Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • surly cross check – owners opinions please
  • brumsgrove
    Free Member

Thinking of getting one & building up as a fixie with mudguards etc… opinions sought..

sadexpunk

nowt wrong with a crosscheck. i had mine geared, ss'd and fixed, and enjoyed it however i built it up.

not the lightest bike in the world, but so what, i enjoyed it. pretty bombproof too id say.

marty
    Free Member

i love mine.

have run it as a:
    ss cx
    geared cx
    fixed commuter

recommendo

qwerty12
    Free Member

Yup, pretty heavy but i have never heard anything but praise for them from owners.
    Use mine as a geared commuter. Takes loads of abuse and probably the best bike i've ever owned

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I love mine as well. It may not be the flashiest or most modern looking bike but it's about the most versatile bike I own. To be honest its not really all that heavy for what you're getting and one thing I have noticed is how well it handles when you sling it through steep down hill bends.

Check out flickr.com to see just how many ways you can build one up, the options are seemingly endless. I've got mine built up with midge bars, MTB gears and down tube shifters. Don't ask me why, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

brumsgrove
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback chaps ( NIce builds too Marty ! )

scratch
    Free Member

I have Sadex's old one, fantastic bike. It's done a 30 mile commute most days over the last year, Fixed, SKS Chromoplastics, Brooks, Midges, Mini-Vee's.

I'd buy another if it went.

I'm a bit partial to Surly though, I have a 1×1, both bikes had that 'just right' feeling from the first pedal.

goriri
    Free Member

Slight hijack, I'm thinking of turning mine into my 'ride around the borough' utility work bike.
    So what's the biggest tyres / sks (or similar) guards combos anyone's managed? I'll be putting a rack on the rear too for panniers…I'm thinking more comfort / bobmproofness than speed.

firestarter
    Free Member

fandabidozi or some such word 😉
    heres mine in monster mode with 1.8 bonty 29er tyres on

tho as above im partial to surlys and a box arrived this aft with a karate monkey frame and forks in 😉 happy days

marty
    Free Member

So what's the biggest tyres / sks (or similar) guards combos anyone's managed?
    700×45+mudguards according to the Surly website. Largest I've tried is 700×25+mudguards. 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

my wide sks guards would fit with my bonty 1.8 ones just but ive seen a thread showing one with huge slicks on big apples i think and guards

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘surly cross check – owners opinions please’ is closed to new replies.