Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Talk to me about Racing Ralph's
  • Nezbo
    Free Member

There are lots of different variations:

Standard ones,
    DD (double density),
    Snakeskin,
    UST,
    Tubeless

What is the difference?
    Which ones do I go for?
    Where is the cheapest place to get some?
    I am currently looking at the Snakeskin ones.

To start off with I have been using the standard ones for a bit and I like them so no need for comments like there crap don’t get them, get other tyres etc… 🙂

Nezbo
    Free Member

Anyone?

Suburbanlife
    Free Member

I can't comment on performance as I've never used them, although I'm tempted in this dry spell.

Although seen them quite cheap on Ribble the other day – plus you get a further 6% off if you type in the code tour6.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bmx-bike/Schwalbe-Racing-Ralph-EVO-MTB-Tyre/SCHWTYMF100

Vortexracing

got one on the back (would not want one on the front) seem OK but only for this dry weather IMHO.

I have a 2.25 Snakeskin one and running it on stans 355 tubeless. Seems OK so far.

qwerty
    Free Member

i got 700c x 35mm Triple compound on the CX bike – they were fab for dry n dusty FOD trails

i'd definately use them on an mtb

vdubber67
    Free Member

Ridden them before (standard ones front and back) for marathon stuff. Ripped one on the back, so I'd be tempted by the snakeskin ones!

neninja
    Free Member

I run the Evo 2.1 on the back – no tears or sidewall damage so far – run tubeless and did get one puncture when a 50mm long 8mm thick thork stuck at an angle. Fixed it with a tubeless repair kit.

The Snakebite and DD both offer puncture protection but the DD has more protection at the expense of slightly more weight and rolling resistance although in 2.1 variety they are only 15g heavier than the snakeskin so probably worth it.

UST and tubeless are the same aren't they? 200g heavier than the Evo – I've run the Evo tubeless with no bother.

neninja
    Free Member

Taken from Schwalbe US website

– SnakeSkin-Sidewall –

a light and flexible woven layer on the sidewall guards tires against abrasion damage.

– Double Defense –

two system puncture defense with High Density Guard and Snake Skin sidewall. For the first time the protection belt from high-density Vectran fabric – the same used in the Ultremo – is also to be found in an MTB tire. While the proven SnakeSkin sidewall protects against sharp edged stones. There cannot be more security for light, fast off-road tires.

– Evo-Tubeless:

The new models now only weigh around 130 gram more than their "normal" folding tire counterparts. Additional benefits of the new Schwalbe Tubeless generation: Reduced rolling resistance stronger sidewall, easier assembly.

njee20
    Free Member

got one on the back (would not want one on the front) seem OK but only for this dry weather IMHO.

Why not?

They have the same side lugs as a Nobby Nic, but are lighter and roll quicker. IMO they make the Nobby Nic pretty redundant, neither are up to much in the mud, and the Ralph is better in the dry. A good 3-season tyre IMO! Snakeskin/DD if you live somewhere rocky, standard Evo if not.

Saying that, if you don't live somewhere rocky and value light weight the Rocket Ron is lighter and grippier. They do wear more quickly though.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

evo's are fine all over I ride hard in the peaks and run 2.1 evos and 2.25 on my hardtail…theyre lightfast and grip well….If you dont like them on the front learn to ride .
    If me and Njee20 can ride with furious freds on the front most should be able to ride a ralph on the front.
    Bruce

enfht
    Free Member

Fast and light, these are my favourite summer tyres, had been running front and back but recently swapped to a nobby nic on the front.

Great tyre imo

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I've got one on the back. Good in dry to damp but not so good on loose gravel climbs as the knobbles are too small.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I've got one on the back. Good in dry to damp but not so good on loose gravel climbs as the knobbles are too small.

mine are fine. what pressure you running?

njee20
    Free Member

Agree, I've never had a problem on loose surfaces either.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i run mine most of the year. i normally remove the rear one as it lacks mud clearence (2.4") before it looses grip heading towards winter.

njee20
    Free Member

Which was why I think they make the Nic a bit redundant, but the time it's too wet for a Ralph, Nics aren't up to much either, a proper mud tyre makes more sense!

Nezbo
    Free Member

Cool, cheers all 🙂

I must say I use Ralphs all year round (on the best bike that I use mainly for racing and epic rides) with no real problems, they do get a bit entertaining in the wet but I can live with that.

Cheers neninja – that’s good info.

So I think the Snakeskins or the DD ones are going to be what I want (on the rear anyway)

pinches
    Free Member

I was trying to run a normal evo one tubeless and had to put an extra cup of sealant in them to get the sidewall to seal. The snakeskin one i've got on the front was perfect though.

Rons and ralphs ftw.

Fletcher
    Free Member

IMO Don't go for the UST version unless you have UST wheelset. I run UST tubeless nobby nics on my bike, great tyre!

BenjiM

Very fast and light but do you have to pick your lines carefully as the (Triple Nano evo compund) have thin walls. If its mainly dry hard pack they are fantastic wet rocks they can get a bit sketchy, I used em for the Grassing CRC marathon last weekend without any issue until it got wet on the limestone. The front end seems to want to wash out going down ouster rake in forest of bowland when it was really dry (sandy). At the moment I'm running a 2.1 on the back and a 2.35 high roller up front intil my new wheel arrives so I can sick my 2.25 Advantage on the back end.

Nezbo
    Free Member

I used also used them for grassington, and never had a problem with grip, but the slash on the side wall wasted 20mins while i fixed it. hence the need for DD/snakeskin version

radoggair
    Free Member

race front and rear with ralphs and they dont pose any issues. They have all the grip you need from a race tyre ( wet or dry), roll fast and unclog easy in the mud. I've never really noticed a real performance difference in quick tyres from manufactures so all comes down to preference i guess.

As in most things its the rider who makes the main performance difference

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

as said, find them fine on front and back. though unlike nick i run rocket rons/nobby nics as my winter tyres. but it depends if you have "wet" mud, or sticky claggy mud.

i use tubeless ones, but if looking at normal i'd say snakeskin. but if you've never had problems with normal ones before, then why change?

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

fassssssssssssssssst my fav tire of 09

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Racing Ralph's’ is closed to new replies.