Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Swift EBB
  • Betamax
    Free Member

Anti-seize compound or grease? How tight for the set screws?

Thanks.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Probably neither. You don’t want the ebb moving whilst your riding. As for how tight the set screws need to be I can only pass on the advice that was given to me as an apprentice mechanic many years ago ‘tight is tight, too tight is ****’.

I marked my set screws with a paint pen so I can see if they loosen off (not happened so far) and put a line on the ebb and bb shell so I can quickly check if it moves.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

The ***** word rhymes with booked

thekingofsweden

I favour copper grease never had the ebb come loose

You will know how tight to do the set screws to a good firm nip

As for marking the bb/frame. Don’t

You can just check the chain !

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Why would you grease it as a matter of interest? I wouldn’t grease something I am trying to stop moving. It seems counter intuitive.

As for marking the bb/frame I was suggesting a paint pen not a hammer and chisel. Easily removed if needed and provides an easy visual reference as to whether the screws have moved when out and about rather than checking the set screws.

Andy

No grease or copperslip here, just plumbers tape if it feels a bit loose to help it not move, but I think the Phil Wood ebbs in the swifts dont need it. And just a good nip on the bolts, not too tight.

Betamax
    Free Member

OK – so 1 dry, 1 PTFE tape and 1 copperslip.

Any more thoughts? Sam?

thekingofsweden

When the water gets in as it will and nature takes it’s course you will need an anti sieze compound.

As ever there are a hundred or more ways to do things just trying to help you with what works on my 4 singulars and a tandem.

Probably best to get the final word from Sam

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 x EBB frames. ALL of them start to get vocal after a while. The only thing I found to keep them quiet was copper slip….has absolutely no affect what-so-ever to keeping it tight / working loose.

You put grease on bolts to stop them rusting and to make it easier to remove…..it doesn’t mean they work their way loose as they are covered in slippy stuff !?!

Betamax
    Free Member

Copperslip makes sense to me. Thanks for all replies.

Betamax
    Free Member

All copperslipped up. Next EBB mither: 11 o’clock or 7 o’clock?

Just curious.

wwaswas

Sideways Tim made a good point to me the other week – arrange it so any slip will tend to tighten the chain rather than loosen it (so 2 o’clockish).

avdave2

I use anti seize and I think Thorn recommend 10-15 Nm for their EBB’s. And for what it’s worth I only tighten it if it falls off more than once in a ride so as not to put grooves into the shell.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Swift EBB’ is closed to new replies.