't look good to say "it was bent when I got it, honest, it broke when I was trying to straighten it"!

Smee
    Free Member

Try Brazing it together.

coffeeking
    Free Member

An experienced welder with a furnace might give it a go, but it'll cost more than it's worth I suspect – you can weld cast but it needs heat treating and welding in a special way and even then tends to become more likely to break/crack etc in future. Brazing – not sure, depends on your heat and location obviously. If it's bent though you need it straightening first…?

wors

piece of piss, as said cast iron is easy to machine, unless of course it has been chilled.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Depends on the type of cast iron wors

wors

Depends on the type of cast iron wors

okay assuming it is SG Iron

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Take it to your local Blacksmith, yes, they still exist!

he may be able to fix or use it as a pattern to cast a new one

cynic-al
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

If it's bent though you need it straightening first…?

Indeed – though there's a way round it. I'll call the spares folk and see how much they want for a new one. I think I've got a reasonable argument with ikea as the guy just boxed it up without allowing me to inspect it properly.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘tapping cast iron’ is closed to new replies.