Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sunshine (the film)
  • GrahamS

Just finished watching it on Channel 4.

Conclusion: what?

Very odd.

nickc

Written by Alex Garland, starts with a half decent idea, loses interest about 1/2 why through, introduces new plot line, finish story with audience going: What? For further reference, see: The Beach, 28 Days later, etc etc

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Superb film. Saw it at the cinema at the time. If you're struggling to understand it, there's always 2012 still on release 😆

GrahamS

I think I understood okay. It wasn't exactly complicated. As nickc says it was just a bit "what?" at the end.

Like two films spliced together (and not in a good Dusk Till Dawn way). Seemed to start as a tense psychological sci-fi drama then switch into a chin-stroking trippy space zombie flick.

Which was odd.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Must be a theme. I watched Solaris (i think) and had no idea what it was about.
    Started watching Sunshine but gave up and went to bed, two days of late malt nights has drained me.

Resin42
    Free Member

It is a well done theme, the second half at least. I did like it but Event Horizon did it better.

Solaris was just pish. 90 mins of George Clooney looking miserable, and no wonder.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Visuals were good but overall I thought it was complete pants.

Ending was shite IMHO

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Didn't care about the characters and the story was all over the place, wish I had gone to bed.

grumm
    Free Member

Started watching it but got bored and went to bed after about half an hour. Shame there are so few good sci fi films.

sslowpace
    Free Member

The best sci-fi movie in a long time is Moon. Get it from your local video emporium now. It's much more about the idea and people, rather than special effects. Reccomended.

Caher

I thought it was one of those Christmas adverts for perfume, lots of moody models staring into the distance.

clubber
    Free Member

Disappointing I reckoned – I watched it a while ago and thought it was a bit crap then I saw it was on last night, promised myself I wouldn't watch it but still did.

Visually it's great but the script is just so flaky, I just couldn't ever take it seriously – eg all the mistakes that cause the situations are just so unnecessary and unlikely. This is mankind's last hope for salvation supposedly and they seem to have sent up a mission of misfits with no clear plans or procedures to avoid mistakes and so on.

I guess that's just the inner geek in me speaking though 😉

rOcKeTdOg

+1 for Moon, every sci-fi fan should see that one

cbike
    Free Member

You could have slotted in footage from BBC "Trawlermen" and nobody would have noticed. "Big haul the day lads!"

An unmanned mission would have bean way more interesting. and saved us all a lot of time too.

grievoustim
    Free Member

moon is ace – and thank goodness it doesn't descend into another "monster/ creature/ enemy in space movie" and instead maintains the standard right through to a satisfying conclusion at the end.

great effects – uses scale models instead of loads of CGI which just looks soooooooo much better IME

anniison
    Free Member

Another vote here for Moon. The models are def much better than CGI, kept the atmosphere of the film in tune.

I wasnt all that enamoured with sunshine, but the other half and his brother love it…

GrahamS

There just seemed to be huge holes in the Sunshine script:

– it takes them about sixteen months to get to Mercury from Earth (77 million km) but they seem to get from Mercury to the Sun very quickly (a distance of at least 46 million kilometers). That's a hell of slingshot effect.

– the Icarus computer conveniently neglects to mention fairly important things like "you don't have enough oxygen", "there is an intruder on board", "we appear to be on fire"

– the mad captain from Icarus I is seemingly unaffected by a full blast of sunlight in the observation deck, despite it thoroughly frying someone else earlier.

– somehow they have the appropriate equipment to dock with Icarus I, despite it not being part of the mission plan.

– the bloke running from the garden doesn't even try to grab a handful of seedlings, despite it being the only chance any of them have of making it back to earth.

– the bloke being killed while fixing the PC. Come on, surely they'd have a procedure for that: a suit to wear or a way to drain the coolant temporarily.

– the bloke freezing instantly in space. How's he done that in a vacuum?

Not to mention that the whole airlock-to-airlock without a suit thing is lifted directly from an Arthur C Clarke story called Earthlight.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I quite liked it, although you could argue it's too much style over substance. Nice and ominous. The slasher stuff from the second half didn't sit too well with the rest of it though.

nickc

the bloke freezing instantly in space. How's he done that in a vacuum?

Freeze dried, you know like the strawberries in yer posh breakfast cereals

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Event Horizon did it better. Solaris was just pish.

Completely the other way around for me. Strange isn't it?

derek_starship
    Free Member

I thought it was a complete pile of out of date ****.

Tsk.

DS

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sunshine (the film)’ is closed to new replies.