• This topic has 24 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Suspension seatposts – Yay or Nay?
  • letmetalktomark

Thinking for a longer ride (enduro) application on a HT.

Can’t remember if I have ever used one 😕

Thinking of the USE one rather than the Thudbuster.

Any thoughts?

Wrongun
    Free Member

I used to have the USE one. I quite liked it. It did nothing for most of the time, but took the sting out of any surprise bumps. I did have some rotational (side to side) play, but I soon got used to that and actually found the movement added comfort.

I would reccomend for longer rides

cynic-al
    Free Member

I has a USE – it was rubbish, just binds instead of going up and down Thudbuster is way better IMO.

letmetalktomark

Cheers guys.

Al, when you say binds do you mean it sticking through its “travel”?

wwaswas

get a van-nic Ti post – inch or so of suspension and nothing to go wrong.

GW
    Free Member

never understood suspension seatposts Saddle height changing all the time while sat down pedalling or even worse swaying back and forth (thudbuster) eeewww!! No thanks! I’ll just stick with my knees and standing up to deal with rough ground.

<EDIT? Ti posts flex is awful too

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mark – yes.

GW in “against the grain” shocker!

jameso

I agree with GW on vertical sus posts – they’re ok for some but gave me knee pain very quickly. A quick ‘try it and forget it’ thing for me. Yet Vin Cox got on well with the USE post on his RTW record ride / bike.

Thudbusters look to make more sense but I’d prefer a fatter tyre, a ti post (which i really do rate for reducing buzz, they only flex a few mm) and just getting off the saddle when you need to. or full sus if it’s that rough and long a ride.

I think too many people ride with their saddles too high anyway, lowering it just 10mm can make it so much easier to unweight the saddle during the pedal stroke with no loss of overall efficiency.

cookeaa

I occasionally Ride with a Fella (Work Colleague) who has one and loves it (USE job I think).

He’s had it on 4 or 5 bikes now and is pretty happy with it, however I think it has to suit your riding style.

He’s a “stay in the saddle” kind of rider, fit as a Butchers dog, can gring up almost any climb seated (Where th post doesn’t seem to move much anyway) He’s not a saddle dropper either, will stay in the saddle for every descent/single track section. I think he’s probably faster on the downs for having the USE post than he would be without…

It does seem to save his back/arse on longer rides too I think. When I asked him why not go for an FS instead, his reasoning was simply that the Post “Takes the edge off, cost much less, an HT is lighter and that’s all I need”… seemed fair enough to me…

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Vote for the USE XCR shokpost here.

I’ve had the xcr shokpost on my bikes for about 4 years, great on rocky / rutted trails for taking the worst bumps out.
    USE do different posts, the xcr is the top of the range and has always worked brilliantly, can’t comment for the others in their range.

Check out their advice on soft, medium or hard dependant on your weight, also worth checking the rail size on your saddle, the last one I bought – Sumo version only fits 7mm rails.

69er
    Free Member

USE XCR used here occasionally, but over a long period. A great piece of kit, handy for talking the sting out if you’re going hard and long….your back will love you! In the end the keys will wear but it’s simple to service and parts are easily sourced.

I’ve also got a VN Ti post which has [i]nothing like[/u][/i] an inch of ‘travel’, but is a good Moots copy… I try to convince myself it’s softening the ride.

wwaswas
    get a van-nic Ti post – inch or so of suspension and nothing to go wrong.

GW
    never understood suspension seatposts Saddle height changing all the time while sat down pedalling or even worse swaying back and forth (thudbuster) eeewww!! No thanks! I’ll just stick with my knees and standing up to deal with rough ground.

<EDIT? Ti posts flex is awful too

is somebody handing out free ‘medication’ round here 😀 ? Bizarre….!

letmetalktomark

Cool.

Thank you chaps.

Fancy trying a USE one so on the hunt for one this afternoon 🙂

wwaswas

69er – it’s pretty twangy, I’d say a cm or so of movement either side of the centre wasn’t unreasonable – I have a couple of the layback ones – maybe my weight being off centre induces a bit more give?

keavo
    Free Member

tried use ans thudbuster posts: use wasn’t very good, develops play easily and binds but it adds a little comfort. thudbuster is very good, no sticktion nice rock backwards movement and sturdy piece of kit. adds a good deal of comfort and allows you to stay seated and pedal through rougher terrain, within reason. tried airborne ti, moots ti and a few carbon posts……..decided to go back to a thudbuster.

wwaswas

if you’re quick there’s a £40 thudbuster in the classifieds that might be worth having for a toe int he water;

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-clear-out-wheels-hubs-bars-seat-posts-springs-shock

mt
    Free Member

Have used on for long rides (rocshox) and it was good for taking the edge of bumps. It’s a must for tandem stoker.

GW
    Free Member

I’ve also got a VN Ti post which has nothing like an inch of ‘travel’

it will easily have an inch of flex at full height tho.. urghhh!! I get a horrible feeling just thinking about riding using one!! 😐

69er
    Free Member

Utter rubbish. I reckon a mm or two either way, riding like an unco-ordinated fool 😉

…and I’m 17&1/2 stone, 6’4″ so plenty of post showing. We can easily resolve this – fancy a fight?

keavo
    Free Member

the airborne (van nicholas) is the flexiest rigid post i have used. my guess is less than a cm though. i’m right no need for you fellas to fight over it:-)
    however, one frame i used it on cracked where the end of the seatpost was. i think the post transfers a lot of force to the frame so i got rid of it. and it wasn’t in the same league as a thudbuster.

TheBrick
    Free Member

it will easily have an inch of flex at full height tho.

let me guess you’re of these guys who claim to have a 10″ phallic member.

wwaswas

“guys who claim to have a 10″ phallic member”

Mine’s 12 inches but I don’t use it as a rule.

GW
    Free Member

69er – it’s pretty twangy, I’d say a cm or so of movement either side of the centre wasn’t unreasonable

Agreed
    FYI 12.6mm each side of centre = an inch of flex

69er – if you are ever riding near me, drop by and I will show you your lame seatpost flex by at least an inch (have done it before so know I’m not talking utter rubbish).. you can then fight me if you want, I’m not scared of big guys with such fat arses they can’t even feel their saddles swaying around under them.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The USE post is good unless your seat is not centrally mounted over it, as then your weight will act to make it bind. I would also think that a slacker seattube angle wouldn’t be so good for it.

69er
    Free Member

69er – if you are ever riding near me, drop by and I will show you your lame seatpost flex (wouldn’t you at least like to know what diameter it is?!) by at least an inch (have done it before so know I’m not talking utter rubbish).. you can then fight me if you want, I’m not scared of big guys with such fat arses they can’t even feel their saddles swaying around under them.

OK, you win, you obviously know how wobbly my arse is and how much my (lame) seatpost flexes. Could you let me know next weeks Lottery numbers as well please?

You really are taking yourself and this thread too seriously 😆 !

BTW your maths is poor too:

Agreed
    FYI 12.6mm each side of centre = an inch of flex

No, it doesn’t. You need half of 25.4mm flex either side which is 12.7mm FYI![/i] 😳 Besides which it’ll only flex rearwards under load so you’d need the full 25.2 25.4mm in one direction to prove your statement correct.

Great fun though, thankyou. If you’re riding near Southampton anytime soon e-mail me, we’re better off riding bikes and drinking beer than arguing in here 😉

GW
    Free Member

basic Arithmetic fail 😳

we’re better off riding bikes and drinking beer than arguing in here

You’re not wrong 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Suspension seatposts – Yay or Nay?’ is closed to new replies.