Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Talk to me about removing load bearing walls
  • pinch_flat
    Free Member

So we’re looking at buying a new house. It’s a refurb job, and one thing i’m considering is the removal of a load bearing wall to extend the dining room.

So I know all about removing load bearing walls but my question is this: the wall I want to take out is currently supporting another load bearing beam from a wall that has already been removed, therefore what I want to know is if there is a way to do this without costing the earth.

In terms of nibs to support the ends of the beams there shouldn’t be a problem, it’s all about this beam crossing that I’m concerned about. Is it simply a matter of bolting beams into a cross type pattern?

Moses

What’s your house worth?
    What would a structural engineer cost, for an opinion & report?

It would be worth a few hundreds to be sure of the right answer.
    You’d also need to look at the foundations. You might be putting a lot of pressure on a small area with two beams crossing over a small pier, and that might lead to long-term subsidence

tjagain

I think ( but am not usure) that it could end up very expensive with not only steel beams being needed but also steel uprights rather than nibs of walls.

something that needs proper professional opinion tho – you would be supporting half the house on two nibs

revs1972
    Free Member

Supplied steels for a job that was similar to what you are proposing. Beams just bolted together .
    As above, get a structural engineer to look at it. I find if you furnish them with as much information as you can, including a dimensioned plan , then it keeps their price down . On the one we did the engineer didn’t have to visit site as we gave him a drawing and some photographs. Sounds like you know what you are doing which helps

revs1972
    Free Member

If you can, buy your steels direct from fabricator. You usually find a builder has quite a premium when they supply them 😆

pinch_flat
    Free Member

All good points, particularlying the foundations point which I hadn’t considered. Am planning on speaking to a structural engineer, just wanted to see if I was after the moon on the stick.

Greybeard
    Free Member

When giving info to your Strucural Engineer, include the whole wall layout. Walls don’t just hold up the house, they also stop it swaying sideways. The Engineer will need to check there will be enough wall left, and enough connection to other walls via the supported floor.

totalshell

just done two in the same house.. i had no confidence in client or ‘builder’ but the structual engineer sussed it all out told them how to do it and what to use.. looks great now.. by way of confidence the interior walls were so poor we couldnt drill them to fix radiators as the drill was literally pushing the bricks into the cavity.. builders solution? silicone the bricks together.. no mortar? nah this silicones the dogs and you can drill it.. OMG..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about removing load bearing walls’ is closed to new replies.