Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Surly Troll
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Anyone had a go on one yet???? Thinking of getting one…

shermer75
    Free Member

bump

xcgb
    Free Member

I was expecting a grumpy keyboard warrior!

Jamie
    Free Member

I thought I was the only one who read it as Surely Troll?

TheBrick
    Free Member

http://whileoutriding.com/ guy has one now and is positive about it.

shermer75
    Free Member

Nice one thanks for that one TheBrick!

tommid
    Free Member

I want one as I have love my 1×1 and my Crosscheck, but I can’t decide whether it really is a trail ready MTB or an MTB shaped urban trailor puller…

I’d be keen to hear a users feedback.

shermer75
    Free Member

By all accounts it’s geometry is the same as the 1×1

Joe

I don’t really understand what the difference between a troll and a karate monkey is? Does anyone else?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m wondering what it’s for too…

Joe

Seems confusing. I often wonder with Surly if someone in the office fancies building themselves something slightly different and they just throw it into the production line and someone forgets to press the off button.
    The travelers check and LHT deluxe are so similar it’s bizarre. Can they really sell enough of them?

I want a touring bike with a tad of off road capability. The Karate Monkey has a similar wheelbase and same head angle as a Long Haul Trucker, the troll is then slightly slacker than both of them. I assume the KM and Troll have shorter head tubes and higher BBs than the LHT, but boy i’m confused…

shermer75
    Free Member

The Karate Monkey is a 29er

TheBrick
    Free Member

karate monkey 29er mountain bike

troll 26″ mountain / tourer pretty different, it more similar to the LHT than the KM.

travelers check is pretty much a crosscheck with is pretty different from the LHT

Joe

A I assumed the Troll was 29 as well. Oh well. I’m an idiot.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is the point of the trll not that it can take 3″ tyres (but not 4″)?

STATO
    Free Member

The travelers check and LHT deluxe are so similar it’s bizarre. Can they really sell enough of them?

The Travelers chack is no longer in production (but they still have some so hence remains on site), the LHT deluxe is its replacement as it has 26″ wheels and therefore thought to be more suitable for a travel/touring bike. At least thats what they said in their Blog.

shermer75
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the 1×1 is like to ride?

tommid
    Free Member

Shermer, I have had a 1×1 for the last five years and it is great to ride. To be honest I find Surly’s a bit lonbg in the top tube, I have a 20″ 1×1 and a 58cm Cross Check and I wish I had an 18″ and 56cm, respectivly, but I manage with shorter stems and a good choice of bar.

I mix it up, running it rigid with 2.4 tyres and with a Reba 100mm Dual air and a set of 2.25s. A very capable bike, heavy, but then its a Surly and it will last for ever. Its a bike that just wants to be ridden anywhere and everywhere. I cannot recommend them highly enough, but it is not for the racer in you, more the long day in day out rides and the chance to switch to rack carrying urban cruiser.

epicyclo

It’s an extremely versatile bike with enough room for a wide variety of tyre and wheel sizes if you like to experiment.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

To be honest I find Surly’s a bit lonbg in the top tube,

Strange. I find my 16 inch 1X1 quite short and run a 120mm stem to get the riding position right for me. I wouldn’t have a bigger frame size as I wouldn’t want to lose the standover. Run fully rigid mine makes a brill winter mud-plugger but when the trails dry out I’m off on something a bit racier.

shermer75
    Free Member

Hi Tommid- thanks for that!! How tall are you? I was looking at the 20″ too…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Surly Troll’ is closed to new replies.