Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Swimming with a scabbed injury.
  • KINGTUT
    Free Member

Had a road rash incident 9 days ago and took a fair chunk of my knee skin out, its pretty much scabbed over and has stopped weeping (unless I ride).

How safe will swimming in the local pool be? I've read tales of people getting all manner of nasties including the flesh eating bug, but that's the internet for you and these tales shouldn't always be trusted.

jahwomble
    Free Member

I'd imagine it's (the pool) pumped full of disinfectant and the like anyway, especially if you go an hour or two after the mum's and toddler's session.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Indeed but the preventative measures take an hour or so to work on the bacteria.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

It'll be fine you big softy.

What happened BTW?

jahwomble
    Free Member

I did say give it an hour or two 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I've just been swimming with cuts and grazes all over my forarms, shins and back.
    If I'm still spouting rubbish on here come Friday you'll probably be ok.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

It'll be fine you big softy.

What happened BTW?

Came out of the bridal way at the top of 50 acre / Beggar bush Lane, crossed the road standing and powering down on the pedals, chain slips, knee and shin first onto the tarmac, embarrassing and painful.

😐

teagirl
    Free Member

Go to a chemist and buy a flim dressing to cover the area and surrounding healthy skin, should do the trick for a swimming sesh.

hels
    Free Member

You can buy waterproof dressings.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

i'd be more concerned about you contaminating the pool.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

i'd be more concerned about you contaminating the pool.

I completely agree, it works both ways.

Drac

Yup the scabs will soften and peel off in the pool not pleasant for other users, the chlorine will clean you wounds a treat though.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

the chlorine will clean you wounds a treat though.

From what I've read chlorine can increase the healing time of wounds as it damages the new tissue.

Anyhows I'm thinking about this too much and I've taken some advice from someone who has a reasonable knowledge of biological matters, so no swimming for a little longer.

Drac

From what I've read chlorine can increase the healing time of wounds as it damages the new tissue

Possibly but it does clean them a treat still.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

just use a film dressing. nice and hi tech as well – semipermeable membranes

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Tegaderm?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

That'll do.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Have we come to a decision yet? I can't stand the tension any longer!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yes, I'll leave swimming for a a week or so as I think even a Tegaderm dressing will come loose in the water as the injury is on the knee.

You can all breathe easy now.

clubber
    Free Member

Phew. I was going to avoid all Bristol pools for at least a month to avoid the risk of contamination…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Phew. I was going to avoid all Bristol pools for at least a month to avoid the risk of being harpooned…

There fixed it for you.. 😉

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

I'm a lifeguard at the local council pool so feel obligated to help.

As the injury is scabbed it is capped off from the outside world (unlike the bp well :P)

The pool is 100%clean unless the lifeguards have failed to clear any poop or sick. foreign bodies are sterilized within a matter of minutes. 98% of all the crap is in the top 15cm's of water so as the injury is on your leg you should not worry to badly.

If you are that badly concerned i suggest a moisturizer on the area around the scab as this will stop any osmosis occurring into your body in that area.

John

KINGTUT
    Free Member

As the injury is scabbed it is capped off from the outside world

But it won't be after 50 mins in the pool it will soften and probably open the wound again.

This is riveting stuff.

geoffj

I've got a lovely big scab on my right leg from a similar chain slippage injury.
    We're off on hols on Friday. I can't wait to get in the sea – the saltwater and the cleaner prawns should do it the world of good 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Swimming with a scabbed injury.’ is closed to new replies.