Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • superstar components
  • konadale
    Free Member

Looking at the brake pads, are they any good or just cheap crap???

stevede
    Free Member

Might be worth using the search feature on this one, cheap and cheerful, they are ok. I have some as emergency spares but no longer using them on my brakes. Rate their chain guides and pedals though.

Ambrose

I buy all my pads from SSC. They are good value and work well. There were some reliability probs a couple of years ago that damaged the brand’s reputation here on STW but AFAIK the problems have been sorted. They have a no-quibble money back policy- so I’d suggest trying them out and seeing how you get on with them.

Someone will tell you they are rubbish I’m sure.

Tom83

I’ve used the sintered and kevlar versions. No problems with them in the soft southern mud!

adscatt
    Free Member

I always buy SSC pads i once spent £18 on some genuine xtr pads, great performance but lasted a month! I now use sintered SSC pads in both my bikes and ride in the grinding paste of the peak district, I seem to get good life and performance from these pads, give them a try.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

There were some reliability probs a couple of years ago that damaged the brand’s reputation here on STW

think you’ll find it was also the owners customer service/PR skills on this forum that did that.

I use the kevlar pads on both my DH and trail bikes and have never had a problem with them. Am just about to order some more.

konadale
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys, will order me some sintered pads, looking at the grips too

stumpyjon

You get what you pay for, they can be a bit thicker than standard pads (Avids) which can cause problems. I also had a pair delaminiate mid ride a month ago (first time for me in at least 10 pairs of pads) with about 1mm of pad remaining.

That said they work and the niggles are more than offset by the price for me.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

ive got nothing but praise for them. i use the organics and yeah they wear quick but at that price who cares? i had to buy pads at skyline the other day and was charged 18 quid. now im happy to pay extra to support a LBS (id have been scuppered without them) but i couldve got 4 pairs for that price at superstar and had some free haribo !!

bigbob38
    Free Member

Superstar fan here! 1 bike has wheels, headset, bb, stem, grips, and of cousre pads! Now just waiting for the new seatposts to arrive!

montylikesbeer

ive used the kevlar ones and they are superb on my hope x2′

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

theyre fine. some folks moan about delamination from time to time, but Ive had other brands do that too

Keef
    Free Member

if you like ‘customer service’ look elsewhere.

Discopads for example.DISCO

Kahurangi

if you like ‘customer service’ look elsewhere.

Discopads for example

I wouldn’t expect any better service. I let them know about the ‘sudden disintegrating failure’ of my dicobrakes pads just after the time lots of others were experiencing it.

I had expected a new set of pads and an apology for not issuing a recall. They ignored me.

At least superstar might give you the satisfaction of lying to your face.

Junkyard
    Free Member

good cheap reliable arts owner is a nitter but I do miss his posts
    Blames customers when theparts break etc
    First lot were poor rest been OK. Will us efor pads and nothing else.
    My SS doofer failed after 6 months and they did not reply to e-mails

Keef
    Free Member

Superstar told me ‘it was my fault’ for ‘incorrectly fitting’ my pads.

tune changed after I explained I been building/fixing bikes for 35 years………

tadpole
    Free Member

used their pads for a year, no probs, wear a bit quick in muddy conditions, but they,re dead cheap! Had good customer service from them, even when i screwed up my order!

walla24
    Free Member

Yep cheap, quick post, very quick to refund when I had an issue, great pads

Northwind

Calling Tandem Jeremy to the thr… Oh.

I use the kevlars, not because they’re cheap, they’re just my favourite pads. They’ve been properly tortured- swampy XC racing, fine. Being dragged constantly all the way down the world cup dh route, fine, caliper was burning hot but the brakes never faltered at all- I’d not blame the pads if they’d melted and dribbled out the bottom. Lifespan isn’t amazing but it’s good enough.

I don’t think I’d try them in Avids, too many people have reported problems with the fiddly Avid fitting system (is that just Juicies?). Also people do mention delamination, but tbh that’s just something brake pads do sometimes, I’ve had Shimano OEM pads do it and Disco pads break up a bit (and EBC on the motorbike). Never yet with Superstar but I’m sure it happens.

andywarner
    Free Member

no problems whatsoever. use them all the time. thought they were too good to be true when i first saw them but am impressed and use nothing else now. normally use the sintered ones which stand up fairly well to the NYM grime, but i’m just about to fit a pair of kevlar ones. £6.99 for a pair of kevlar pads is a bargain!

Del

cheap, but the proprietor behaved like a d1ck on here, firstly slating his customers, then re-registering under a different name, and slating competitor’s parts/equipment. very bad form. wouldn’t get my money.

Gary_C

+1 for Superstar pads.

Used their kevlar ones ( Hope M4 ) in the bike for trips to Morzine & Andalucia last year. Currently using their sintered ones over winter, & never had a problem with them.

I once had a set of ‘genuine’ Hope pads on the rear brake which delaminated on an Alpine descent, which was scary…

Also had no issues with Superstars s/s conversion kit.

Trimix
    Free Member

The price is great – so cheap it really dosent matter how fast they wear out. (wear rate is actually fine, I cant tell the diff compared to original Shimano pads)

As for service I had two pairs that must have got contaminated somehow either in use or by accident when washing the bike.

I sent them back and got two new ones and a bag of sweets – took a week or so, but I got free replacements.

Thats actually good service.

_tom_
    Free Member

Very good pads, I’ve had mine for ages and covered many a gritty-mud mile with them!

TheSanityAssassin

If you’re lucky you might get a granite fitting tool with them. Otherwise you’ll have to find your own trailside rock.

stevede
    Free Member

Kevlar pads are on offer 4 sets for £25 at the moment so going to give some a go on both my m4 and v2’s, hopefully they’ll be an improvement on the standard ones.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘superstar components’ is closed to new replies.