• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • superstar components torque wrench who has one?
  • vondally
    Free Member

so order one over the weekend arrived today, if you have one and used it what do you think?

core

Haven’t got one, but it looks an awful lot like this one from Halfords at twice the price!

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-maintenance/tools/pro-3-15-nm-torque-wrench-set

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Got one, works well, nice that it comes with various bits so you don’t need to order them seperately.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

^^ its ok

skids
    Free Member
    vondally
    Free Member

okay I bought one as I have lost some feeling in my hands, so I though torque wrench will click when it reaches the correct tension

I expected everything to be tight but not to correct torque.

So can I check

the easton stem says 5nw

I set the little window numbers to 4 via the knurled knob at the base by pushing in and turning releasing locks it out.

Correct?????

So my first issue is the 6mm bit will not fit any bolts

second the 4mm is really tight, and strips the head off the bolt

thirdly no click or sounds just keeps going

so I have an Easton stem with a stuck bolt and I am not sure that it is the wrench or the operators fault 😳

dpfr

I had this with a Lifeline one which I have now replaced with a much more expensive Park Tools one, which works fine. Couldn’t be bothered to sedn the Lifeline one back because it had lots of useful little bits with it.

dudeofdoom

It sorta goes wobbly and doesn’t make much in terms of audible feedback…:-(

I like mine 🙂

Haze

Had mine delivered today, as above no audible ‘click’ to speak of but a noticeable give in the shank.

Been meaning to get one for ages, will be very useful & hope it goes the distance.

Always thought I was heavy handed but turns out my spannering isn’t too bad after all, the bolts I’ve checked were all pretty close to the ratings.

unovolo
    Free Member

I have the Icetools version of it and dont have any problems with either the wrench or the bits, maybe you have received a duffer.

scotroutes

You don’t get the clicky ratcheting, it’s a one-off little flick.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Norbar all the way for me had it recerted and passed with no change to offsets for the 6 year running proper job

Picto
    Free Member

Seems ok to me. Click is noticable enough.

ahwiles
    Free Member

We calibrate our own torque wrenches at work, some of them are chuffing miles out when they’re delivered to us.

Like 200% out.

You’re better off using a little common sense than a non-calibrated torque wrench.

AD

My Superstar one came with a cert. I bought it at Christmas when they had some ridiculously cheap offer. Like ahwiles I am cynical about torque wrenches so checked it at work – the calibration values were actually accurate. Maybe I have been lucky but in my experience not all Superstar branded stuff is rubbish.
    I’d prefer a proper ‘click’ like my Norbar but hey this was cheap 🙂

duncancallum

I just use teng stuff, I dont do mountain bike specific.

just go and buy decent tools like teng, Mac or even halfords pro

vondally
    Free Member

thanks for all the replies

checked again this morning, yes certificate of accuracy

no click noise
    no one off flick
    no or impercievable movement or give in the shank

6mm hex piece does not fit any bolt
    4mm is so tight it is unusable.

Emailed them yesterday and awaiting reply, looks like I will be trying to return and replace with a more expensive one

z1ppy

Hmm trouble is, a more expensive one is a lot more expensive.. just had my (admittedly 20 year old) Norbar written off on a re-certification, and a replacement is £80+vat DOH!
    I bought an SSC one in the weekend sale but am wondering if I’m doing the right thing (hence interested in this thread)

vondally
    Free Member

as I said I have limted feeling in my hands but after mangleing the Easton stem, with what I would say are fairly okay bolts I may have have got a dud or it is operator error…….

nuke

Had mine since Feb and works fine. I ‘practiced’ on a few bolts first: no audible click, the wrench just flops once torque is reached…I didn’t realise this as first and happily just kept torquing the bolt expecting a click 😳 Didn’t find the instructions that clear mind

If anything (and assuming the torque is accurate), I’d been under torquing bolts, certainly when it came to bars/stem…I bought a new carbon bar and I didn’t feel comfortable torquing it to the stated torque with the torque wrench and went back to the ‘just enough’ method with my multitool I’ve done for years without consequence

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘superstar components torque wrench who has one?’ is closed to new replies.