Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • T-Rex
  • teethgrinder

So…on R4 this morning there was a segment which stated that the T-Rex had the strongest bite of any creature evah to walk the earth.

Seems like the force between two of it’s back teeth was like being sat on by a medium-sized elephant.

Anyone care to informe me of this in Standard Inrerwebz units, i.e. double decker busses/Wales?

Ta in advance

avdave2

It’s about the same pressure as when I hit my thumb with a hammer last week.

MSP

It’s half the pressure applied when cracking walnuts between my butt cheeks.

cheese@4p

Two medium sized elephants, that is pretty accurate actually

thepurist

It’s the same weight as a 20th Century Boy, The Children of the Revolution and a White Swan all sat in a Jeepster.

ollie
    Free Member

African or Asian?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well, I guess you could search online for the weight of elephants, buses, and you sound as if you’ll need a calculator too?

AndyP
    Free Member

T. rex please. Let’s not ignore the basic rules of taxonomy.

joao3v16
    Free Member

the T-Rex had the strongest bite of any creature evah to walk the earth.

Seems like the force between two of it’s back teeth was like being sat on by a medium-sized elephant

The second statement doesn’t actually help quantify the first, seeing as people generally aren’t sat on by elephants in their day-to-day life. Plus, I suspect most people don’t know how much a small, medium or large elephant weighs anyway.

The nearest I can come to it is being sat on by my 5yo son.

How many of him make up a medium elephant, and I’ll extrapolate?

African or Asian?

Asian? When I was at school it was ‘Indian’. Is it now racist to refer to them as Indian?

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I think they overcomplicated things with talk of elephants and the like – should have just said “T. Rex were 100% badass. End of”

AndyP
    Free Member

T. rex was clearly not 100% badass. 97% at most, I would say. Look at those ‘arms’. Farcical. What happens if your average rex was to fall over on his/her face? couldn’t get up again. Easy meat for yer average Stegosaurus stenops.

headfirst
    Free Member

Look at those ‘arms’. Farcical.

+1, I mean how do they get bits of dead animal out from between their teeth when their puny arms don’t reach?

alex222
    Free Member
    fuzzhead
    Free Member

true, true – T.rex would be crap in a boxing match due to rubbish arms and if it fell over it would be fecked.
    My personal fave is Utahraptor 🙂

AndyP
    Free Member

Imagine being a dinosaur, right. Gert big teeth and that? Armoured plates? Big old spikes?

No. You’re called Barry, and you’re from Dorking. DINOFAIL.

Barry

DezB
    Free Member

T.rex would be crap in a boxing match due to rubbish arms

Nonsense! It would just lean down and bite the opponents head off. Then eat the ref if he tried to disqualify it.
    Champion of the World!
    (Then it might struggle to get fights).

GaryLake
    Free Member

T.rex is so badass that when he falls over, the earth continues to fall with him, so he never actually falls over.

And those arms are for piano playing while biting the heads off of things at the same time.

Seriously guys…

RustySpanner

About the same force as exerted by a mini hitting a tree.

Sorry.

AndyP
    Free Member

T.rex is so badass that when he falls over, the earth continues to fall with him, so he never actually falls over.
    That’s J. voigt, not T. rex

rkk01
    Free Member

BBC fail.

I listened to this – classic example of dumbing down. Oh no, we can’t use an internationaly recognised unit like Newtons becasue no-one will understand.

Lets use a completely meaningless analogy instead 🙄

GaryLake
    Free Member

That’s J. voigt, not T. rex

2009 TDF says otherwise…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-payruR2-k[/video]

Danny79
    Free Member

To be fair to the BBC the were just recycling a quote provided by Dr Karl Bates

“Those [simulated] muscles closed the jaw as they would in life and… we measured the force when the teeth hit each other,” Dr Bates explained to BBC Nature.

“The maximum forces we found – up at the [back] teeth – were between 30,000 and 60,000 Newtons,” he said.

“That’s equivalent to a medium-sized elephant sitting on you.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17159086

mogrim

Well, I guess you could search online for the weight of elephants, buses, and you sound as if you’ll need a calculator too?

Not quite a calculator, but handy nonetheless: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/vulture_central_standards/

AndyP
    Free Member

July 2009. Voigt crashes into ground.

November 2009 El Salvador mudslides.
    April 2010 Eyjafjallajökull erupts.
    August 2010 Gansu mudslide.
    March 2011 Tohoku tsunami.

Co-incidence? I think not.

GaryLake
    Free Member

November 2009 El Salvador mudslides.
    April 2010 Eyjafjallajökull erupts.
    August 2010 Gansu mudslide.
    March 2011 Tohoku tsunami.

*claps*

Well played!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘T-Rex’ is closed to new replies.