Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tapered Steerer Fit
  • marshyrob
    Free Member

Hi

Ive read somewhere that you can get adapters to fit a tapered steerer into a 1-1/8″ straight headtubes (Tapered part stays out of the headtube). I also read that they are only for certain frames.

Anyone know of the Santa Cruz Heckler is a frame that can use these adapters?

Cheers

wwaswas

Tapered part stays out of the headtube 😯

you’d have about 6cm of steerer sticking out the headtube on my forks!

marshyrob
    Free Member

Well im not sure of the full set up and how it all works but its possible according to what i read. Cane Creek headset i think. Maybe its not the tapered part as i think thats fits but it wont fit with the bearings.

jasonm945
    Free Member

I think the head tube needs to have an ID of 44mm or more, so if the frame takes a normal 1 1/8th lower then you cannot fit tapered steerers. Of course someone may be along to correct me…

Jay

sillyoldman

Sorry, but you need a 44mm headtube originally designed for an internal headset. With a standard 1 1/8″ headtube designed for external cups, you can only run a straight 1 1/8″ steerer.

marshyrob
    Free Member

thanks guys, should have known it wouldn’t work, too good to be true! Ill keep looking for some straight steerer forks in the spec. Really should get the new Heckler frame with taper!!

clubber
    Free Member

Pah. Amateurs

Get one of these

Apply to bottom of head tube until tapered steerer fits

Job done

(Legal caveat – This may or may not work. Head tubes can do down as well as up)

marshyrob
    Free Member

ha ha love the idea…but i doubt ill be trying that!

wwaswas

I love the fact that someone’s given their hammer a name.

clubber
    Free Member

Have a look at where the pic is from! World Champs!

bigyinn
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

I love the fact that someone’s given their hammer a name.
    Its so you know who to hit with it, in this case Mr Tumble / Justin Fletcher.

clubber
    Free Member

Yep, young kids here too…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tapered Steerer Fit’ is closed to new replies.