Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Swinley / North Downs or any other recommendations for
  • zesty314
    Free Member

Visiting family in Teddington next weekend and looking for some advice. Swinley Forest and North Downs are both within 45 mins drive but which would be better considering weather conditions and no knowledge of the area. Any advice / maps on routes very much appreciated 😕

Normally ride Afan – Whites and Y Wal.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Leith Hill if you fancy something a little more challenging/technical, Swinley if you don’t, imo.

djglover
    Free Member

Both will be hard work without a guide. I’m sure someone will offer soon, I would but I haven’t got a pass next weekend. There are lots of GPS tracks for both knocking about, both will be muddy, but Swinley mud is better.

tonyg2003

Swinley is a small area (compared to the North Downs) and you are bound to find plenty of other riders at the lookout who should be able to point you in the right direction for the trails or tag along with. If you new to these areas it would be my choice (even though I’m based on the North Downs).

Just don’t expect Afan levels of riding.

zesty314
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses. I see that Nirvana Cycles do Saturday and Sunday rides on the North Downs as well as selling maps of the routes, any good?

cinnamon_girl

I believe we are due for some snow showers commencing Thursday. If it stays cold then Swinley will be good. However, it’s turned mild and mud has reappeared.

Post up again later in the week and I can give you an update. 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

The Nirvana Sunday ride is great, lot’s of hard to find trails around Redlands, Leith Hill and Pitch, some quite/very technical trails and drop offs, some jumps if that’s your thing, it’s steeper than you think in Surrey. I’d pop in and have a chat with Simon or Jackie at Nirvana about routes. Sunday ride starts at 11.00 sharp, there was 20+ riders when I went, can’t wait to do it again.

atlaz
    Free Member

zesty – Weather etc permitting we’ll be out in the North Downs/Surrey Hills at the weekend (90% likely to be Sunday). Let me know if you want to come along.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just don’t expect Afan levels of riding.

Quite – we actually have mud here on the Surrey Hills and very low levels of grip so you’ll need to brush off your riding skills.

This is no over grown BMX track!

zesty314
    Free Member

zesty – Weather etc permitting we’ll be out in the North Downs/Surrey Hills at the weekend (90% likely to be Sunday). Let me know if you want to come along.

Thanks for the offer, weather permitting I’ll probably head down to Nirvana cycles and join in the ride.

Quite – we actually have mud here on the Surrey Hills and very low levels of grip so you’ll need to brush off your riding skills.

Will my Mountain King and Race King tyres be suitable or should I pack my Panracer Fire muds?

cinnamon_girl

Swinley – currently a wee bit of sleety stuff. Actually miniscule.

nicko74

zesty – drop me a line, I have a couple of maps of Swinley that might be useful that I can email over. A fair amount of Swinley’s man made, so will hold up reasonably well to the weather. North Downs really aren’t so much, so don’t so much…

cinnamon_girl

Swinley today and there were snowstorm conditions. Lovely ride though. 8)

Apologies for the plastic littering the trail. 🙄

White blobs are snow!

piha
    Free Member

Hey CG – loving the bike, nice to see it getting out. 😀

cinnamon_girl

Hi piha! Oh yes, she does like Swinley. 😀

Here’s another one:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Swinley / North Downs or any other recommendations for’ is closed to new replies.