Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Swinley
  • steveo48
    Free Member

Hi all, off to Swinley for the first time in the morning, what can I expect. Going with a mate that knows his way round which is a bonus. Should I take full sus Intense or Whyte 905.

anjs
    Free Member

Hmm not a good weekend some ofthe trails (seagull, stickler and tank traps) are closed for maintance

cinnamon_girl

Singlespeed! Unfortunately the dry trails are gone following some continual rain. Some tracks will be closed for maintenance ie The Stickler, Tank Traps, Seagull.

I would probably go ht, not sure how much travel an Intense has?

allthepies
    Free Member

Yeah, not the best time for your first visit as trail maintenace is taking place this week…..

Amos
    Free Member

Hmmm looks like we’re gonna be riding the labyrinth a fair bit!

steveo48
    Free Member

Bugger! I’m going regardless, I’ve been told that the labyrinth is good fun and will be open. Intense is 160mm travel, hardtail 120mm travel, I was thinking hardtail, haven’t been out on it for a while.

cinnamon_girl

Deer Stalker and Baby Maker are great and they lead into Labyrinth. I was using 140mm travel earlier in the week. Overkill but fun.

Enjoy!

steveo48
    Free Member

From what I’ve seen I’m happy with that.

Amos
    Free Member

C_G where does deer stalker and baby maker start in relation to the jump gully or the drain cover above the jump gulley?

steveo48
    Free Member

Or maybe he doesn’t know his way round!!!!!

Amos
    Free Member

Yes he does! HE just needs to re-evaluate his preferred route you can try and find your own way round if you like 😉

cinnamon_girl

Amos – you will have to climb to the ridge so from jump gully head back to the bottom of Surrey Hill. Climb and you will see a covered reservoir at the top. Keep the fence to your right and continue in the same direction on the wide fireroad. You will reach a roller-coaster, continue same direction and eventually will reach a sign saying Swinley Forest.

Just past sign you will see a track bearing left. Take narrow track on left and that is the start of Baby Maker/Deer Stalker.

Amos
    Free Member

Gotcha, know the trails but like I mentioned on a previous thread don’t know the names! Thanks C_G as always very helpful

cinnamon_girl

Amos – there is actually a more fun way of getting there. Up Surrey Hill, past reservoir and after 100 metres turn right. Continue along this track, known by some as the Toboggan Run. You will basically get two fun descents and the second one has a few roots.

Once you exit the trees, there is a sharp left turn so stay on this, through ungated gate, climbing gently. Eventually at t-junction turn right then shortly left. Follow singletrack until small cross-roads then left towards fence, through gap, bear right and you will arrive near the entrance to Babymaker and Deer Stalker.

steveo48
    Free Member

Amos, I hope your taking notes!

steveo48
    Free Member

Apparently it’s easy to get lost, so no Amos I don’t fancy finding my own way round.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’ll be busy enough so just ask anyone if you get lost.

I was up there erlier in the week and it was bone dry, but its been a bit drizzly the last few days.

cinnamon_girl

gps?

cinnamon_girl

Ah Mr Spoon. You were asking about other routes towards the Crowthorne end. I did ride the new trails and noticed an awful lot of rubbish around, including broken glass. Probably worth avoiding at night? As would be beneath the underpass, ie heading towards Broadmoor.

Amos
    Free Member

Ha Ha steve! It’s alright we can use the stars to navigate!

infidel
    Free Member

Heading there today with a mate who is new to riding. I always always get lost and don’t have a clue what the runs are called so if you see a guy on a dialled alpine with a vizsla you’ll know I’m lost!!

Amos
    Free Member

I’m on a custard coloured Soul give me a shout if you want to trundle round with us

infidel
    Free Member

thanks, heading off now, will say hi if I see you. red dialled alpine

cinnamon_girl

Ooooh, nice dog. 🙂

Enjoy your ride everyone!

Amos
    Free Member

We had a fantastic tide and despite the moisture it was riding quite quickly!?

Babymaker and deer stalker both found and both great fun, thanks c_g for your help! Mail me when youre heading down next you could show us dome more trails

FieldMarshall

I am intrigued by the alternate route to the Labyrinth, I.e.

“Amos – there is actually a more fun way of getting there. Up Surrey Hill, past reservoir and after 100 metres turn right. Continue along this track, known by some as the Toboggan Run. You will basically get two fun descents and the second one has a few roots.”

As I don’t recall a turning on the right, just a continuous fence all the way along the fireroad until you get to the Labyrinth.

And isnt the otherside of the fence an army training area?

cinnamon_girl

Glad you had fun chaps!

FieldMarshall – go past the covered reservoir (not quickly) and as you start to descend, look out for a feint crossroads. The fence has an opening and you will bear to the right. This track effectively takes you around the back of the reservoir and will spill you out by some broken railings with a large stone.

The other side of the fence you are referring is indeed the RMA side but there is public access as there are public rights of way through there.

What I sometimes do, particularly if it’s very muddy, is to follow the circuit of the gravel track on the RMA side to make a loop. This will take you over to the Camberley side and crosses the Wishmoor Stream.

Edit: alternative route avoids The Wall!

catfood
    Free Member

I find the best way to the Labarynth is to climb up the little trail about 30 yards to the right of the jump gulley that goes straight up the hill, turn left and nip into the trees on the right by the left hand bend, you can turn right down the Tobogan Run (recommended)or if you feel a bit lazy you can turn left which takes you to the broken railings that C_G mentioned, this way is almst totally flat, very good if youve been out for a while and are getting a bit tired (or youre just a bit unfit like me).

cinnamon_girl

turn left and nip into the trees on the right by the left hand bend, you can turn right down the Tobogan Run (recommended)

Public warning: watch out for me ragging it down there out of control. 😯

FieldMarshall

CG, thanks for the heads up. Will take a look next time we are there.

We normally take a left opposite the reservoir and work our way towards the Labyrinth through the “expert area”. Which is why I have probably never seen the right turn you refer to.

cinnamon_girl

Ah, well I can understand why you go the way you do as there are some really fun trails there!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Swinley’ is closed to new replies.