Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Talk to me about motorcycle trials
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’ve come a from a Motocross and Downhill background. I’ve taken early retirement from MX, too intense for me after 20 years of racing. Downhill is great fun as are gravity enduros that I’ve started doing but i do miss the 2 wheels and engine combination.

I’ve always enjoyed watching trials and particularly like the idea of being a bit out in the wilderness riding a motorcycle up a rocky valley or up and through a little stream amongst like-minded folk. You get the idea.

So, do any of you do a bit of trialling? Is it fun, easy to get into, friendly and as idyllic as I have it pictured in my mind?

Pigface
    Free Member

Cheap compared with motox and a differtent mindset. You are competing with yourself more.

Pigface
    Free Member

No one else joined in on this yet?

Ok I think you are right on 2 points it is cheap and fun, not sure on Idylic. If you want that then LDTs are the thing for you (Long distance trials) most of my clubs trials around Swindon are on small little patches of land.

Things like the Scot are classic T and O trials and are becoming a rarity these days. Esselgrunt should be along to give his 2 pennyworth, he has done it a few times.

totalshell

cheap to acess all levels abilitys welcome. buy a bike modern twinshock pre65 pop along to your local club ( many have easier mid week stuff at this time of year)
    pay your annual subs about a tenner fill in the form for a licence a tenner plus a passport photo pay your entry fee 10 -15 and your riding obviously you only have to do the first two once..
    practice is the issue very very limited places to practice the best value is to enter trials no one cares if your good or bad or awful its about testing your bike and abilitys..
    wear proper boots and a helmet job done. rideable bike will cost from 800 to 7500

mattsccm
    Free Member

Where are you?
    Plenty of trials about here in the FoD and surrounding areas.
    Go and watch a few? Look for the ACU website and go to your local centre website. You should be able to pick up events from there. Ask around or visit your local club.
    LDT’s for a days riding although you have to be road legal and most LDT’s don’t allow modern trials bikes.
    You can get a useable bike for less than a price of a pair of cycle forks and unlike MX a few rattles won’t be the end of it.

Andy-R

I think it’s a pity that T&O trials seem to be a thing of the past – I always enjoyed those more than “normal” trials. No endless hanging about at sections, just either ride them blind or stop for a few seconds to have a quick run through on foot, normally on the first lap of a multi-lap event.
    If there were any T&O trials run around here then I’d get back into it again, I’d get something like a 320 Majesty or 303 Fantic…..

foolishmiracles
    Free Member

In answer to your question, yes Motorcycles Trials is fun, easy to get into, friendly and in some cases can be idyllic. Ive been away from it for a few years but it never leaves you. The Loch Lomond and Isle of Man Two day trials are run in some of the most beautiful settings in the Country. Trials is considerably cheaper than motocross etc but I wouldnt call it cheap anymore. Riding up a rocky valley or little stream with like minded others may prove to be a little more difficult unless you’re competing in an organised event – a lot of places here in the East Midlands have been closed to Trials riders who have been tarred with the same brush as the local scumbags riding stolen Honda C90’s without helmets etc etc.

Beware those above who are talking fondly of T&O trials like The Scott. The Scott was invented by the Devil himself and will break your soul 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

Busy next week OP? Sounds like a little Highland holiday is just what you need.

http://www.ssdt.org/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about motorcycle trials’ is closed to new replies.