Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Swapping out headset bearings – can I be lazy?
  • ex-pat
    Free Member

Headset is getting a bit worn now, bike just isn't used enough + some wet weather riding that's caused ingress.
    Anyway, question is, if I buy like for like headset (same brand, model etc), can I just swap the bearing races rather than the cups?
    It's a helluva lot easier to do that I'm thinking!

Cheers
    Andy

neilnevill
    Free Member

probably. If the headset has sealed cartridge beaigns then yes. If it's loose balls then the cup is the race usually so if the race is damaged you need to change the cup.

theotherjonv

if it's loose or caged bearings, then yes you can put new bearings in but any messed up and pitted surfaces of the cups will soon knacker those balls as well.

If it's cartridge – yes, no issues at all. But you can probably buy just the bearings instead of a whole headset (although that said, it isn't always cheaper). And that said as well, bearings is something where even the best online bike shops are still quite a lot more expensive than if you can be arsed to source new bearings froma bearing supplier….

ex-pat
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Swapping out headset bearings – can I be lazy?’ is closed to new replies.